• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,158,475

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Afobe is a fantastic talent. The only thing I'm nervous about is where would he make it in this current set up? Do you think he could be the long-term RVP replacement? Or become a 'Sturridge' make-shift wide forward type?

ebouenolike

Established Member
He played well in pre season just wide of RvP and nearly grabbed a goal and an assist vs NYRB. I'd say he has the talent to play centrally, but with van Persie there it's going to be ridiculously hard to get a look in.

I think his long term future will be as a central striker, but early on he'll probably play wide. Interestingly, our future wide options of Ryo and AOC are very comfortable in a 4-4-2, so we *could* return to that in the future for home games where teams will park the bus.

Just nice to see an English striker come from our academy and look like he has a real shot of making it.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
ebouenolike said:
He played well in pre season just wide of RvP and nearly grabbed a goal and an assist vs NYRB. I'd say he has the talent to play centrally, but with van Persie there it's going to be ridiculously hard to get a look in.

I think his long term future will be as a central striker, but early on he'll probably play wide. Interestingly, our future wide options of Ryo and AOC are very comfortable in a 4-4-2, so we *could* return to that in the future for home games where teams will park the bus.

Just nice to see an English striker come from our academy and look like he has a real shot of making it.

The players currently competeing for RVPs spot aren't exactly setting the world alight, so Afobe should see some minutes in the CC imo.

He looked pretty impressive in the pre-season game I watched against NYRB

ebouenolike

Established Member
Dokaka said:
The players currently competeing for RVPs spot aren't exactly setting the world alight, so Afobe should see some minutes in the CC imo.

He looked pretty impressive in the pre-season game I watched against NYRB

Yep - for a young player, seeing Park and Chamakh ahead of you should make you work really hard as you must feel you're in with a shot if you prove remotely useful.

I was at the NYRB game, he never hid, was quick and strong, and looked like he was very comfortable at that level. The same kind of thing you noticed with Wilshere and Ches - that instant confidence that this was where they belonged.

Obviously not saying that he will be as big a success as those two, just that he has that same level of talent and confidence.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I like Afobe, not sure he is cut out for this level but he has a chance. If he keeps his head down and works hard for the next 2-3 years, then why not?

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
With the inevitable sales of Chamakh and Park added to the loan of Arshavin, I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one or two offensive reinforcements. However, I'd expect for Afobe and Joel Campbell to compete with each other for the role of RVP understudy/pupil during pre-season.

Afobe has just come back from injury and I doubt that he'd get playing time over our current offensive players, but if he can force his way into the setup that will bode well for next season.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I don't see the rush with Afobe, this season has been virtually wiped out for him. I don't see how he becomes a legitimate option for us next season, I say loan him out.

Campbell on the other hand, I think he might be more prepared for a squad role here next season as he does look more suited to a wide role. I know Afobe played wide against New York, but he's not a wide forward whatever way you look at it, and Americans can't play football anyway....:smile:

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
If the Podolski rumour is true then i think we're probably sorted in the wide positions. We'd have Podolski Walcott Gervinho and two exceptional prospects in Ryo and Chambo.

What i'd like to see added to the forward line then in addition would be a more traditional style centre-forward - something like what Afobe offers. Lets just say Suarez is brought in (who again would be more of cf/wf type), maybe Afobe could offer us that something different. Although sending him on loan would seem the wiser move.

yuvken

Established Member
Ox will be a regular next season - don't know how anyone can even doubt that. Question marks are with Theo, Gerv and Ryo. But I assume these guys will be our 4 wide options (if we have another one - yet, but I leave it for now).
What I'd like to point out is that this quartet - Theo, Ryo, Gerv and Ox are in my mind the fastest wide option combination we had ever.

Now that, to me, means we need to look very carefully at our AM situation. And if it were up to me, I'd have both Jack and another player around this level for that spot (we don't have it in the club, I'm sure you realize).

Afobe& the rest - yeah, why the rush? he's the first of the bunch, but let it happen gradually. If we have to replace VP, it's going to be our biggest task anyway - it's not via Afobe and the likes. And if he is destined to dispatch Chamakh, let him do it by getting experience and merit.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Afobe was a serious interest for Barca a few years ago (correct me if I'm wrong) so that says something about his potential. It'll be tough for him to break through next year as he just hasn't had enough experience being around the 1st team and can see him doing a loan move to another EPL team for part of the season. If the Podolski rumours are true then we will have two seriously good central strikers plus a wing quartet of Theo, Gervinho, Ryo, The Ox and maybe Joel Campbell which IMO is a pretty decent bunch.

We have lots of exciting youngsters in the reserves but as many have said before, we need a few ready made EXPERIENCED players to add to this squad rather than the untried potential that these youngsters offer us.

Flog the deadwood, bring through a couple youngsters and bring in a few proven talents and we should have a pretty good squad capable of challenging for some silverware next season

Vela

Established Member
Arsenal Res Vs Chelsea Res live stream

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/111608/1/watch-chelsea-res-vs-arsenal-res.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/1116 ... l-res.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vela

Established Member
Yeah I watched it. Gnabry was very impressive created a number of chances for Arsenal using his skill and pace. Aneke done well on his first game back scored and controlled the game from midfield. Them two linked up well together IMO throughout the match.

Martinez made a number of good saves at least four or five. Meade done well at left-back, Angha struggled a bit today. Rees worked very hard in midfield today. Ansah should have scored in the first-half. Yennaris done his normal job.

Chelsea were the better side in the first-half but Arsenal were the better side in the second-half. For Aneke's goal, Ebecillio played a throughball and Aneke got round Chelsea's keeper and scored. For Bellerin's goal he got past a player and cross/shot the ball and went down. Then Ansah's header was saved and Bellerin got up and headed in the Chelsea goal from a tight angle.

ricky1985

Established Member
Cheers Vela.

Martinez and Gnabry are the two I really like from this bunch. A number of other promising players in there, too.

ricky1985

Established Member
From the Lobby:

jmsmtthw28 said:
Gnabry vs Chelsea
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fq89zTk804&feature=g-all&context=G218aa56FAAAAAAAAAAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fq89zTk ... AAAAAAAAAA</a>
It's difficult not to get (very) excited about this kid - he really has looked crazy good for us at both U18 and Reserve level. And he's 16! Wow.

ricky1985

Established Member
Add that to what we've already seen of him and it's clear how good the kid is.

What I like about him is that he doesn't seem to have a weakness, he's strong right through his game, with a few outstanding weapons in his arsenal.

Arsenal_Soldier

Team to face West Brom kicking off about now..

Martinez, Jenkinson, Djourou, Miquel, Santos, Yennaris, Ozyakup, Gnabry, Aneke, Park, Chamakh.

So glad santos and jenkinson are back, will be interested to see aneke and gnabry too.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom