• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

I disagree too. I can't think of a single match winning standout performance in five years. If not making mistakes and getting sent off is good, then he's been good for long stretches but he's average and the worst Arsenal midfielder I've watched. No disrespect directed at you. I just can't tolerate this player or our new found gutter standards.
I guess we have different opinions on what standout performances can be, he's had lots of games where he dominates the mid and is involved in winning goals, etc. Tends to step up big teams too, which has been something lacking in a lot of our team. He's always gonna lumber around and not really catch the eye and probably have some sloppy moments while still being very effective. We're not talking about Pirlo here.

The standards have certainly dropped but I think that applies across the board and I feel Xhaka is scapegoated to a certain degree. I've never said he can't be improved on, I just think he's overall much better than he's made out to be and people go out of their way to overlook his good qualities. He certainly doesn't help himself though.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
This guy. His apology means nothing because he's not really taken responsibility for his mistakes in a timely, proper way on the past or even now. He's now trying to be media savvy and win people round but his words grate. It's not football as we knew it. It's you making another totally unnecessary mistake yet again. Just leave in the summer.
"That's football" :lol:
As if he hasn't made the most errors leading to goals since he's made his debut. No Granit that's just you

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Similar story for this guy and has been for years, key midfielder but can be replaced. He's looked great next to Partey but it's time we move him on in the summer.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The standards have certainly dropped but I think that applies across the board and I feel Xhaka is scapegoated to a certain degree. I've never said he can't be improved on, I just think he's overall much better than he's made out to be and people go out of their way to overlook his good qualities. He certainly doesn't help himself though.
That's the thing, we have to start making cuts somewhere, and right now, Xhaka, Bellerin, and Luiz are players that can be easily improved on.
All 3 of them are playing much more than they should, they are basically starters for Arteta so we just have to stop making excuses for them and start moving them out of the club.
You can discuss on every other starter we have if they are good enough to take us back to the top 4, but for the 3 players I've mentioned I don't think any discussion is needed, they are simply not good enough and granted Xhaka is much better than the other two but still not good enough

blaze_of_glory

Come on man! Very good this year? **** me! I don't want to know what you consider average and/or poor if Xhaka is very good... Saka has had a very good season. Xhaka is average at best. And even then he costs us games all by himself.
Before this game that was basically the consensus outside the few scavengers hanging out here. He's been extremely solid. He does make too many high profile errors, it's a massive weakness (maybe enough to say he has to go) but he's hardly the only player who has cost us points. Luiz, Auba, Leno, etc. It's a team game. I just cannot stand how he is singled out while his contributions are dismissed. It's shockingly dishonest to me.

And if you think a mistake to level the score at 1-1 vs Burnely in the 39th minute is costing the game.... I mean there are 50 minutes of football still to play vs ****ing Burnely. The team dropped points together.

Worse as you can blame the manager if you're not getting in a struggling team. This guy's been at the heart of every team that's gone from second to relegation material. Without hyperbole, he is the worst player i've watched.
:fibs:

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I agree with you but that says more about how poor our CM options are, rather than anything good about Xhaka.

I think he'll still be a starting 11 player for us next season with the work that needs to be done on the rest of the squad. I've resigned myself to it.
I feel this way about Arteta tbh :lol:

As for Xhaka, yeah he and Leno f*cked up but there was enough time on that pitch where it shouldn't have taken 2 points you know? it's Burnley.

blaze_of_glory

That's the thing, we have to start making cuts somewhere, and right now, Xhaka, Bellerin, and Luiz are players that can be easily improved on.
All 3 of them are playing much more than they should, they are basically starters for Arteta so we just have to stop making excuses for them and start moving them out of the club.
You can discuss on every other starter we have if they are good enough to take us back to the top 4, but for the 3 players I've mentioned I don't think any discussion is needed, they are simply not good enough and granted Xhaka is much better than the other two but still not good enough
That's fine, if we can improve on any player we should do it.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

As for Xhaka, yeah he and Leno f*cked up but there was enough time on that pitch where it shouldn't have taken 2 points you know? it's Burnley.

Oh yeah for sure. 9 times out of 10 Pepe buries that chance and / or If VAR didn't cheat us we probably wouldn't be paying much attention to Xhaka's error.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This guy. His apology means nothing because he's not really taken responsibility for his mistakes in a timely, proper way on the past or even now. He's now trying to be media savvy and win people round but his words grate. It's not football as we knew it. It's you making another totally unnecessary mistake yet again. Just leave in the summer.
He's really good at these reserved apologies. Just say 'sorry I ****ed up', and done. While stating that he's just as frustrated as we are may well be true, we don't ****ing care what you feel. As for 'that's football'... no, it's really not. That's YOU Granit. It's not football. He just can't help himself.

Melquiades

Xhaka was absolutely ****ing horrible in November - December through the losing stretch. One of the worst stretches of play I've ever seen from an Arsenal player.

Since the red in the last Burnley game, he came back and seemed to get his head screwed on right and has been vastly improved and his performances since the start of 2021 have for the most part been very good.

But there's always the risk he's going to lose you a game doing something blindlingly stupid. As he did today.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

But he gave them something to hang on to. His idiocy change the whole course of the match.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I guess we have different opinions on what standout performances can be, he's had lots of games where he dominates the mid and is involved in winning goals, etc. Tends to step up big teams too, which has been something lacking in a lot of our team. He's always gonna lumber around and not really catch the eye and probably have some sloppy moments while still being very effective. We're not talking about Pirlo here.

You've used the word dominated but since he arrived, we've rarely had control of the midfield. Spoiling the other teams tactics is one thing. Being the linchpin for own play is another and doing that is how you win. I agree that he lumbers around and he catches the eye for that very reason. I don't find him effective except at keeping things ticking over when everyone else is on their A game. I'm glad we agree that he can be improved upon and we must. His weaknesses have affected the way we play in that it's eroded the trust of a few players who won't pass to a team mate who isn't in acres of space.. This makes us slow in attack and his fans have said that he does this to our tempo as a tactic. Every man and his dog had criticised our slow tempo. I’ve seen Partey just standing around begging for the ball at times. I don't think he's made out to be worse than he is. No big club will touch him. My Inter friend is adamant the fans there don't want him. If we see ourselves as a fallen giant, then Xhaka only goes to a second tier team. His position is crucial. We've had trash GK's, CB's and forwards but I can't think of a past midfielder so poor in so many aspects who didn’t have a reason to be that way.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He's really good at these reserved apologies. Just say 'sorry I ****ed up', and done. While stating that he's just as frustrated as we are may well be true, we don't ****ing care what you feel. As for 'that's football'... no, it's really not. That's YOU Granit. It's not football. He just can't help himself.
At least he is giving apologies now. Last year January when he put himself up for sale and no one except Hertha Berlin touched him with a barge pole must have been a truly humbling experience. Now he really wants his contract to be extended. So he has to this stuff even though it is for namesake.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Before this game that was basically the consensus outside the few scavengers hanging out here. He's been extremely solid. He does make too many high profile errors, it's a massive weakness (maybe enough to say he has to go) but he's hardly the only player who has cost us points. Luiz, Auba, Leno, etc. It's a team game. I just cannot stand how he is singled out while his contributions are dismissed. It's shockingly dishonest to me.

And if you think a mistake to level the score at 1-1 vs Burnely in the 39th minute is costing the game.... I mean there are 50 minutes of football still to play vs ****ing Burnely. The team dropped points together.

:fibs:
You are just deflecting in this post. BS from start to finish in my view, but please go ahead if it makes you happier. Personally think you are lost trying this whataboutism. Xhaka stinks the place up. End of story!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
At least he is giving apologies now. Last year January when he put himself up for sale and no one except Hertha Berlin touched him with a barge pole must have been a truly humbling experience. Now he really wants his contract to be extended. So he has to this stuff even though it is for namesake.
He can definitely smell that extension. He didn't apologise after the last **** up immediately after Pepe did, but felt he should lavish us with one this time for one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a football pitch. But it's ok because , like, he's frustrated too and that's his own version of football by his own admission, which is very honest of him 🐴

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom