• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Bottom half teams are so strong. Usually 5-6 teams will be playing for nothing at this point. Now only Villa is like that.

Also 1-2 relegation contenders will be around 15-16 points and mostly looking at relegation but none of that this season

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Neither and both, tbh.

The league is just strong, as it has always been... certain teams just get better/worse.
I agree, reading other forums with their excuses is funny. Their clubs have fvcked up nothing more.

VancouverCanuck

Another angle is the other teams (City, Utd, Lpool, etc) had been fortunate that we had been underperforming for the last several years. Thus making them looked better.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Another angle is the other teams (City, Utd, Lpool, etc) had been fortunate that we had been underperforming for the last several years. Thus making them looked better.
And why are they underperforming? Tougher opponents all across the league have nothing to do with it?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
What have the points totals been like over the years?

I'm sure United won the league with fewer points in the 90s than the average league winner does.

Are we judging this by the median points? If the league is harder then surely all of the tops should be close to each other points wise.

Are we judging this by the games themselves? If we are most should be cagey affairs and no team should be getting battered?

Is it based on top teams losing to poor teams? This has always happened.

The quality of the teams? On paper or how they perform on the pitch?

I don't think the league is harder. IF it was we wouldn't have had two teams rack up 90+ points total over the past few years.

drippin

What have the points totals been like over the years?

I'm sure United won the league with fewer points in the 90s than the average league winner does.

Are we judging this by the median points? If the league is harder then surely all of the tops should be close to each other points wise.
I'm not sure how to judge it based on any kind of point totals? The overall point amount stay the same. It's very difficult to judge it based on this.

If there are two super teams like City and Liverpool who manage to achieve record amounts of points, it suggests the league is harder.

But on the other hand you would assume that the league would have much more even points totals overall in the league, because overall the teams are more even. Something like now having last 8 teams in the span of 5 points fighting against relegation could suggest this.

But I wouldn't use points totals to judge this, but common sense about smaller teams having much more money, and the player pool overall in the world getting bigger and better.

drippin

Eric seven Hag:

"The Premier League was never that difficult as now; there are so many competitors. It is not a two-horse race; it is a five, six, seven-horse race. For what we want, there are six or seven clubs more [who want the same]. We are capable of doing it but we are aware within the club that we still have steps to go."

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
ETH... "The League is not a two horse race"

Literally a two horse race this season 😅

Riou

I think he is talking about overall, when the seasons starts.

Then he plays the first game and all 11 of his starting players are injured/suspended from them on, ffs...poor bloke, he just can't catch any breaks 😔

Tnegs

It’s definitely harder to win. 20 years ago we only needed to finish above Utd to win while today there are City, Chelsea, Pool and Utd who start the season expecting to challenge for the title while Newcastle and Sp**s expect top 4.

boxerumble

Baked Canadian

Wouldn’t the uptick in foreign players also add to the uptick in competition and diversified skill level? Surely there are more foreign players now vs let’s say the early 2000s. Seems like that may also be a contributing factor

Riou

Our 2004 squad would get well over 100 points in this day and age, the way most teams play now and the real lack of top defenders in the Prem means Henry would be putting up Haaland numbers with ease.

Only thing that would stop us would be the refs, who are always a formidable for to be fair.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
One thing I do know is that this team is better than the 12/13 united team that ran away with the title.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

O my lawd this thread has been dragged up again 😭 😭

I think what we can all agree on is if we win it this season we've done it against a City that will end up with above 86 points, possibly pushing for 90 which is a good feat.
Tbf I think winning the league is always a “good feat” regardless! :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom