• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

German Football 2017/18

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
This may explay why it's taken RBL so long to sort their coach out for this season! Maybe they want some assurance from Nagelsmann, then Rangnick will take charge for this season.

Still don't get why Nagelsmann would decide on a team this summer though, everyone knows he was leaving after this season anyway. Just now it's official.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Still don't get why Nagelsmann would decide on a team this summer though, everyone knows he was leaving after this season anyway. Just now it's official.

He doesn't has to answer stupid questions all the season. Everyone knows now that it will be his last season there and everything is done. No stupid speculation. He can concentrate on the last season with CL.

He is in the club since 2011 - from U17 coach to the Bundesliga. I'm 100% sure, he still will be very motivated, because he has a special relationship to this club.

Just stupid for new transfers (and these which happen) - many surely joined the club because of Nagelsmann and maybe they haven't knew, that it will be his last season there.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Joining RB is more reasonable than I would have expected from Nagelsmann after having flirted with Bayern all of last season and being approached by Dortmund, Arsenal and apparently Real Madrid and who knows who else. Seems he's keeping his young age in mind and doesn't want to get burned too early. It feels like a natural step up the ladder.

More money, slightly bigger profile for the RB franchise, which gives him the resources to constantly challenge for a CL spot and build squads with more stability than at Hoffenheim, but not a league powerhouse - domestic or foreign - that demands instant success with a lot of pressure or is in a recalibrating phase like BVB or Arsenal.

General philosophy - business and footballing - wise the Hoffenheim and Leipzig model are quite close, too. Most factors point to this becoming a successful marriage.

Toby

Toby

Sky say no pre contract signed, player wants guaranteed game time. Possibly Boateng and/or Martinez moving away from Bayern could refreshen the situation.

Oh, and while SWR is rather serious and from the region, StN and StZ are closer to VfB. Last exclusive report from SWR about VfB was the signing of Jochen Sauer as DoF years ago, which turned out completely wrong.

Latest stuff points to Bayern paying more to secure negotiation rights for a pre contract, there's now talk about a CL clause which says that if Stuttgart reach the CL the 35m release clause is invalid or a lot higher and Bayern need to work around that by paying more or even the Bazis wanting to secure him this season as Boateng/Martinez move on.

Toby

@Borussin

How do you view Dortmund's business up until now?

Favre is a great choice as manager, I think, but the transfers have been somewhat underwhelming to me...

A central defence of Toprak, Akanji, Diallo and Zagadou seems a bit young and dodgy. Delaney and Wolf could turn out great, but also seems a bit hit and miss.

Also, the squad seems a bit bloated with Schürrle, Sahin, Rode, Toljan et al.

I hope Philipp gets a chance as starting CF, really fond of him and as a mobile 9 he could work great in a Favre team.

All in all seems Dortmund is rather going down the route of a slow rebuild with younger players than outright trying to keep up with Bayern.

What do you think?

Generally, business in the Bundesliga has been rather slow - both concerning in and outgoings. There's been a lot of shifting around been going on between BL clubs, but nothing too big or exciting. Most active clubs have probably been Schalke and Stuttgart.

Borussin

@Borussin

How do you view Dortmund's business up until now?

Favre is a great choice as manager, I think, but the transfers have been somewhat underwhelming to me...

A central defence of Toprak, Akanji, Diallo and Zagadou seems a bit young and dodgy. Delaney and Wolf could turn out great, but also seems a bit hit and miss.

Also, the squad seems a bit bloated with

, Sahin, Rode, Toljan et al.

I hope Philipp gets a chance as starting CF, really fond of him and as a mobile 9 he could work great in a Favre team.

All in all seems Dortmund is rather going down the route of a slow rebuild with younger players than outright trying to keep up with Bayern.

What do you think?

Generally, business in the Bundesliga has been rather slow - both concerning in and outgoings. There's been a lot of shifting around been going on between BL clubs, but nothing too big or exciting. Most active clubs have probably been Schalke and Stuttgart.

Hi toby!

Very much looking forward to how we get on once everyone is tuned into Favre's way - that could take a bit, but I'm cool with that.

I love Akanji, been impressed with him so far (for club and country). We have had such a crazy turn-over in central defence the last 3 yers, I just want things to calm down there now, and see 2 players get a run together so they can form a partnership. So my hope would be for him and Diallo to be that pairing long-term. Never been a fan of Toprak, but being as our other 3 are so young, he is probably handy to have a round! I kinda hope it'd be similar to when we had Santana, while Subotic and Hummels where kids. Not that Toprak is anywhere near the player Santana was! But you get my meaning.

Delaney will hopefully be a good signing, if he can add some steel to our midfield, been a bit of a soft touch there for a couple years really.

All in all, i feel pretty good. For sure the squad still needs trimming. Schürrle and Rode being two that I'm sure they are desperate to shift.

Most areas are covered, the balance of the squad seems better now. Hakimi arriving on loan gives much needed competition and cover at right back too. I expect big things from Sancho, and Philipp too, who I really like, and indeed he may well end up playing more up front. We could do with another striker though, just as we'd be light there squad number wise.

Of cousre, the big thing is - can we go through a season without half the players being injured for half of it! Our injury record the last 2 seasons has been shocking. Otherewise I feel positive, and expect them to run things far closer this season, it may be a bit of a rebuild. but there is still enough quallity there to be pushing Bayern far more.

Toby

https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...ach-erstem-fcb-test/11444704/34130?wkz=WXTNL1

A little piece in german on Bayern's first game against PSG (3:1 win) and spotting Kovac's style in their play.

I really don't like Bayern, but I very much like Kovac. Bit distressing :lol:
I think he's better than most give him credit for and a shrewd tactician, instead of a one trick counter mentality pony. Think he could surprise some being a very neat manager with a pragmatic style.

the talking points in the article:
- players seem very fit, did a lot of training
- changing between 3 and 4 at the back during the game
- alternating between sitting back circulating the ball and and a high, intensive press
- quicker, more direct play into the final third and less ball circulation than under Ancelotti, Heynckes and Guardiola
- Coman and Gnabry looked very good
- Renato looked good

BobP

Memri Fan
Had a quick look at the goals from the Dortmund/Liverpool match and that 2nd goal scored by Pulisic was just typical Favre.

Depth in attack on the transition.

Alexander Isak's decoy run made it easy for Schmelzer to pick out the 2nd wave of Dortmund attackers who were completely unoccupied. The Liverpool defenders had been sucked in too deep by Isak, with the midfield nowhere to be found.

Reminded me of this goal:

Not a carbon copy of Pulisic's goal but the principles remains the same. Johnson makes a forward run, which drags defenders with him which in turn creates space for Raffael.

Borussin

the score vs Liverpool flattered us, apart from the first 15 mins, we where 2nd best all game. And we should have beeen about 3-0 by the time we scored :lol:

Still, it's all good despite not playing very well apart from the 2nd goal, early days, it's what pre-season is for. Lot of work to be done.

JimmyTheMac

I don't really understand quite what Bayern are playing at recently. Hoeness is just an absolute mess. Kovac isn't the most inspiring manager for a club of Bayerns stature and neither have the signings. Gnabry Sanches Coman etc aren't exactly world class replacements for Müller Ribery and robben who are all finished at the very top level for competing for CLs. Even Lewa is getting on a bit and not comfortable a team Bayern. Goretzka is exciting but I'm just not seeing much ambition there or anything to get excited about.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
I don't really understand quite what Bayern are playing at recently. Hoeness is just an absolute mess. Kovac isn't the most inspiring manager for a club of Bayerns stature and neither have the signings. Gnabry Sanches Coman etc aren't exactly world class replacements for Müller Ribery and robben who are all finished at the very top level for competing for CLs. Even Lewa is getting on a bit and not comfortable a team Bayern. Goretzka is exciting but I'm just not seeing much ambition there or anything to get excited about.

They look happy in winning the Bundesliga for the time being which is hardly a difficult thing for them considering its a piss poor league.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
DFB pocal winner Frankfurt is already out in the first round of the DFB cup.

Bayern not impressive against Drochtersen/Assel, only 1:0 around 10 minutes before the end.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom