• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Xhak Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I have asked it many times, but how do people see him working in this new tactic, with two fullbacks next to him? Never got answers. If Partey gets injured, because this season we have Zinchenko and Vieira for CMF positions.

Arteta said Xhaka can play there after I had asked about it, which confirms my hunch about it.

Do people think that his recent form can be for #6 role also, not only for this new role? Are those two fullbacks enough cover and help for him to be able to function in #6 role well again?

The biggest problem was always counter-attacks, because Xhaka is slow, which caused many mistakes. He has always been good positionally imo, and intelligent, unless he gets fuming or gets alone into a too difficult situation.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Then he stopped doing that in 2017 and started getting caught in possession, misplacing passes from deep and carded, hence his new position. His future is in this new role, be happy with that 👍🏼

How about I bring up my stats? What do the years 2021 and 2019 have in common?
Well, many things I’m sure. But one of them is that in both seasons ending in those years, no premier league player player more passes into the final third than Granit Xhaka. Always has been a top player.

drippin

Well, many things I’m sure. But one of them is that in both seasons ending in those years, no premier league player player more passes into the final third than Granit Xhaka. Always has been a top player.
Remember the claim that progressive passes for Xhaka don't count, because he often passes forward to the same side of the field?

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I have asked it many times, but how do people see him working in this new tactic, with two fullbacks next to him? Never got answers. If Partey gets injured, because this season we have Zinchenko and Vieira for CMF positions.

Arteta said Xhaka can play there after I had asked about it, which confirms my hunch about it.

Do people think that his recent form can be for #6 role also, not only for this new role? Are those two fullbacks enough cover and help for him to be able to function in #6 role well again?

The biggest problem was always counter-attacks, because Xhaka is slow, which caused many mistakes.

As a single pivot you’re right he would be exposed. Far too much ground to cover. But in a different system with a double pivot (provided the DMF partner is athletic and can defend) he has always been exceptional. Contrary to what people are saying, he is not a #8 for Switzerland, nor was he at Gladbach. He is a #6 in a double pivot.

I said this before, but the reason Xhaka is playing as a #8 has nothing to do with “playing him higher up to mask his weaknesses”, it is to make Arsenal a much better attacking and unpredictable unit. When did the system change happen last season, of which many people point to as the turning point? (Obviously not anywhere near as good as it is now) It was the Everton game (loss) Xhaka returned from injury in. At the time people thought it was because that’s when Aubameyang was dropped. Had nothing to do with Auba, it was when Xhaka returned to the team, Arteta had it planned.

Disclaimer: If Switzerland changes the system now that they see how well he’s doing as a #8 is something different.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We went over this while you were going through 5 VPNs a week 🤣 That stat, like a lot of them, is pretty sketchy

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
We went over this while you were going through 5 VPNs a week 🤣 That stat, like a lot of them, is pretty sketchy

I’m happy to go over them any time. It’s a mightily impressive stat, even if most passes are to an overlapping Tierney.
It’s the type of stats Toni Kroos gets lauded for, or Xavi or Alonso in their days. All players similar to the type of #6 Xhaka used to play.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Remember the claim that progressive passes for Xhaka don't count, because he often passes forward to the same side of the field?
Every team has a way of playing and little partnerships that will paint some in a better or even worse light when it comes to stats. What was the criteria for a pass to count as ‘progressive’?

drippin

As a single pivot you’re right he would be exposed. Far too much ground to cover. But in a different system with a double pivot (provided the DMF partner is athletic and can defend) he has always been exceptional. Contrary to what people are saying, he is not a #8 for Switzerland, nor was he at Gladbach. He is a #6 in a double pivot.

I said this before, but the reason Xhaka is playing as a #8 has nothing to do with “playing him higher up to mask his weaknesses”, it is to make Arsenal a much better attacking and unpredictable unit. When did the system change happen last season, of which many people point to as the turning point? (Obviously not anywhere near as good as it is now) It was the Everton game (loss) Xhaka returned from injury in. At the time people thought it was because that’s when Aubameyang was dropped. Had nothing to do with Auba, it was when Xhaka returned to the team, Arteta had it planned.

Disclaimer: If Switzerland changes the system now that they see how well he’s doing as a #8 is something different.
How do you know it had nothing to with Auba? Where is the proof?

Because it's pretty obvious that Auba changed to Laca will affect things.

drippin

Every team has a way of playing and little partnerships that will paint some in a better or even worse light when it comes to stats. What was the criteria for a pass to count as ‘progressive’?
I just think it was funny when someone or many, said that Xhaka's progressive passing stats being always so high, does not somehow count because he passes so much along the left side. Of course stats don't tell the whole truth.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
How do you know it had nothing to with Auba? Where is the proof?

Because it's pretty obvious that Auba changed to Laca will affect things.

Changing Auba to Laca was a bit more effective, but if you look at the performances and the way we played whilst Xhaka was injured for 2 Months and after Xhaka returned from injury you will see a world of difference. Whilst he was injured we were often lucky, we were defending most of the time, trying to maximise results. After Xhaka got back we started playing well, we started the early echelons of getting into the way of playing the way that Arteta wants us to play.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I just think it was funny when someone or many, said that Xhaka's progressive passing stats being always so high, does not somehow count because he passes so much along the left side. Of course stats don't tell the whole truth.

It’s not the player that I’m not a believer in when it comes to the stat, it’s the stat that I don’t believe in and the criteria.

drippin

It’s not the player that I’m not a believer in when it comes to the stat, it’s the stat that I don’t believe in and the criteria.
Well, what about those passes into final third? If what @BergMan says is true that Xhaka was the one who passed there most in some seasons, along with with big amount progressive passes, do they tell you anything?

Because I remember this discussion being related to how some people claimed Xhaka is a sideways passer not contributing enough to attack or something.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Amazing player and leader for this young squad well done Xhaka and Arteta. Currently the best left sided 8 on the entire planet as I type this I can't believe my eyes.

1663625045816.png

The above is me watching Xhaka playing the best football of his life every week. What a player, what a leader, what a man!

Last edited:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Yo @Jury I need this filled out by end of day.

FdCG1DcWQAAQ_D1

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
In terms of changing the false narratives… fans getting back on his side has been achieved. Next step is the commentators, pundits and journalists. Granit Xhaka is a great, lovely person off the field and they need to get that message across. Not this nasty aggressive person they keep portraying him as. After that, we might win with the referees agenda:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Literally my reaction when I saw that pass for the goal.

That is what a central midfielder in his prime looks like, not shooting pigeons out the sky like Partey :lol:

Roma almost pulled a fast one on us, Mourinho knew.
:lol: :lol:

Outside of De Bruyne, I can't think of a better midfielder on form in the league currently. I thought with Zinchenko out that we might see a bit of a drop off but he's gone from strength to strength. That pass was delicious.

On the Roma topic, €12M Euros bro. Man was lighting up the European Championship and 80% of this forum wanted him sold at that paltry fee and wanted relegated Sander Berge as a replacement. Mourinho had him speaking Italian already, so close.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
It seems the way to become an idol in modern Arsenal involves ****ting on the club in some capacity first. Dragging the club to unheard of lows, fighting with the fans..

There's probably a word for that kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom