• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Would you be happy with Mkhitaryan joining Arsenal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Well we're being linked to Dortmund's Mkhitaryan.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/30/arsenal-dortmund-henrikh-mkhitaryan-midfield

Henrikh Mkhitaryan is a summer transfer target for Arsenal. They have sent scouts to watch the Borussia Dortmund attacking midfielder and have further monitored his progress via video clips.

The 27-year-old, who was close to joining Liverpool and also Tottenham Hotspur during his time at Shakhtar Donetsk, is under contract at Dortmund until the summer of 2017 and the Bundesliga club are trying to get him to agree to fresh terms.

The Armenia international is torn between renewing at Dortmund – for whom he signed in 2013 from Shakhtar for £23.5m – and considering a move to the Emirates Stadium. He would have no shortage of other offers from clubs across Europe.

Mkhitaryan caught the eye for Dortmund against Arsenal in the Champions League meetings between the clubs in the previous two seasons and he has been an outstanding performer in Europe and the Bundesliga, particularly this season, when he has scored 20 goals in all competitions. Quick, technically gifted and clinical, he can play in any position across the line behind the striker.

Arsène Wenger is likely to lose Mikel Arteta, Mathieu Flamini and Tomas Rosicky from his midfield in the summer. All three are out of contract and not expected to be given new deals, with age and injury problems having caught up with them while there is uncertainly over Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s future at the club.

Wenger signed Mohamed Elneny from Basel last January and the midfielder has made a positive start but there will be room for the Arsenal manager to make further additions in the department.

As well as Mkhitaryan, Wenger wants Granit Xhaka, the Borussia Mönchengladbach holding midfielder. The 23-year-old, who has an imposing physical presence plus skill and intelligent reading of the game, will carry Switzerland’s hopes at the European Championship in the summer.

Vladimir Petkovic dropped Gökhan Inler, the experienced Leicester City midfielder, for the recent international friendlies, partly because he believes Xhaka can be the leader of his Swiss team.

Wenger is also interested in the Lorient left-back Raphaël Guerreiro, who can play further forward at left midfield, too. Arsenal have made repeated scouting checks on the pacy 22-year-old Portugal international and, were he to sign, Wenger could listen to offers for Kieran Gibbs.

There is of course the likelihood that he's 1 year left on his contract so he's being linked to his in a bid to get a better deal. Interesting enough I suppose.

billyf

Amazing player. He will solidify our midfield if he comes. That's for sure. Both a ball winner and a skilled player.

Really amazing transfer if this happens. Almost as good as Sanchez's.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I've always like him a lot as an all round player. Massive choker in front of goal though. ****ing huge.
Must say, this would be a typical Wenger signing if it came off. Not really keen on hoping another player develops into a goalscorer though.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
I've always like him a lot as an all round player. Massive choker in front of goal though. ****ing huge.
Must say, this would be a typical Wenger signing if it came off. Not really keen on hoping another player develops into a goalscorer though.
Puts up phenomenal numbers for a midfielder though, 20 goals & 18 assists so far this season.

Tir Na Nog

I think he's a great player, and is one I've admired for many many years now. I first watched him like 4/5 years ago by chance while looking up other Shaktar players like Costa and Willian and from the few clips I saw of him I thought he looked pretty special.

If we did get him though as well as a CM/DM (i.e Xhaka) then it almost certainly signals that Wenger has very little faith in Wilshere's fitness as well as losing faith in a few other players who play in any of those 5 midfield positions.

The signing would also scream as Wenger trying an alternative route in getting another attacker without it being a striker.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Puts up phenomenal numbers for a midfielder though, 20 goals & 18 assists so far this season.
I didn't know that. That's obviously phenomenal! Every time I see him he's choking. There is clearly hope on that front. As I say, I've always liked his all round game though.

Tir Na Nog

His goals/assists record seems a little "flakey" over his career. This season he's been very productive, last season not so much ( 5 goals and 5 assists I believe) and then 13/14 he had 17 goals and 12 assists. Though you could probably excuse last season as Dortmund as a whole being quite poor.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Would signing this guy and Xhaka signal a possible Ramsey departure?

We can only hope.

Mkhitaryan has been superb for Dortmund this season, I'd take him over Reus. Alexis, Özil and Mkhitaryan attacking mid trio is a mouth watering prospect .

KillaJax

We can only hope.

Mkhitaryan has been superb for Dortmund this season, I'd take him over Reus. Alexis, Özil and Mkhitaryan attacking mid trio is a mouth watering prospect .

Ramsey is not getting sold. We have been through a similar dilema before with Barca apparently in for him.

Would not be against it tbh, he seems (of late) to be more engrossed in his personal glory than what the team demands of him. If it meant replacing him with both Saul and Xhaka (not that it takes two players to replace Ramsey, but in the unlikely event that we sell him and even more unlikely that we reinvest that money).

Edit: spelling :lol:

Sykes

I think he's a great player, and is one I've admired for many many years now. I first watched him like 4/5 years ago by chance while looking up other Shaktar players like Costa and Willian and from the few clips I saw of him I thought he looked pretty special.

If we did get him though as well as a CM/DM (i.e Xhaka) then it almost certainly signals that Wenger has very little faith in Wilshere's fitness as well as losing faith in a few other players who play in any of those 5 midfield positions.

The signing would also scream as Wenger trying an alternative route in getting another attacker without it being a striker.
Exactly!!! I get this feeling Wenger isn't going to sign a striker. He'll either sign a goal scoring mid like Henrik or a wide player versatile enough to do a job in the middle like Griezmann/Yarmolenko or even Fekir.

Sykes

He'd be a great signing. We can play him on the right to balance the front 3 and he might form a good partnership with mesut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom