• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
Please compare Arsenal as a club, our crop of players, our owners, our recent results and our ambitions to PSG and write down the differences.

One team plays in a the most competitive league in the world and has actually made it to the UCL final. PSG can't even make it to the semis.

Oh and our club wasn't founded in the 70s so I think I know which is the better club thanks

JuanCarlosValeron

Unai Emery has claimed Neymar was the real boss of Paris Saint-Germain.

Spineless manager, and you're all claiming he's someone tough with a backbone

http://dailypost.ng/2018/05/22/neymar-real-boss-psg-unai-emery/

Ferguson, an alpha male after @ThisFather ´s heart, was confronted with the same problem of certain players undermining his rule. The difference was that Ferguson had the power to get rid of, Ince, Stam, Beckham, Keane and Nistelrooy. One should be ware of inferring any conclusion from Emery´s time at PSG, where the manager is nothing more than a pawn.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
You have a small sliver of a point, but your reasoning falls flat in the face of the fact that most, if not the vast majority, of Wenger supporters (weren't we all?) are equally ready to support the next boss.

I'm sure there is a minority who simply are looking to return the proverbial favor and do unto the new boss as was done unto Wenger, but most are not in such a shape.

Plus you have the "No" votes coming from those looking to hold Arteta's pecker as he held Pep's.

i dont think that we are too bitter about how Wenger left. He rubbed everyones face in the FA cup , beat city and chelsea enroute fair an square with a 3 at the back system, forever ending chatter of tactics, ability, big match play and managerial ability, and then made baldy give him a 2 yr contract.

Then he had a nice final year, where he played the kids, cursed out mike dean, made gazidis schlep around germany to finally buy a striker, settled his kids, rehabilitated Jack, sold off Sanchez, extended Özil and parked Per in the academy and then announced his leaving and enjoyed a last few weeks of kidding around, blasted Burnley with the kids and went head-to-head with Atletico and enjoyed one last solid matchup topping it up with a last lovely 5:0 match at home with the kids. Had a great last home season, which was made better by the fact that the bitter haters stayed away and missed it. Barcelona and City offered their tributes by chasing the invincible dream and showing us its true awesomeness.

It was a little rushed, but instead of 25 yrs at Arsenal he got 22, so its not such a big deal. The lion had grown old, and the jackals were sensing blood, and his lifework was done. He probably did hope they would be nice enough to offer him a few years of freedoom from financial worries and a chance to drive the machine that he spent so many years building, and maybe bring through one last generation of Wengerballers.

So we are not bitter. In fact the over riding feeling for me is regret that Wenger gave so much to such little people, and may have been better off not being so loyal. But then, he wouldnt have been Wenger.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Yep exactly and emery MIGHT not work at arsenal but he needs to be given a go. Two years seems reasonable with the possibility of a third. Never been a fan of kroenke and think he is a cancer on the club but like how gazidis and the new team have played this, all very sensible. No one reasonable would get after the manager if we lose a few games before Christmas. Relegation zone would be a different matter and then it would be reasonable to expext disquiet but very much doubt it will come to that. It's all about degrees and context. The point is the new manager will (hopefully) be properly accountable.
True. He might/might not succeed here. We have to give him enough chances and then decide. There is no reason to be so pessimistic already.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

Taken out of context, coincidentally from the same long interview that was posted here in full and instead of bashing the new manager of this club and calling him spineless before he even had one training session with the team you should check that out. It gives a lot of insight.

He did a very good analysis of the different types of figures around which the club revolves and in some structures, it's not always the manager - such as in PSG where Neymar will require special treatment since his arrival for a price of an average country. He didn't even say Neymar IS the 'leader', but that he is in the process of becoming one.

Considering he is good with Pep he actually mentioned him in this context, probably discussed about it together. E.g. the real boss in Barca during Pep's time was Messi -> A superstar player needing special treatment in order for him to be on top of his game and the team to function properly.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I had such a good laugh on most of you guys jumping on the Arteta bandwagon. :D
Yep me too. Pretty apparent the agenda of some people. I think most genuinely were resigned and were just getting behind him though so fair enough. I would have waited until the actual appointment and done that,whatever my misgivings.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I don’t even care much for Emery, everything feels empty after Arsène. It will take some time.

If I remember Emery’s teams by something, its their strong centre midfields. I know our defense is our main problem right now, but part of that is because of our non-existent midfield. I think that will be the first area he’ll adress.

TheLawOfDiQ

Gotta say, club has played a blinder. I think a lot of the fans would be disappointed to get Emery had Allegri been the top target and we heard stories of him being favorite etc, but they fed the media Arteta was the man, lowering all of our expectations.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
People forget PSG wanted Emery to take them to the next level which is a champions league win, whilst he's good I think the step from Sevilla to winning a CL with PSG is huge. Its as if he missed a step and went straight to that.

We're that middle step, getting this team challenging for the title is the aim.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
@Gunners4life amazing how you rate Arteta on Pep's words but you don't rate Emery who has just been praised by Pep... Yes the same Pep.

'His career speaks for itself, did it perfect in Spain with many teams – Valencia, Sevilla - and did it really well in France. Welcome to England, another good manager is coming here.'

Keep trying, lad.

shootxhakashoot

It just shows that we are not used to the manager transfer side of things. The media can sell us almost everything. We need to gain some experience quickly. :rolleyes:
They played it well. Played the fans and the journos imo. The fact they came to an experienced winner of a manager, who is used to working wit has an underdog team has given me a bit of new found faith in the club setup. No one knows that £50 mill is the limit for investments either, that could be more fun and games as well. It's all very exciting

Keplaz

PSG is a poisoned chalice. We will see if Tuchel will achieve what they want but I have serious doubts. People are criticising Emery for saying Neymar was the leader and that he knew he wasn't in control, but all he spoke was the truth. When a club spends 220 million pounds on a new player and pay him the equivalent of the GDP of a small country a week, then you know who the club really values.

Neymar will be indulged and pandered to by PSG. He isn't the manager's player, he is the chairman's and everything has to revolve around him. If players refuse to play the way the boss wants and overrule his decisions, and the board doesn't step in to reprimand them, you know straight away who is expendable and who isn't. The chairman can always find another manager but those players are like very expensively bought masterpieces bought for an art gallery. The gallery manager may choose how he displays them but he can be replaced very easily if he fails to display them as the owner requires but the masterpieces will remain.

Emery was in an impossible position. The players deserve a lot of blame for falling to pieces against Barcelona. But those players are protected by the ones that really wanted them. Arsenal is a different animal altogether and in terms of environment, it is comparable to Sevilla more than PSG. We might be a bigger club than Sevilla but the family environment we have is comparable to them and not the toxic environment in Paris.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

It has nothing to do with being spineless, Neymar has a direct line to the president, if the manager (whoever it is) upsets him he goes straight to the president who will automatically side with the player.
Neymar is far more important to the president than the manager, he tells the manager Neymar gets everything he wants if you don't pander to him you'll be fired, what is he supposed to do?

He probably isn't even allowed to drop him or fine him let alone sell him, it's a ridiculous club.

Last edited:

shootxhakashoot

Gotta say, club has played a blinder. I think a lot of the fans would be disappointed to get Emery had Allegri been the top target and we heard stories of him being favorite etc, but they fed the media Arteta was the man, lowering all of our expectations.
Spot on. .the lowering of expectations is the key thing. Emery doesn't have the known fashionable name or profile of an allegri. He flew under the radar. For me it was a welcome change when they did the switcheroo. He's clearly a football man first and foremost who lives and breathes the game. Just like our last manager. The wenger people should take some comfort in that

Keplaz

In terms of a manager who is happy to go with our new structure, someone who will coach the team, someone who has a track record of improving players and giving youth a chance, someone who is tactically capable. Unai Emery ticks all those boxes.

He may fail, he may succeed, but at least we know what we are getting. We can look back at Almeria, Spartak, Valencia, Sevilla and PSG, and say, "This is what Unai Emery is about." He has a tangible history. Arteta though exciting, as the unknown usually is, would have been too much of a risk for a club badly in need of stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Latest posts

Top Bottom