• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jermaine Pennant (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziontrain

Mista Edit said:
Its compenstion as he is a young play (under 23), the same thing will happen if someone trys to buy a young player like routledge who is out of contract. It prevents young players running out there contract and moving for free.

Exactly. I think that's the same rule that made us pay a million for Jermaine when he was 16 or whatever.

Arsenal316

Man. U had to pay a fee when they picked up Bellion from Sunderland. He was out of contract at the time, but since he was under 23, Man. U had to pay compensation to Sunderland. Birmingham will have to do the same for Jermaine, as he's only 22.

Clarkey

The way its looking to me is, they are trying to agree a fee now so that the price doesn't go to a tribunal like Bellions did, meaning United had to pay about 2.5 million for the dud. Helps us out as we get guaranteed a good price for us, and Birmingham don't get forced by a tribunal in the Summer to pay over the odds for him.

goonerlove

I think AW had written him off after his latest shenanigans, so this is a good bit of business. Another 3 million pounds can't hurt this summer.

It does continue to leave us short on quality wingers next year though...

We really only have Freddie (injury-prone), Pires (best years behind him? and somewhat injury-prone), Clichy (not his best position), Reyes (not his best position), and perhaps another youth or moving Lauren up to mid.

And Clichy and Reyes are both left-sided, so that puts another wrinkle in this. If Pennant is off, I think the chances that we make a play for SWP goes up. Put SWP at right, Freddie at left (he likes the left better anyway), and Pires is our super-sub next year. You can also stick Freddie on the right to rest SWP and put Pires, Reyes, or Clichy on the left.

I also wonder about Ali. With Lupoli, Bendtner, RVP, and Reyes we have 4 very young and very promising strikers. I could see us selling Ali to PSG and using that to help off-set the costs of getting a more established striker to take some pressure off of Titi. Unless Reyes goes, in which case we would have even more money to work with. I would like us to get a striker in the 27-29 age range so that there is a natural progression to slowly give Lupoli, RVP, and Bendtner (not to mention Reyes) more opportunities in the next couple of years.

Goonerlove

asajoseph

Established Member
No ones mentioned the fact that maybe we should heave given pennant a chance.

And he probably would have got his chance, if it wasn't for his obvious attitude problems.

We need to have a english core, otherwise teams like Man U will always get results like 4-2 against us.

Rubbish. Did we have an English core when we won the league at Old Trafford?

We have not beaten ANY big teams this season which is a real worry (beating munich 1-0 was our best and we still lost)

Despite the fact that you contradict yourself here, you're right - our performance against big teams has been poor. To be fair, we SHOULD have beaten Chelsea, but that's if's and but's now anyway. I don't see how a player's passport has anything to do with this though.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
amulbocus said:
No ones mentioned the fact that maybe we should heave given pennant a chance.
Look how he played against liverpool, he roasted them!!!

Were losing most of our young english talent, and it annoys me.

We need to have a english core, otherwise teams like Man U will always get results like 4-2 against us.

We have not beaten ANY big teams this season which is a real worry (beating munich 1-0 was our best and we still lost)

Bloody hell, Geoff, is that you? :shock:

asajoseph said:
Rubbish. Did we have an English core when we won the league at Old Trafford?

Uh, I think you'll find we did, actually. Seaman, Keown, Campbell, Cole and Parlour (to be fair, I don't remember if Razor played that night). But four players out of 11 is a pretty good core I would say

asajoseph

Established Member
Oh crap... you're right.. I was thinkin of WHL - mind you, we had 3 that day too... My bad. Still, I don't think an English core is remotely important. Ray did play in that game, and Jeffers and Wright were on the bench.

alir77

£3 million for someone who is currently sitting in jail whose contract is expiring this summer can't be bad

Corny

Excellent that we get some money for the player. Clearly doesn't have the mental abailites to be a top player. £3m would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom