• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Neill

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=320675&cpid=8&CLID=3&lid=&title=Milan+check+on+Neill&channel=premiership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid ... remiership</a>

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't really say I've seen much of him, and whenever I have seen him he hasn't really stood out for me personally. Milan are allegedly interested as well.

Don't really know what to make of it but surely a right back is the least of our priorities at the moment.

Karlos2

I agree with Loyan, i have only ever really noticed him when he's either being sent off or has crippled someone.

asajoseph

Established Member
Lucas Neill? Surely that's a joke? The guy's ok, but nothing more, and we already have an excellent RB in Lauren, as well as plenty of younger talent. What exactly would he bring that Lauren doesn't? And why is it that the media are desparately trying to get rid of Lauren for us?

Ziontrain

Lucas Neill is defensively an excellent full back - that is, when he keeps his head and doesn't get into fights and cheap-shotting people. But fundamentally he is very good defensively, the type would would be even better on a good team.

I'd have a lot more confidence in Lucas Neil shutting down a winger than Lauren. Lets put it that way.

Also you all forget that this is 2005 and football is an economic game now. You obviously missed the magic words in that article. Let me repeat for you:
"He has just over a year left on his current deal at the moment and we will have to see what develops."

In that situation, a proven veteran at peak age and available at a highly discounted rate, if not on a Bosman, he is a hot property.

There is always the chance that its his agent drumming up a storm, but I don't think so. The guy is actually a very good defender, once you get past the extra-curriculars.

But frankly a little competitive spirit and even nastiness would not be a bad thing to add onto our team. We haven't really had that since Martin Keown got old dropped to the bench, then retired. And we've clearly missed it.

Mostarac

Established Member
Ziontrain said:
But frankly a little competitive spirit and even nastiness would not be a bad thing to add onto our team. We haven't really had that since Martin Keown got old dropped to the bench, then retired. And we've clearly missed it.

Exactly what I was thinking, in that case this player would not be too bad to have.

asajoseph

Established Member
On the other hand, he's not a patch on Lauren going forward.

And I've always been under the impression that Lauren's one of our more hardcore competitors.

Seriously, we have bigger holes in the side than Lauren - unless someone truly outstanding comes onto the market, forget about signing a RB any time soon. Until then, I like Lauren, and I want him to stay.

Ziontrain

asajoseph said:
On the other hand, he's not a patch on Lauren going forward.

And I've always been under the impression that Lauren's one of our more hardcore competitors.

Seriously, we have bigger holes in the side than Lauren - unless someone truly outstanding comes onto the market, forget about signing a RB any time soon. Until then, I like Lauren, and I want him to stay.

Look carefully. Don't get distracted by the "thug" label. Neill gets forward a lot and to good effect.

Lauren looks like he is trying, but for my money he's not very smart for a guy of his expereince level.

Also spend your time to watch Lauren, you will see that he gives away a lot fo cheap corners that should be free throws. He also is often caught way out of position. The kind of thing that might be okay for Clichy's first 10 games in the side, but are frankly unacceptable for a player of Lauren's age and exposure.

You put a fast Winger on lauren and all of a sudden he is struggling.

IMO Lauren is the weakest link in that defense. If I were an opposing manager, I'd be looking to exploit him. A lot.

A

Anonymous

Lauren is crap. can't believe u guys think hes decent.
Toure is the best right back in the world when he plays there.
then we put senderos at CB or bid 20 mill for King

Gurgen

Established Member
Must say I agree with Ziontrain.

As much as I love Ralph he really is a liability sometimes.

asajoseph

Established Member
Lauren's had his bad games defensively (and I don't think his reputation as a defender will ever recover from the raping he got from Cristiano Ronaldo in the FA Cup final), and it's true, he CAN be caught out positionally a lot. However, I do think his defensive weaknesses, whilst certainly present, are overplayed somewhat. He CAN have very good games there sometimes, to be fair, but yes, he's made his share of mistakes.

But, to blunt, Ronaldo on the form he was on that day would have raped 99% of RB's that day. He isn't the most solid of defensive RB's, but that isn't really our game - Wenger likes, in my oppinion, fullbacks who can attack well and link up with the midfielders in front of them, and in my oppinion Lauren is one of our better link-up players. He is, as far as I'm, concerned, a decent but not special defender, and a good forward looking player who can pass the ball pretty well. I don't think Wenger will consider replacing him with someone who is a downgrade in terms of attacking skills no matter how good they are defensively. To have a player who can do both is the holy-grail of full-backs - Ash has learned to, that's why he's such a great player (as well as a complete tosser). Lauren's not as good as Ash, but in my oppinion he's not all that bad either.

A.M.A.G.

I don't think Ash is any better defensively than Lauren... Ash is just faster and can therefore can make up for poor positioning. Lauren is performs at a high level consistently... can't ask for much more... anything better will cost a pretty penny.

kamikaze80

Established Member
A.M.A.G. said:
I don't think Ash is any better defensively than Lauren... Ash is just faster and can therefore can make up for poor positioning.
wouldnt that make him better??

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Funny how my posts in the "Best Right Back In The World" thread saying Lucas Neill was up there were entirely ignored. Who's laughing now!! :lol:

But seriously, he is a pretty good right back, and the fact that he is linked with such teams clearly details it. He would be a welcomed, albeit surprising, addition to Arsenal as a rotated right back, and can even play centre back. And don't think he can't press forward either. I have seen him plenty of times pushing forward with some nice runs and good link up play. As for his aggression, well, isn't that something you want in a player? I like a player who I know will work his ass off every game and give you solid challenges every minute of every game. Lucas Neill does this.

Good to see the likes of Lucas Neill actually getting a chance to push forward in his career.

Note: I am not saying this because I am Australian.............................Oh who am I fooling, of course I am. But not ALL of it. Just most.

lewdikris

Established Member
Gunner4Eva said:
Funny how my posts in the "Best Right Back In The World" thread saying Lucas Neill was up there were entirely ignored. Who's laughing now!! :lol:

Who's laughing??? Me. There's more chance of Shane Warne playing for us than Lucas Neill. That article is a total load of ****e. Milan and Arsenal in for Lucas Neill? Purrrlease! He'll end up at some other mid-table club somewhere in Europe if he leaves Blackburn, and get sent off occasionally, and nothing more.

Ziontrain

A.M.A.G. said:
I don't think Ash is any better defensively than Lauren... Ash is just faster and can therefore can make up for poor positioning. Lauren is performs at a high level consistently... can't ask for much more... anything better will cost a pretty penny.

You imply in the one breath that both Ashely and Lauren are not up to par when it comes to defensive positioning. The in the next breath you are claiming that Lauren - a full back i.e a defender - performs "consistently at a high level"!?

Sorry but for a full back defensive positioning is the core of what makes him a high performer or not! Lauren is IMO far better going forward than playing defense. For a full-back attacking capability should be the icing on a well-backed cake -not the cake itself.

We will not be winning any more league titles until we have a back four that flat out knows how to lock down an opponent and keep clean sheets consitently. If there was anythign we learned from last season - outscoring a £500MM Chelsea team by far and STILL not winning the title, that should be the lesson.

At 27, if luaren hasn't figured out defensive positioning, he aint gonna. Its just the fact. Ashely might get better, I can see that. But Lauren has topped out.

So I don't see any titles until we upgrade defensively at that position - and at Cygan's backup squad position too. In all honesty, that's the truth. So if Lucas Neill is gonna give us better defense and still have fluidity going forward, we need to jump on it. Bravely standing by the patently lacking Lauren is not going to win us any titles.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom