• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hector Bellerin: The B's Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
tenor.gif

say yes

forum master baiter
I think the main problem is that he's actually a far worse footballer than everyone initially thought. He was exciting with his pace and youthfullness going forward - but in the long run he couldn't add to his game.

Concerning the defensive side by now his lack of positional awareness has caught up with him and as he seemingly lost just a tad of pace this makes him a liability. His allround defending - not relying on pace and last man tackles but actual defensive work - has always been dodgy and he couldn't really add to it.

He's still very dangerous if he can get into the final third and close to the box, but his crossing is still awful and he makes less use of his pace to take on players, which actually gets him less into the area where he can be dangerous than when he broke through - he seems too concerned with not loosing the ball which in turn makes him too timid to try and break up field. He really doesn't do anything to get the ball higher up the pitch and if he actually ends up in the final third it's 'cause play didn't progress through his right side.

Going back to my initial statement that he's a worse footballer than fans thought: I think it's clear when you look at him during build up phases - he's virtualy useless. He doesn't help to progress play up the field in any way. He doesn't make runs anymore - neither off nor with the ball - his passing is too bad and him constantly trying to hit one touch passes but misplacing them doesn't really help, his go-to pass is the backwards pass to the right CB, which, when a team sits high to press Arsenal consistently pressures said CB, and he's actually technically too limited and slow in his head for intricate passing solutions in such situations. He basically stays wide and is a pure passenger, receiving the ball from CM or CB and only shifting it right back. Opposition teams love to press him since one or two seasons, more so than Monreal on the other side and he was clearly more targeted than Kolasinac yesterday.

He's turned from an exciting talent into a very average rightback up until now, and as someone just shortly before me stated his career does have similarities to Walcott's. The guy really needs to step up in all regards or he should be sold as long as his name has some valuation to it. With Lichtsteiner's CL and WC performances and Bellerin's preseason in mind, the Swiss guy should be ahead of him for now.

Nail on the head tbh. His lack of ability on the ball is actually painful at times. A far cry from the technically able 'Spanish' fullback we all saw (imagined?) when he broke through.

Spanish Carl Jenkinson on the past year's form.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
he is so much better closer to the middle of the pitch instead of hugging the line.

I don't think he's any better when tucking in as he's lacking passing and technical ability, though I do have to agree that he looks a bit better when doing it, but I think it's down to him seeing more of the ball than when staying wide and it being the only instance left in which he uses his pace to create danger around the box when quickly overlapping right at the box's edge, which is sort of a trademark thingy he does.

In a formation like yesterday, which was basically a 4-3-3 with Özil nominally on the right who'll eventually ghost in and drift around the final thiid, you'd actually need a pretty one dimensional rightback - someone who's physical, keeps width, defends and continually overlaps not just around the box, but in wider areas. Bellerin coming in limits Özil's space without too much payoff and actually overcrowds the attacking third in an unfavourable way for Arsenal. For all their faults, Kolasinac and Monreal are far better at timing when to go wide for the touchline and when to charge at the box or tuck in a little. Similar to Kimmich, Bellerin tries to play the all great do it all fullback game alike to Alves or Lahm, but he's just not good enough.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I don't think he's any better when tucking in as he's lacking passing and technical ability, though I do have to agree that he looks a bit better when doing it, but I think it's down to him seeing more of the ball than when staying wide and it being the only instance left in which he uses his pace to create danger around the box when quickly overlapping right at the box's edge, which is sort of a trademark thingy he does.

In a formation like yesterday, which was basically a 4-3-3 with Özil nominally on the right who'll eventually ghost in and drift around the final thiid, you'd actually need a pretty one dimensional rightback - someone who's physical, keeps width, defends and continually overlaps not just around the box, but in wider areas. Bellerin coming in limits Özil's space without too much payoff. For all their faults, Kolasinac and Monreal are far better at timing when to go wide for the touchline and when to charge at the box or tuck in a little.

I remember Hector playing for our academy where he constantly bombed forward feom inside. that top corner of the goalkeepers area, storming in, actually using his pace and the space there to get in, pass, cut back pass, shot, play one two, do crosses (from close range). did it so well. everytime he does that for the first team it looks natural to him, and he actually does well most of the tile. problem is, it only happens by accident, as the game gets him in that position, not that we do it on purpose.

he does have good technique, makes good runs (when they are not one dimensional like they usually are - hug the line and thats it), when in full speed and timing his runs (without ball) he leaves defenders guessing and most often then not: outruns them. when not so wide, but actually just inside or just outside of the box; he does well with his crosses/passes/cut backs, as his vision is actually quiet decent (natural midfielder). push him on the wing and its a different concept and completely different skillset one needs to have to do well there, and it just isnt Hector’s game.

no wonder he’s being so average for so long and so constantly, as he keeps being played the way it doesnt really bring best out of him. at such young age and at such big club; it’s not something you overcome easily.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I remember Hector playing for our academy where he constantly bombed forward feom inside. that top corner of the goalkeepers area, storming in, actually using his pace and the space there to get in, pass, cut back pass, shot, play one two, do crosses (from close range). did it so well. everytime he does that for the first team it looks natural to him, and he actually does well most of the tile. problem is, it only happens by accident, as the game gets him in that position, not that we do it on purpose.

he does have good technique, makes good runs (when they are not one dimensional like they usually are - hug the line and thats it), when in full speed and timing his runs (without ball) he leaves defenders guessing and most often then not: outruns them. when not so wide, but actually just inside or just outside of the box; he does well with his crosses/passes/cut backs, as his vision is actually quiet decent (natural midfielder). push him on the wing and its a different concept and completely different skillset one needs to have to do well there, and it just isnt Hector’s game.

no wonder he’s being so average for so long and so constantly, as he keeps being played the way it doesnt really bring best out of him. at such young age and at such big club; it’s not something you overcome easily.

Don't want to start a big discussion, I just disagree. The boldened part highlights it for me. While you think the team doesn't use Bellerin to his strengths, I think he's just not as good as we all thought when he came through and that he's just not able to really help the team at the moment at this level. Doing something at Academy level is different to doing it in a top flight, no less consistently. You say he doesn't get used the right way and looks bad for it, I say he looks bad 'cause he fails to produce what he's good at often enough. The accident you mention is not the team's fault, it's Bellerin not being good enough to do it consistently. That's just my stance but I get yours.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Don't want to start a big discussion, I just disagree. The boldened part highlights it for me. While you think the team doesn't use Bellerin to his strengths, I think he's just not as good as we all thought when he came through and that he's just not able to really help the team at the moment at this level. Doing something at Academy level is different to doing it in a top flight, no less consistently. You say he doesn't get used the right way and looks bad for it, I say he looks bad 'cause he fails to produce what he's good at often enough. The accident you mention is not the team's fault, it's Bellerin not being good enough to do it consistently. That's just my stance but I get yours.
I get your stance, so no problem there. problem is; until we see us use him in a right way my stance will be under question mark as no one can say ‘that’s not right’. we keep seeing Hector play one way, and most of us agree he is super average. would he be better used differently? we gotta wait and see.
I used his academy years to back up what I always thought of him, and what he still does so well, but we rarely see it because Hector would be even more average if he just dis what he really is good at, meaning he would clog the area that is already occupied and leave us with no width on the right side at all.

Wenger never used wingers so Bellerin had to be one, and now he is basically on the same path as we dont have a right winger to even try and play a bit different on that right side.

I actually give credit to Bellerin for keeping his head down and play as he is told, instead of playing his own game and screw us even more.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
With three in midfield and a more organized defense we can totally get away with playing Bellerin

We need the pace and stamina

Yeah he isnt a total defensive giant but most defensive greatness comes with age anyway

You can't teach pace , and that scares some people for some strange reason

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
he does have good technique, makes good runs
Couldn't be further from the truth. He almost always needs two touches when receiving a ball and generally looks like he was picked up from the street in terms of technique.

As for the second one, what good runs? He goes up to a certain point and then when receiving the ball he might make one or two steps and then pass it back.
You rarely see him go for quick one-two's with a team mate and try to get the better of the opponent by crossing or penetrating the box.
He just doesn't have the balls, technique and brain to do this job at a top level. As average as they come.

Enz__

Anti Antique Abuse
With three in midfield and a more organized defense we can totally get away with playing Bellerin

Yeah he isnt a total defensive giant but most defensive greatness comes with age anyway

He doesn't even seem to have the explosive pace anymore to be honest. Perhaps it's just me but he seems to have gotten noticeably slower. Which is a big issue for a RB that was/is quite reliant on that pace. But maybe i'm just remembering him being quicker than he actually was?

Everyone has bad days, he wasn't even that bad. World class for two seasons but we should forget it because of one friendly.

He was definitely that bad and i'm not sure if you're being serious or we're seeing different things but he has never been world class. He was a world class prospect after his breakout season but since then he's not progressed at all and some would argue has regressed even. I still have high hopes for him but it's honestly becoming more difficult to defend him with every passing game and no i'm not talking about these friendlies.

TheArsenalis

Pace is at most a added benefit to your overall game. Ill take dirk kuyt over a pacey player with no game understanding any day. We won't get away with it because the defence is organised his short comings Will ultimately fail thw team.

If he had the basics of taking on his man, a good tackler have a bit of bravery about him, then i could excuse his performance but he is a coward, cant ever beat a player and a crap tackler.

He came to us as some kinda wonder kid winger but then got sussed out, shipped to rb because of his.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I don't think this guy enjoys football at all, he just does the minimum to keep fitness level at a professional level. There is no ambition in him to improve or to win things, he is just happy enough to take his paycheck. Can't think of anyone else that managed to regress from 18y to 23y.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
I don't think this guy enjoys football at all, he just does the minimum to keep fitness level at a professional level. There is no ambition in him to improve or to win things, he is just happy enough to take his paycheck. Can't think of anyone else that managed to regress from 18y to 23y.

Got the big contract far too soon but at the same time if we didn't give it to him then we risked losing him after the impressive start. Catch 22 situation.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He doesn't even seem to have the explosive pace anymore to be honest. Perhaps it's just me but he seems to have gotten noticeably slower. Which is a big issue for a RB that was/is quite reliant on that pace. But maybe i'm just remembering him being quicker than he actually was?
No, fully agree. He IS slower.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
One thing i'm very interested to see from Emery and from Lichtsteiner's influence is how Bellerin's crossing develops. He is constantly castigated by fans for being a bad crosser, and yes tbf he is a poor crosser. But what people completely ignore is how Wenger coached his fullbacks and what he wanted from them.

Wenger explicitly wanted his fullbacks to get to the by-line and pull the ball back to the edge of the box, usually on the ground. That is what Bellerin has been coached to do and it's one of his strengths. He has not been coached to cross from deep, like Trippier is very good at doing.

Hopefully that's something he can introduce into his game to make him a more well-rounded fullback. He can still get to the by-line, but he needs to be confident in crossing from deep to add an extra string to his bow. It's why he resorts to passing backwards sometimes, because that isn't in his locker yet. He might not develop into a world-beating crosser, but as long as he's a useful crosser that should be ok.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

One thing i'm very interested to see from Emery and from Lichtsteiner's influence is how Bellerin's crossing develops. He is constantly castigated by fans for being a bad crosser, and yes tbf he is a poor crosser. But what people completely ignore is how Wenger coached his fullbacks and what he wanted from them.

Wenger explicitly wanted his fullbacks to get to the by-line and pull the ball back to the edge of the box, usually on the ground. That is what Bellerin has been coached to do and it's one of his strengths. He has not been coached to cross from deep, like Trippier is very good at doing.

Hopefully that's something he can introduce into his game to make him a more well-rounded fullback. He can still get to the by-line, but he needs to be confident in crossing from deep to add an extra string to his bow. It's why he resorts to passing backwards sometimes, because that isn't in his locker yet. He might not develop into a world-beating crosser, but as long as he's a useful crosser that should be ok.

Dunno man , Lichsteiner not a good crosser either , Lauren , Eboue , Cole and Monreal were , Bellers is just not very good .

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Dunno man , Lichsteiner not a good crosser either , Lauren , Eboue , Cole and Monreal were , Bellers is just not very good .

You think? I thought Lichtsteiner was a fairly decent crosser. I agree, I don't think Bellerin is naturally a superb crosser of the ball, but that doesn't mean he can't significantly improve. He simply hasn't been coached to cross from deep.

He actually was very productive when in his first season. He was even a goal threat.

He is a lot better than most of you are trying to make out. Not that technically gifted or a good crosser, but that shouldn't be his main focus. When Laca is up top with horrendous movement in box I don't want him to cross.

I want Bellerin do what he did, cut insider, trying one two in the box plays or even shoot. He was good at that in is breakthrough season!

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

You think? I thought Lichtsteiner was a fairly decent crosser. I agree, I don't think Bellerin is naturally a superb crosser of the ball, but that doesn't mean he can't significantly improve. He simply hasn't been coached to cross from deep.

In all honesty , 2-3 weeks of just working on it by yourself is enough to improve and you don't need a coach either . Just a matter of drilling.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He actually was very productive when in his first season. He was even a goal threat.

He is a lot better than most of you are trying to make out. Not that technically gifted or a good crosser, but that shouldn't be his main focus. When Laca is up top with horrendous movement in box I don't want him to cross.

I want Bellerin do what he did, cut insider, trying one two in the box plays or even shoot. He was good at that in is breakthrough season!

He was pretty decent in his break out season so was his crossing and end product . So not sure why he has deteriorated technically .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom