• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto Silva

Andrew

Sol said:
Bad passing, bad tackling etc.

But to be honest he has done that pretty much the whole season. It's not the first game where he has done that. But I think in this case he can be excused because he had a goal and two other very good shots. If he does that regularly then I will be happy no matter on how badly he tackles or passes. But if he tackles and passes well without really threatening the scorers then I would be happy with that as well. If he combines the two together consistently well then he will be a terrific player.

reggiepaul

Gurjit your vocabulary is becoming more and more aristocratic over the days. Are you some Lord of Punjab or something?

rachael-8

gilberto is doing great hes a real asset
he seems to have alot of pace,ive seen a couple of times of him runnin to the 6yard box nearly bursting blood vessels from like defensive positions
keep it up gilberto

A

Anonymous

reggiepaul said:
Sol, since you see him as a major goal threat how can you say his "general" play wasn't good enough?

Isn't a football teams aim to score goal? Shouldn't a player be commended if (as you say) he was a goal threat? Isn't being a goal threat worthy of commendation as a good game for a player whose key position is midfield?

Our posession for the game according to OPTA was 62%. Shouldn't our central midfield (Edu and Gilberto) be commended for holding so much of the posession for us?

Looking at what you yourself state and our posession it seems Gilberto was all over the place and basically was our man of the match, no argument.

Thanks

Did you see thw whole game?
If you did and you thought he played well then fair enough, but if you are basing your opinion of him being MOTM on 5 minutes of highlights and stats from Opta then i cant really respect that opinion.

I saw the game, thought he played poorly, that is my opinion. Everyword i say doesnt need to be deeply analysed.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Actually putting asside if he is good or not. NO player in an Arsenal jersey should be booed. I mean it, why would anyone do that?

Who cares if it is Kanu or Gilberto or Wiltord or whoever, it is not the gooner way.

Leave that bull to the Man U fans.

reggiepaul

Sol said:
If you did and you thought he played well then fair enough, but if you are basing your opinion of him being MOTM on 5 minutes of highlights and stats from Opta then i cant really respect that opinion.

I saw the game, thought he played poorly, that is my opinion. Everyword i say doesnt need to be deeply analysed.

I haven't "deeply" analysed anything sol mate. You highlighted something and then contradicted it which I found really bizarre. I was at the game and like many others around me after the game and during, I thought Gilberto was excellent. He got some good ratings from people and you yourself said he was a goal mouth threat. The other thing is OPTA stats I gave were for posession and how you can't commend your central midfield when you dominate posession is beyond me.

For those reasons and exactly what you said about Gilberto being a goal mouth threat, which I think for a central midfield player is bloody excellent and just short of brilliant, Gilberto had a good game. You said it yourself :wink:

johe

I've always rated gilberto, I was rather surprised when I joined this forum, as most of the members on it thought his passing, tackling, first touch, shooting was awful! :shock:
Although I wasn't able to watch as many of our games as I've done this year, I thought he did well, and that some of his tackles just infront of our box were great as well as his darting runs this year.
He may not be the Rivaldo or Ronaldinho kind of brazilian, but he still has some of the technique most south american footballers have.
I believe that applies to shooting as well. :wink:

jc8gooner

He seemed to play weel from the highlights I saw, but you never know with this guy. He is very inconsistent. One week he is god, the next he is, well, Leicester standard. Great header though, and four goals this season is an excellent return already. I would like to see himn get 10 gaols this season, cos he gets enough enuf chances, is the almost the best header in the team and he is always picked.

A

Anonymous

reggiepaul said:
Sol said:

I haven't "deeply" analysed anything sol mate. You highlighted something and then contradicted it which I found really bizarre. I was at the game and like many others around me after the game and during, I thought Gilberto was excellent. He got some good ratings from people and you yourself said he was a goal mouth threat. The other thing is OPTA stats I gave were for posession and how you can't commend your central midfield when you dominate posession is beyond me.

For those reasons and exactly what you said about Gilberto being a goal mouth threat, which I think for a central midfield player is bloody excellent and just short of brilliant, Gilberto had a good game. You said it yourself :wink:

I might not have explained myself properly.
What i meant was yes, he was a goal threat, so in this sense he played well and had a good game.
We dont often see this from him, so hopefully he will keep it up.

Where he didnt do so well is in what he normally does. I found him to give the ball away far too cheaply, pulling out of tackles and not really giving 100%. This is what he is in the team for and the jobs he has to do well, anything else, such as getting forward is a bonus. This is why i thought he had a poor game, as he didnt do what he is meant to do.

But this is why football is such a great game, we have two very different opinons on the same player from the same game.

Andrew

jc8gooner said:
He seemed to play weel from the highlights I saw, but you never know with this guy. He is very inconsistent. One week he is god, the next he is, well, Leicester standard. Great header though, and four goals this season is an excellent return already. I would like to see himn get 10 gaols this season, cos he gets enough enuf chances, is the almost the best header in the team and he is always picked.

You're right. If he turns it on he could be a great asset especially in the Champions League. But he does have days when he's switched on and off. Personally he was my MOTM for last years FA Cup final and I hoped for more of the same but it's really been up and down for him. When he scored earlier this season against Man City I thought he turned the corner (and was a big defender of him before then) but I have been dissapointed with his performances since.

KoLo28

i think him being a world cup winner has brought about higher than normal expectations and his solid performances week in week out are overlooked.

A.M.A.G.

He's a greast asset no doubt, I have said it before, he is the quiet one.

His tackles are nearly always at the right time and HARD. his innocent looking face gets him off from yellows and reds.

Gilberto the Baby Face Punisher... i wish people would leave him alone.... with Vieira back, he takes on a more defensive role... and so he sort of disappears into the back ground... but take a look at the players around that take on this role... Makalele, Geremi, Gattuso, and dare i say it? Roy Keane! yeah I said it!!!! Whut!! Whut!!! these cats, you can watch a game and feel you never really see them... why? they're prowling the middle of the park, jacking people then spraying the ball back to attackers. Gotta love 'em. They are necessary, very necessary. And Mr. Gilberto is a F*king G!!! Edu can't do what Gilberto does, and Ray, a G he is! but he isn't suited for the middle of the park.

A

Anonymous

he is crap

gives the ball away to easly , especially near the defence

how on earth this guy played on a world cup winning team

what a ordinary player :eek:ops:

A.M.A.G.

he is crap

gives the ball away to easly , especially near the defence

how on earth this guy played on a world cup winning team

what a ordinary player

I admit I don't get to see every Arsenal game... so I guess the games I miss are the ones he pisses away balls... cause i don't see it... the funny thing is ... Wenger must not watch those games either, cause he keeps playing him 8)

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
At the Blackburn game we played an interesting game with Vieira. We played 'If that had been Gilberto' when he had the ball, and I've gotta say if Gilberto had given the ball away as many times as Paddy did in the first half, he would have been crucified.

Henry_14 - actually he gives the ball away less than any of our other midfielders, is nowhere near crap and was in the Brazilian team on merit!

KoLo28

yeah paddy had a crap game, and no-one cares because he's 'Patrick Vieira' but when gilberto has a bad game (not often) then he gets critisism from everyone.

A

Anonymous

Paddy is comming back from injury and give up 2-3 games to get up speed.

this giberto guy is absolutly ****e and he has been playing for the last two years , and it has been always the same- crap

wiltord11

henry_14 said:
Paddy is comming back from injury and give up 2-3 games to get up speed.

this giberto guy is absolutly ****e and he has been playing for the last two years , and it has been always the same- crap

totally disagree sometimes he has bad games but he does travel to south america and play alot of internationals but i think hes a great player when you watch the next arsenal game watch him he is quality and i think he plays alot better for brazil cause they rely on him big time and players like ronaldo praise him all the time.
his passing sometimes lets him down but when it comes to tackling and quick passes hes top quality does a hell of alot of work off the ball and on it and he scores aswell cant ask for lot more from a defensive midfielder and he can play as center back aswell

kazu

gilberto has done some marvellous stuff for us but his inconsistency and passing is somewhat frustrating...

it will take some convincing but the best thing about him is his attitude... lacks confidence at times but wish that his hard work will pay off soon...

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom