<

Jermaine Pennant (Out)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Triffid, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziontrain

Ziontrain New Member

Exactly. I think that's the same rule that made us pay a million for Jermaine when he was 16 or whatever.

2. Arsenal316

Arsenal316 New Member Elite

Man. U had to pay a fee when they picked up Bellion from Sunderland. He was out of contract at the time, but since he was under 23, Man. U had to pay compensation to Sunderland. Birmingham will have to do the same for Jermaine, as he's only 22.

3. Gurgen

Gurgen New Member Elite

Great this means we have made a profit of 1m on him :lol:

4. Clarkey

Clarkey New Member

The way its looking to me is, they are trying to agree a fee now so that the price doesn't go to a tribunal like Bellions did, meaning United had to pay about 2.5 million for the dud. Helps us out as we get guaranteed a good price for us, and Birmingham don't get forced by a tribunal in the Summer to pay over the odds for him.

5. goonerlove

goonerlove New Member

I think AW had written him off after his latest shenanigans, so this is a good bit of business. Another 3 million pounds can't hurt this summer.

It does continue to leave us short on quality wingers next year though...

We really only have Freddie (injury-prone), Pires (best years behind him? and somewhat injury-prone), Clichy (not his best position), Reyes (not his best position), and perhaps another youth or moving Lauren up to mid.

And Clichy and Reyes are both left-sided, so that puts another wrinkle in this. If Pennant is off, I think the chances that we make a play for SWP goes up. Put SWP at right, Freddie at left (he likes the left better anyway), and Pires is our super-sub next year. You can also stick Freddie on the right to rest SWP and put Pires, Reyes, or Clichy on the left.

I also wonder about Ali. With Lupoli, Bendtner, RVP, and Reyes we have 4 very young and very promising strikers. I could see us selling Ali to PSG and using that to help off-set the costs of getting a more established striker to take some pressure off of Titi. Unless Reyes goes, in which case we would have even more money to work with. I would like us to get a striker in the 27-29 age range so that there is a natural progression to slowly give Lupoli, RVP, and Bendtner (not to mention Reyes) more opportunities in the next couple of years.

Goonerlove

6. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

And he probably would have got his chance, if it wasn't for his obvious attitude problems.

Rubbish. Did we have an English core when we won the league at Old Trafford?

Despite the fact that you contradict yourself here, you're right - our performance against big teams has been poor. To be fair, we SHOULD have beaten Chelsea, but that's if's and but's now anyway. I don't see how a player's passport has anything to do with this though.

7. tclar

tclar New Member

yeah but we should still have David Bentley back and he can play on the right!

8. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah New Member Elite

Bloody hell, Geoff, is that you? :shock:

Uh, I think you'll find we did, actually. Seaman, Keown, Campbell, Cole and Parlour (to be fair, I don't remember if Razor played that night). But four players out of 11 is a pretty good core I would say

9. asajoseph

Oh crap... you're right.. I was thinkin of WHL - mind you, we had 3 that day too... My bad. Still, I don't think an English core is remotely important. Ray did play in that game, and Jeffers and Wright were on the bench.

10. alir77

alir77 New Member

£3 million for someone who is currently sitting in jail whose contract is expiring this summer can't be bad

11. asajoseph

Actualy, its's 500k - the rest depends on experience.

12. alir77

alir77 New Member

Ok well eventually £3m......

13. Corny

Corny New Member Trusted

Excellent that we get some money for the player. Clearly doesn't have the mental abailites to be a top player. £3m would be useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.