• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenio Venger

I’m not convinced that Lucas Torreira is a good fit for us. We have always been weak in the middle with highly talented yet short technical players working our midfield and now our solution to this is adding a defensive midfielder that is 1.68m tall? He’s even shorter than Messi and no, he’s not built like N’Golo Kante. I’d rather we go after a more physical DM like William Carvahlo (1.90m) or Steve N’Zonzi (1.96m). The EPL is the most physical league in the world and we desperately need more grit in our midfield. I’ve watched Lucas closely during the World Cup with Uruguay and his games with Sampdoria, don’t see anything outstanding.

He’s been effective at Sampdoria and Uruguay plays better with him. Have you seen all those goals Uruguay allows? No, because he’s a big part of their defense

Kanonier

He’s been effective at Sampdoria and Uruguay plays better with him. Have you seen all those goals Uruguay allows? No, because he’s a big part of their defense

He’s going to get manhandled in the EPL. Doesn’t make sense to me...hope I’m wrong though!

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I’m not convinced that Lucas Torreira is a good fit for us. We have always been weak in the middle with highly talented yet short technical players working our midfield and now our solution to this is adding a defensive midfielder that is 1.68m tall? He’s even shorter than Messi and no, he’s not built like N’Golo Kante. I’d rather we go after a more physical DM like William Carvahlo (1.90m) or Steve N’Zonzi (1.96m). The EPL is the most physical league in the world and we desperately need more grit in our midfield. I’ve watched Lucas closely during the World Cup with Uruguay and his games with Sampdoria, don’t see anything outstanding.

Have you seen Torreira and Carvalho this world cup? Carvalho has been dreadful.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Not sure you can fit a William Carvahlo or Steve N’Zonzi in the midfield with Ramsey & Xhaka even if Emery as previously prefers a bigger guy. We desperately need that defensive burst of pace & mobility.

Think we identified the need, found the perfect target & now just need to get it 100% finalised.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
He’s going to get manhandled in the EPL. Doesn’t make sense to me...hope I’m wrong though!
There are advantages to being small. Messi can turn on a 6pence and with his low centre of gravity you cant knock him off the ball.

I don't know how much football you've played yourself, but the worst type of player you can come across is that one that little bastard who's constantly biting at your heels and you can skill past him because he's so fast to react. Torreira is that guy. He's exactly what we've needed.

Token Yank

Ban worthy?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
When I see Arsenic still reporting on this with a statement that Torreira's dentist gave to his son's school paper.

CourageousQuickItaliangreyhound-max-1mb.gif

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
No, our constant poor performances, embarrassing defeats, transfer cockups and losing our biggest names to the likes of City, Barcelona and United repeatedly have reinforced this. The media and in particular AFTV have nothing to do with it, we see it with our own eyes. Hopefully those days are behind us.

Except that virtually every other club has had runs of poor performances, embarrassing defeats, transfer cockups and have lost big players to other clubs, yet their fans don't display the same inferiority complex as a large subset of Arsenal fans.

But even if what you say were true, why would you transfer the same sense of inferiority and doom to the new people running the club? Isn't that what you've been clamoring for these past few years? Why would you not give the new guys some benefit of the doubt? If it were all a matter of cold, hard logic and observation, as you claim, you wouldn't be making such a transference of attitude.

Song Billong

Except that virtually every other club has had runs of poor performances, embarrassing defeats, transfer cockups and have lost big players to other clubs, yet their fans don't display the same inferiority complex as a large subset of Arsenal fans.

But even if what you say were true, why would you transfer the same sense of inferiority and doom to the new people running the club? Isn't that what you've been clamoring for these past few years? Why would you not give the new guys some benefit of the doubt? If it were all a matter of cold, hard logic and observation, as you claim, you wouldn't be making such a transference of attitude.

Indeed they may have. However not to the extent that we have in relation to how we would like to perceive ourselves as a big club.

Our club has regressed over the last few years. Not two years ago we would have been laughing at Liverpool (is that thread still around?) and at United (is that thread still around?) - yet look at the difference now. United were still able to sign our best player, again, despite having finished below us more times than not over the last few years.

The new administration have still got it all to prove - though they have started off on the right foot by working out these signings so quickly, so it's a good start. They have got my benefit of doubt at the moment, and I will support them. But I'm not going to take anything on faith, I'll wait to see the actual proof prior to claiming that we're back. Just because they have arrived doesn't mean all the work over the last few years has been undone because they've set foot in the door.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Indeed they may have. However not to the extent that we have in relation to how we would like to perceive ourselves as a big club.

Our club has regressed over the last few years. Not two years ago we would have been laughing at Liverpool (is that thread still around?) and at United (is that thread still around?) - yet look at the difference now. United were still able to sign our best player, again, despite having finished below us more times than not over the last few years.

The new administration have still got it all to prove - though they have started off on the right foot by working out these signings so quickly, so it's a good start. They have got my benefit of doubt at the moment, and I will support them. But I'm not going to take anything on faith, I'll wait to see the actual proof prior to claiming that we're back. Just because they have arrived doesn't mean all the work over the last few years has been undone because they've set foot in the door.

This is your inferiority complex talking. Liverpool finished 8th in 2015-16. They wouldn't have finished in the top 4 this year had Salah not been such a revelation. Chelsea finished 10th that season, won the title, then dropped back to 5th. This past season -- you said it yourself -- was the first time since Fergie retired that United finished ahead of Arsenal. So what puts any of those clubs a level above Arsenal? This year's league table? Well, tables change.

Sure, United signed Alexis. If you want to proclaim him Arsenal's best player, then fine (although that certainly hadn't been the case for about a year and a half, in my opinion, and he was actually hurting the team in the end). But here's the thing: Arsenal swapped him for another top player. And the player Arsenal got was a better player in the 2nd half and was quite obviously a better fit for the team than Alexis, who was a big disappointment to the United fans who were so thrilled to get him. And not only did Arsenal get Mkhitaryan, they brought in Aubameyang -- a better player than Alexis, period.

And seriously, is it really the prospect of Arsenal being laughed at by other fans that really bothers you? Hate to tell you this, but that's entirely a product of ArsenalFanTV and the clickbait media. Well, that and your own paranoia.

Stannis

Not not to long ago that Kante dominated the midfield in the Pl, two seasons in a row with different teams yet people are still freaking out about Torreira’s height.

If he is good enough he will make it and all the signs thus far is that he is good enough

Kanonier

Not not to long ago that Kante dominated the midfield in the Pl, two seasons in a row with different teams yet people are still freaking out about Torreira’s height.

If he is good enough he will make it and all the signs thus far is that he is good enough

Yes, but N’Golo Kante is built like a tank and strong as a bull. Lucas looks very small even next to a small player like Messi.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Kante has still been bossing it, last season and even in this WC, if he carries on the way he is he needs to be discussed as one of the worlds best players.

Torreira's height isnt an issue for his position, he does most of his work on the floor, if the ball is at someones feet he is fine, he is like a wrecking ball coming at your lower half, not really necessary for him to barge you off the ball as his whole body will be targeting the area with the ball which is going to knock any player off balance, you can be tall and have a strong upper half but if his whole body weight is about to hit your legs, the things keeping you standing.. you are ending up on the floor ie Ronaldo when Torreira came charging in the other night.

Headers - rare that midfield battles happen in the air, usually a battle reserved for CB's and CF's these days, anything played up by the GK will have Sokratis dealing with.

He also appears to be a battler/fighter, the Stoke like teams who try to bully him, this isnt a weak mentality player like we've had before, you watch them 'try to act hard' players fold when he doesnt let them bully him, he's already a better player than these **** house players, they will go very quiet when he cant be bullied as well.

Hoping for and expecting good things from him as you can probably tell :lol:

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Kante has still been bossing it, last season and even in this WC, if he carries on the way he is he needs to be discussed as one of the worlds best players.

Torreira's height isnt an issue for his position, he does most of his work on the floor, if the ball is at someones feet he is fine, he is like a wrecking ball coming at your lower half, not really necessary for him to barge you off the ball as his whole body will be targeting the area with the ball which is going to knock any player off balance, you can be tall and have a strong upper half but if his whole body weight is about to hit your legs, the things keeping you standing.. you are ending up on the floor ie Ronaldo when Torreira came charging in the other night.

Headers - rare that midfield battles happen in the air, usually a battle reserved for CB's and CF's these days, anything played up by the GK will have Sokratis dealing with.

He also appears to be a battler/fighter, the Stoke like teams who try to bully him, this isnt a weak mentality player like we've had before, you watch them 'try to act hard' players fold when he doesnt let them bully him, he's already a better player than these **** house players, they will go very quiet when he cant be bullied as well.

Hoping for and expecting good things from him as you can probably tell :lol:

I don't think he has to keep this level for longer to consider him in that bracket.
Kante is the best DM in the world, end off.

Yeah Casemiro is worldclass as well, but Real has the best squad and the star is the team. Kante, at times, should just be illegal.

That being said, Torreira is the best now, of course :drool:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I don't think he has to keep this level for longer to consider him in that bracket.
Kante is the best DM in the world, end off.

Yeah Casemiro is worldclass as well, but Real has the best squad and the star is the team. Kante, at times, should just be illegal.

That being said, Torreira is the best now, of course :drool:

I know hes the best DM in the world by far but I'm talking one of the best players in general, his consistency levels are crazy, easily makes it into the current top 5 players in world football for me.

Reason I said if he carries on is because its usually only the creative types who get spoken about as best in world, Neymar has been referred to as #3 in the world behind the obvious two, I'd take Kante over him every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom