• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor.gif

The sad thing is that Torreira is not even 20% player that Coquelin is. Need to get rid!

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fabregas's sale broke Overmars record, then Ox broke Cesc's, I think.

We are good at developing players tbf, haven't been that good at selling them though for a while :lol:

Transfer market says Overmars part of the deal was around €40m and Cescs was €34m. I remember when Cesc left it was still Overmars was the biggest.

We are not good at developing young players. We arent even good at developing mid 20 somethings we buy. Nobody improves at Arsenal. You look at other clubs and improvements are there but ours it seems they all go backwards.

We have a crop of young players in Martinelli, Saka, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah. These are the 5 players I expect to make a step up in the next 2 years into first team regulars if they develop and are coached well enough to make the next couple of steps.

What I dont understand is where are the young defenders that have came through the academy over the last 10 years.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

What's the point of discussing our best midfield options though when they're all dreadful. We could put any different combination and you can pick holes in any of them.

FWIW I'd like to give Xhaka-Willock a go but there's massive issues with that. Ceballos and Xhaka lacks athetlicism. Ceballos-Torreira, there's no passer. Guendouzi is a long way off the finished article, still in need of fine-tuning. Who gives a **** who one people think is the best when absolutely none of them are good enough if you're aspiring to be a Champions League club again.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Overmars surely wasn’t that expensive, how much did we lose Petit for then?

Didnt think he was that expensive either. Thought it was around £35m for them both and from what I read or believe the majority of that fee was Overmars. Some reports actually say that Arsenal were keen to make Barcelona take Petit as well. But again could be rubbish.

Regardless of that if we are saying Fabregas was more our 4 biggest sales have been Overmars 20 years ago, Fabregas almost 10 years ago, Chamberlain and Iwobi. Those last 2 fetched more money based on being homegrown.

Those figures and sales are nowhere near good enough for a team that wants to challenge. Especially when the young players we do keep are always on the mediocre side of things for example Walcott, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Wilshere was brilliant but unreliable, Ramsey was good but nothing more. Holding and Chambers are no better today than 3 years ago. Bellerin is no better now than when he first burst on the scene even before the injuries.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Didnt think he was that expensive either. Thought it was around £35m for them both and from what I read or believe the majority of that fee was Overmars. Some reports actually say that Arsenal were keen to make Barcelona take Petit as well. But again could be rubbish.

Regardless of that if we are saying Fabregas was more our 4 biggest sales have been Overmars 20 years ago, Fabregas almost 10 years ago, Chamberlain and Iwobi. Those last 2 fetched more money based on being homegrown.

Those figures and sales are nowhere near good enough for a team that wants to challenge. Especially when the young players we do keep are always on the mediocre side of things for example Walcott, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Wilshere was brilliant but unreliable, Ramsey was good but nothing more. Holding and Chambers are no better today than 3 years ago. Bellerin is no better now than when he first burst on the scene even before the injuries.

I always thought it was £40 million for the pair, £25 million for Marc and £15 million for Manu.

We are just not a team that challenges anymore unfortunately, when we did challenge we were pretty good at transfers...1997 sold Merson and Hartson for good money, brought in Overmars and Anelka and won the double...1999 sold Anelka for a massive profit, bought Thierry and a new state of the art training ground (at the time) Petit and Overmas for £40 million, Pires and Gilberto and for about half of that went on to be Invincible not long after...etc.

Losing Dein not long after the Emirates move crippled us financially, really killed us as a top team.

Haven't really had many top young talents in a good while now, since 2011 I can't really name one top young player we have developed in the first team, maybe Szczesny...the best youngster in that time was Gnabry, but we ballsed that up too :lol:

Hopeful with the current group of young players though.

Last edited:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
What's the point of discussing our best midfield options though when they're all dreadful. We could put any different combination and you can pick holes in any of them.

FWIW I'd like to give Xhaka-Willock a go but there's massive issues with that. Ceballos and Xhaka lacks athetlicism. Ceballos-Torreira, there's no passer. Guendouzi is a long way off the finished article, still in need of fine-tuning. Who gives a **** who one people think is the best when absolutely none of them are good enough if you're aspiring to be a Champions League club again.

When Torerria has been coined as one of our worse signings ever, it would have been interesting to see if BPP left him out of our midfield.

I'd play Torreria, Ceballos and Willock for balance as you have three hard workers and Ceballos and Willock are tidy on the ball. That trio lacks incisiveness though.

Balance wise - Torreria, Guendouzi and Willock is the best, but that is far too inexperienced.

name on paper wise - Xhaka and Özil definitely start with one other.

Torreria is the only senior cm we have that I actually think is good.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Credit where it’s due, I rate @BigPoppaPump ’s new move.

Step 1: find a player most of the forum rate
Step 2: post “do we all agree he’s awful now then”
Step 3: watch the fireworks unfold

Chainmail-wearing weirdo is obviously quite bored, but it’s good tekkers. Shame so many of you have nibbled on it.

Hit a nerve and drew you out of your black hole?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Nah, I respect his hustle. Best trolling this forum has seen in a while. Hope you’re taking notes.

Not trolling, Torreira is sh*t and in a few months the consensus will turn and everyone will be agreeing with me i.e. Lacazette. The old say yes wouldn't rate these players but now that Wenger isn't the manager you've turned into some Mother Theresa figure for these failure players.

tcahill

Not trolling, Torreira is sh*t and in a few months the consensus will turn and everyone will be agreeing with me i.e. Lacazette. The old say yes wouldn't rate these players but now that Wenger isn't the manager you've turned into some Mother Theresa figure for these failure players.

I don't think I've seen you give a proper argument as to why you think Torreira is crap aside from he's small.

Sure he's never going to be a beast in the air but his size doesn't impede his defensive abilities at all.

You won't ever rate him no matter how well he performs, the very definition of an agenda.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I don't think I've seen you give a proper argument as to why you think Torreira is crap aside from he's small.

Sure he's never going to be a beast in the air but his size doesn't impede his defensive abilities at all.

You won't ever rate him no matter how well he performs, the very definition of an agenda.
I’ll give you my 5 cents on Torreira.
He’s slow
Small
Weak
Not very progressive in his passing
Poor at winning aerial duels
Not a great ball carrier
Can only really play in one position.
As many people have pointed out he’s closer in level to Coquelin than he is to Kante or Casemiro. Now I actually didn’t mind Coquelin but I realise that at his very best Coquelin was a squad player for us and the same applies to Torreira. For someone so limited on the call you can’t give him 90 minutes every week. It’s just not viable for a team trying to play progressive possession based football.

9jagooner

Oh god another player at Arsenal that needs someone else to do the job for them, how about we get rid of him and stop buying these limited players?
Football is a team game last time I checked.
Some players are ball winners, some are ball carriers. Depends on what the manager wants to play.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
tenor.gif

The sad thing is that Torreira is not even 20% player that Coquelin is. Need to get rid!

I will never understand what Coq was trying to do here...he was off balance and on the wrong side to attempt whatever he is trying to do here, say that as a Coquelin fan too...his form in 2017 just plummeted really, shame.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I will never understand what Coq was trying to do here...he was off balance and on the wrong side to attempt whatever he is trying to do here, say that as a Coquelin fan too...his form in 2017 just plummeted really, shame.
Watching this looks like Hazard tripped his leg and put him to the ground. I'm not sure why we always show this video when we talk about Coq, there were 2 defenders behind him and Hazard was 25 yards out. Coq was good for us when we had Cazorla sitting next to him, and compared to players we bought after Coq, he looked like prime Makelele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom