• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kostas Manolas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Umtiti would be great potentially, but we don't need injury prone players. It's a risk.

Actually now that I have thought about it more in sauna, I think Manolas will come to Arsenal. Reasons:

1. We need Mustafi replacement. Emery saw Palace game and more. He will get rid.

2. They have to sell with release clause.

3. He is proven CB at Serie A & Champions League. He has started 5 seasons and is aged 27 now.

4. He is "cheap".

5. They form Greece CB duo with Sokratis. They must be buddies.

6. Arsenal is a step up for him in status, wages and professional challenge.

7. Roma is likely in Europa League next season.

Maybe there are some more. I like the idea very much. Next season the Koscielny replacement.

Re: Umtiti. I'm not sure I would describe him as "injury prone." Until this knee problem, he hadn't been injured any more than your average player. But there are some who believe the knee could be an ongoing problem for him. So Arsenal needs to be sure if they go in that direction.

But good reasons to be positive about the possibility of Manolas. Although he and Sokratis hate each other's guts.*

*(I'm just making that up. :D)

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Is there a better alternative in this price range?

Depends on how you look at it. Just the other day Arsenal was linked with Getafe's Djene Dakonam (£30 million quoted), who has been in brilliant form this season but who isn't as proven at higher levels as Manolas.

thierrytheking14

Here we go again, this thread started over 3 years ago. Higuaín & Benzema anyone!
Benzema111.jpg

Good times lad, good times :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
A Manolas/Sokratis partnership would be feast or famine - some great games and some absolute shockers. Better than Mustafi though. I don't know, can we actually do better? Our stature has diminished so much that probably not. We're a Europa League club with a Europa League manager, Europa League squad and a Europa League budget.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
A Manolas/Sokratis partnership would be feast or famine - some great games and some absolute shockers. Better than Mustafi though. I don't know, can we actually do better? Our stature has diminished so much that probably not. We're a Europa League club with a Europa League manager, Europa League squad and a Europa League budget.

This, as difficult as it is too accept we have moved down the pecking order and probably not a lot of players first choices.

Tottenham are more attractive than us right now.

We desperately need CL football next year or this rebuild is going to become even more difficult.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Here we go again, this thread started over 3 years ago. Higuaín & Benzema anyone!

Manolas is 27 year old CB who likely wants & needs new challenges. Never before has he had a release clause I think.

Depends on how you look at it. Just the other day Arsenal was linked with Getafe's Djene Dakonam (£30 million quoted), who has been in brilliant form this season but who isn't as proven at higher levels as Manolas.

So that is about same price as Manolas, same age. Djene has played 2 seasons starting at top level compared to Manolas' 5. Djene is 178 cm long compared to Manolas' 189 cm, coming in to EPL as a CB.

This is the situation we are in, needing many purchases, so it's pretty clear to me who is the better deal. Umtiti's injury is interesting and seems risky deal depending on the price. Contract won't be cheap either.

Transfermarkt can also give some hint about the prices. Manolas is valued at 45 million euros while Djene is 15 million. Umtiti is 70 million, but that doesn't take into account the injury worries.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Transfermarkt can also give some hint about the prices. Manolas is valued at 45 million euros while Djene is 15 million. Umtiti is 70 million, but that doesn't take into account the injury worries.

CIES is probably the most authoritative scientific estimator of transfer values. They list Manolas at €30-40 million currently, trending down from last summer (they actually provide a graph of recent value history). Umtiti is valued at €50-70 million, down quite a bit since his knee injury last fall. Djene is an interesting case. He's valued at just €15-20 million, but trending upward based on his good form and interest from some big clubs.

So I suppose there are so many things to consider. Obviously if price and health concerns are not an issue, you want Umtiti all day long. And maybe if you're sure of his health you'll get a bargain. But at this point it seems a risk and, I think, unlikely. I think there's a better chance of seeing one of the other two, although probably it will end up being somebody completely different.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

No thank you. Not good enough to take our defence up a level. Was ripped apart by Liverpool in last seasons CL.

If I understand correctly by this logic Pique or Lenglet isn't good enough for us either, because they were ripped apart by Liverpool not long ago.

Eventhough Umtiti is the one they are planning to get rid off (injury of course matters).

I think it's pretty evident we are talking about Mustafi replacement here. For me it's very odd if someone says Manolas isn't good enough to replace Mustafi.

Last edited:

GunnerShy

I’d take one of those robotic vacuums over Mustafi. Another **** show against Brighton. Rob Homding to return from injury with a new decent CB, Sok and Kos is enough for wear our squad is at the moment.

Then upgrade central midfield and the wing. Question is, without a Man City limitless budget should be be chasing immediate upgrades or the next big thing? Surely we should be raiding youth academies for the next Nasri, Cesc or better. Like Gendouzi, they’re already good enough to play a squad role and will only get better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom