• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

If Wenger stays, what should change?

samshere

Why so serieuse?
We need a good striker and cm pronto. People talk about how Leicester have outperformed us even after spending less but the fact is that even they have a better CM pair in Drinkwater-Kante and striking pair in Mahrez-Vardy than anything we have.
I fail to remember the last time the PL was won by a team that didn't have a top quality striker up front. Last year it was Fabregas - Costa/Hazard. The year before - Toure-Aguero. It just can't be done...

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Why is everyone so sure we need change?

We're currently 3rd out of 92 clubs in England.
Because we've been in this position long enough without going anywhere. Because we are always out of Europe by early March. Because we never look like serious contenders in the league.

I'd be happy and content seeing Arsenal in the second division trying to progress because they are the club I support. What I cannot stand is the lethargic approach to be content with neither progressing or regressing.

A director of football would be great,outside coaches being brought in (something raised by RVP), openness and transparency, a willingness to listen to fans and the media and not brush us off as ignorant uneducated baboons. A much more structured approach, a willingness to learn from mistakes (Ospina in nets, being tighter defensively, not as open, not losing away goals, treating away games as different from home games).

The annoying thing is the things that need to change won't. It's a pointless exercise, Wenger just doesn't have it in him if he did we'd have won a league by now, we'd have defenders who are aggressive in the air and a striker capable of putting twenty away in the league.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

This is the attitude which I think really needs to change. Look at Leicester and Sp**s's squad, try telling me they have a better group of players who can walk into our starting XI. We don't need more top players, we need more Elneny/Iwobi who actually can bring the best out of our current top players.

Both Leicester and Tottenham have strikers that embarrass ours. So yeah it is actually about getting a top player or two in select positions.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
As long as Arséne is in charge, I don't think I really care to even entertain the thought of what needs to change, the guy gives no ****s what the fans think, he runs the club the way he wants to and we just have to deal with that.

Going into next season with zero expectations for anything, so that I can at least enjoy it when we do win a match, haven't really enjoyed a match since October this season.

Last edited:

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Özil has been pretty vocal in the past couple of weeks about the team's failures and what needs fixing - far more so than any other player - just as if he was auditioning for the captain's role

and what was it Wenger said about building the team around him? that and Özil's rush to back up the boss suggests to me they have been talking about it, and given the respect the rest of the team seem to have for him, and his improving English, it might just work

for a player of his quality to commit long term to Arsenal as the captain could be a real blessing - a Tony Adams figure is what we have been missing for far too long

North Bank Gooner

Why is everyone so sure we need change?

We're currently 3rd out of 92 clubs in England.

We've just bottled the best opportunity of winning the title in 12 years to Leicester City and Sp**s ffs, of course we're going to question his position. If he can't lead us to a title in the season where every big club has nose-dived how on earth do you expect him to get the better of them next season when they inevitably improve?

North Bank Gooner

Özil has been pretty vocal in the past couple of weeks about the team's failures and what needs fixing - far more so than any other player - just as if he was auditioning for the captain's role

and what was it Wenger said about building the team around him? that and Özil's rush to back up the boss suggests to me they have been talking about it, and given the respect the rest of the team seem to have for him, and his improving English, it might just work

for a player of his quality to commit long term to Arsenal as the captain could be a real blessing - a Tony Adams figure is what we have been missing for far too long

all well and good him saying that, then you see his attempt at tackling Noble before the 2nd goal on Saturday.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
A lot needs to change. And you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Wenger is set in his ways.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Mesut Özil is about as far and away from a player and man to Tony Adams as you can get.

Özil is not a captain, some matches if it hasn't gone our way (that's quite regular these days) he storms off the pitch without even thanking the away fans. Don't get me wrong, like the player but he is no captain.

Cech is the only one in the Arsenal squad with the temperament, quality and experience to captain Arsenal. It's a shame he's a goalkeeper. Other than him, I can't think of one stand out player who you think is a stand out leader that the rest of them can turn to when it all turns to ****.

Adams was the players spokesmen and no one was in any doubt he was the leader of the club. The amount of games that guy won us with his presence and leadership, Vieira was similar in a lot of ways in the way he commanded respect but not quite as true an Arsenal man.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
As much as I find your posts a beacon of sensible light amidst the gloom of pessimism, I'm not sure Özil would make great captain tbh. He's amazingly skilful and quick thinking but for a skipper you need someone who can be a bit more vocal and inspirational. He should be the guy to deliver an on-field b*llocking if needed and that's what we've been lacking at times. How about the experienced world class CB we need to buy this summer?

Mesuts a world class player without question who has been here for three seasons now thus he has the experience both at club level and internationally and he is highly respected amongst the squad. Özil would be the type of captain who can lead and inspire through his performances and its noticeable this campaign he's become more vocal, Zidane and Gerrard were similar captains I see no reason why Özil could'nt emulate, although to be honest those two had great character.
Ive seen Mertersacker call out players numerous times but tbh that style of leadership doesn't guarantee success its just something the British like to see. For centre back I want to see Chambers in the team because he has top potential, wise beyond his years and the sort of centre back which could fit our style well. Unless Mertersacker departs a central defender isn't a necessity like in the other positions however its imperative Arsène and the defensive coach tweak our overall team defending.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
I think an oft ignored reason for injuries is depth. With Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky and Ox almost constantly injured, it puts strain on the remaining players.

Ramsey played a ridiculous amount of minutes before his injury against Hull for example.

We can't carry 5 or 6 injury wrecks like we seem to every year. Arteta and Rosicky have to leave and the day for Ox and Wilsh is getting nearer. Being able to rotate the likes of Özil and Cazorla early in the season could have a huge effect.

This here is exactly the issue though. Ignorance!

Its no just our 3 or 4 perenially injury prone players who we really do need to consider selling off now, its guys like Coquelin, Cazorla, Giroud, Özil, Alexis and Koscielny missing large portions of the last 2 or 3 campaigns which implies there's serious issues with our playing style, the medical team are incompetent or Wenger himself is continuously making mistakes in his coaching or whatever.

Everyone likes to criticize our squad strength in terms of depth or the amount of injury prone players in our books but if you actually look at the last 3 seasons barring maybe 4 players every other player in our squad between 2013 till now has missed two straight consecutive months of football. Somethings not right.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This here is exactly the issue though. Ignorance!

Its no just our 3 or 4 perenially injury prone players who we really do need to consider selling off now, its guys like Coquelin, Cazorla, Giroud, Özil, Alexis and Koscielny missing large portions of the last 2 or 3 campaigns which implies there's serious issues with our playing style, the medical team are incompetent or Wenger himself is continuously making mistakes in his coaching or whatever.

Everyone likes to criticize our squad strength in terms of depth or the amount of injury prone players in our books but if you actually look at the last 3 seasons barring maybe 4 players every other player in our squad between 2013 till now has missed two straight consecutive months of football. Somethings not right.

It's a knock on effect, you start the season with 21 players. Rosicky is our back up AM, Arteta and Wilshere are two of 6 CMs we started the season with alongside garbage man Flamini as well. That's only 3 CMs who are any good; Ramsey, Cazorla and Coquelin. Is it any wonder then that all 3 were injured pretty quickly into the season?

With 3 games a week it's way too much for just three midfielders.

With Elneny signed and Arteta and Flamini leaving that brings us down to 5 (including Wilshere, but who knows with him?) Need at least one more imo.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There's only one change we need and that's the manager.

Wenger needs to **** off and stop killing my club.

Edit: ok I'll play ball. Some players who have played under a top manager would be nice, the type that can manage themselves when Wenger is having another one of his tactical brainfarts.

A top striker would also go a long way towards masking all of Wenger's decisions. Maybe some doping as well to help with the injury crisis.

Last edited:

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
This is the attitude which I think really needs to change. Look at Leicester and Sp**s's squad, try telling me they have a better group of players who can walk into our starting XI. We don't need more top players, we need more Elneny/Iwobi who actually can bring the best out of our current top players.

Well we're not going to win the league with jokers like Giroud and Gabriel starting are we.

CF and CB are important positions, why not go for the best we can? We've got plenty of other project players around.

Nicenho

Doesn't matter even if we get the players in. Nothing will change as long as Wenger is in charge. Dont know why anyone would be stupid enough to think otherwise :lol: he ruined the club and next season gonna be helluva lot harder than this one. If he is in charge we probably finish 5th..woohoo o_O

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I think there will be no other choice for some people here but to quit football for while.
If it's to be a war of attrition between Wenger and the fans then fine, but I'm not quitting on my club, neither should anyone else who considers themselves supporters, we're called that for a reason!

Good times, bad times; doesn't matter, the fans should always stay.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom