• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joao Palhinha

DuBB

Can we really afford him? Even if we wanted? Thought we were quite depleted after the Rice transfer...Raya on loan with option etc

I suspect that there will be at least 2 players going out this Jan. I think it'll be ESR and Ramsdale:

Ramsdale to quiet the noise on the GK situation.
ESR because even when he's fit an available he seems to be very low down in the pecking order.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I suspect that there will be at least 2 players going out this Jan. I think it'll be ESR and Ramsdale:

Ramsdale to quiet the noise on the GK situation.
ESR because even when he's fit an available he seems to be very low down in the pecking order.
That will help, for sure, depending on the fees. I still think this is a transfer that is in the £70+, especially in January. Is he worth it?

DuBB

That will help, for sure, depending on the fees. I still think this is a transfer that is in the £70+, especially in January. Is he worth it?

I don’t think it’ll hit 70. I’m not even sure it’ll hit 60, but that’s just guesswork. But you also need to remember than money in is all ‘profit’ and money out can be staggered for FFP. So you don’t need 70 in to be able to spend 70 out, if his deal was in fact 70m.

And even though I’m not the biggest fan I think he’ll be worth it in the medium and long term:

He allows us to rest and rotate Rice at the 6 with very little if any drop off in the defensive/possession regaining press department.
He allows us to play Rice in the 8 with him in the 6, again, with no defensive drop off (both Jorginho and Partey are more ‘controlling’ 6s than defensive ones. Partey is more defensive but even before his latest injury, watching him run back towards our own box was becoming iffy).
Once the summer comes and any combination of Jorginho, Partey and Elneny are gone, we have a truly defensive rotation 6 who is experienced.

I believe for the way we play, we can take chances on low floor/high ceiling players in the forward positions of the midfield (Vieira, Havertz, Fofana etc.) but where we cannot afford to “see if they’re any good” is the 6. That diamond of Saliba/Gabriel/Rice is key to how we play. So I think it’s a very smart signing, even though he wouldn’t have been the first name I thought of.

It’s not sexy but it’s probably the smartest.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don’t think it’ll hit 70. I’m not even sure it’ll hit 60, but that’s just guesswork. But you also need to remember than money in is all ‘profit’ and money out can be staggered for FFP. So you don’t need 70 in to be able to spend 70 out, if his deal was in fact 70m.

And even though I’m not the biggest fan I think he’ll be worth it in the medium and long term:

He allows us to rest and rotate Rice at the 6 with very little if any drop off in the defensive/possession regaining press department.
He allows us to play Rice in the 8 with him in the 6, again, with no defensive drop off (both Jorginho and Partey are more ‘controlling’ 6s than defensive ones. Partey is more defensive but even before his latest injury, watching him run back towards our own box was becoming iffy).
Once the summer comes and any combination of Jorginho, Partey and Elneny are gone, we have a truly defensive rotation 6 who is experienced.

I believe for the way we play, we can take chances on low floor/high ceiling players in the forward positions of the midfield (Vieira, Havertz, Fofana etc.) but where we cannot afford to “see if they’re any good” is the 6. That diamond of Saliba/Gabriel/Rice is key to how we play. So I think it’s a very smart signing, even though he wouldn’t have been the first name I thought of.

It’s not sexy but it’s probably the smartest.
It will probably impact our ability to sign a top striker this summer, is that worth it?

DuBB

It will probably impact our ability to sign a top striker this summer, is that worth it?

I don’t think it will, but neither of us really knows. You have to remember, FFP issues aren’t permanent they’re year by year depending on financials unrelated to, and including transfers.

For example, our inability to sign Raya on a permanent transfer in the summer wasn’t because we ran out of money, but ran out of the capacity to spend money in that window, which is why it was a loan with a deferred permanent payment for a different financial year, when we’d be safe to show that money leaving the books.

I hope that makes sense.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Absolute Kante or Vieira type performances

Imagine going to big away grounds with Rice and Palhinha

I think he probably moves to Liverpool though

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Absolute Kante or Vieira type performances

Imagine going to big away grounds with Rice and Palhinha

I think he probably moves to Liverpool though

I keep seeing this and just think it's bollocks, Rice is without a doubt one of the best in the world at 6, we don't need to stick someone who's very limited next to him for 'tough away games', our level is much higher than that.

The best teams have never done this. You either get a proper 8 or a 6 who's an elite passer so Rice can move forward.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I keep seeing this and just think it's bollocks, Rice is without a doubt one of the best in the world at 6, we don't need to stick someone who's very limited next to him for 'tough away games', our level is much higher than that.

The best teams have never done this. You either get a proper 8 or a 6 who's an elite passer so Rice can move forward.
What happens if rice gets 2 months injury? You comfortable with Jorginho for 2 months cause Partey ain’t coming back. We fell away as soon as we lost 1 CB last season. This season we lost Partey and gained Rice. Partey is done here why not just replace him with Palhinha

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

It's not just about defense though. Those 2 would completely overrun midfields and win the ball high up the pitch creating counter attacking opportunities.

Also Arteta has also experimented by playing 1 CB, 2 FBs and 2 DMs as his defensive line. This would although that system while maintaining stability.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

What happens if rice gets 2 months injury? You comfortable with Jorginho for 2 months cause Partey ain’t coming back. We fell away as soon as we lost 1 CB last season. This season we lost Partey and gained Rice. Partey is done here why not just replace him with Palhinha

Then we're f*cked. But that's not what I am trying to say, I think we need another CM but not someone like Palhinha.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It's not just about defense though. Those 2 would completely overrun midfields and win the ball high up the pitch creating counter attacking opportunities.

Also Arteta has also experimented by playing 1 CB, 2 FBs and 2 DMs as his defensive line. This would although that system while maintaining stability.

But so would Luiz who's shown this season he can play box to box. Palhina would have to play 6 and that won't suit us long-term or would suit Rice if he had to play 8.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Then we're f*cked. But that's not what I am trying to say, I think we need another CM but not someone like Palhinha.
I think we need both tbh. Jorginho and Partey are done here end of the season. But so is vieira and most likely ESR. Both the defensive and attacking midfielders after the starters are not up to scratch

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
But so would Luiz who's shown this season he can play box to box. Palhina would have to play 6 and that won't suit us long-term or would suit Rice if he had to play 8.

I really like Luiz too, who's more of a natural 8 and much better at passing between the lines. Palhina's heat map is all over the pitch, he's the definition of box to box. Much like Kante he wins the ball all over the pitch being 98th percentile in all 3 3rds of the pitch. I think he's technically underrated too.

If we had Palhina and Rice, it would be like when we had Vieira and Petit or Vieira and Gilberto where we used to absolutely bully teams.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom