• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lukas Podolski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glovegun

Established Member
mavelous said:
if he could run with the ball as well as nasri or hleb, we'd get 15+ goals easily from him. I'm just not convinced theo and podolski on the wings will cut it if we want to have the ball.

I guess Podolski's arrival means that we won't necessarily be seeing Robin starting every game, and that Theo is not the guaranteed starter that he has been this season. The Ox will have a big part to play next season and Gervinho didn't come too cheap either - Wenger will want to get him involved too.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
scytheavatar said:
AnthonyG said:
So you're against this signing? And who was Denilson MKII?
I don't know what to think of the Podolski signing really, at the moment I am feeling about him the same way I feel about Gervinho last season, if he's another one of the signings then yeah he isn't a bad player to add to our team, but if he's the biggest signing of next season then we are screwed. I think he still has a lot to prove, he has been pretty awful the seasons before this season and there are still lots of question marks over his 'mental strength' and whether he chokes when put in a bigger pond. In short he just reminds me way too much of Hleb and Nasri, and I am afraid he's going to be another player whom we won't win trophies with in our squad.

As for Denilson MKII I think it should be quite obvious whom I am talking about.
I don't know. I only see him when Germany plays and Löw is no idiot, so to keep picking him means something. Löw even started his involvement with the NT the same year as Podolski debuted. I've read a lot about his Bayern days and the sense I get is that there were plenty of mitigating factors. All in all, this transfer excites me and is a good start.

And, no, if I knew who Denilson MKII was I wouldn't have asked. Not that I'm buying into this sulking etc. comparison, but who has been 'utter crap' after getting dropped? Arshavin? If so, the comparison falls apart even more. Better you just say who it is.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
redwhiteAustrian said:
Beksl said:
redwhiteAustrian said:
Wouldn't put him into the same category with the likes of Verms, Kos, Szczesny, etc.

He doesn't belong there, he's someone who's not really known for taking responsibility.

He's definitely taking responsibility at Koln and he's very passionate about his football much like Verms.

Nah, I don't think so.
If that was the case, he wouldn't have started some sort of boardroom-fight with his demands when it comes to Cologne's next manager of sports.

He is passionate about his club (hence why he did the above mentioned) but the single fact that he's been their skipper and been their most important player this season, doesn't automatically mean he's taking over responsibility.

Podolski is still a hothead despite his duties and standing on the pitch, and when you see him playing for the german team, he's not really someone who stands up and the counted if the going gets tough.
He's not like that.

What does it mean if not taking over responsibility, because leading by example, for me, means exactly that, you're taking over responsibility to perform, trying to lift your team with goals/assists.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Taking over responsibility means for me, performing at your very best when the going gets tough, something he wasn't quite able to do in recent weeks when Cologne struggled from one game to another. Of course he can't do all by himself, but he's had a dip in form in recent weeks.

Add to that the fact that he tried to interfere into club-level decisions, and it paints for me the picture of a passionate player, but not really one who takes over responsibility.

He didn't get the armband because of his leadership qualities, he got it because he's their best player.
Quite comparable to Fabs.

If you look at his games for the german national team, there's an interesting stat.....he rarely scores in big matches but more so against inferior teams. The stat itself is pretty non-saying one might think but it adds up with the impression I got from him.

Not that I'm complaining if he was to join us, I just want to point out that people shouldn't expect something he won't be able to deliver.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I don't know nothing about his interference in boardroom decisions so I can't comment on that, care to provide some links to this?

Taking over responsibility means for me, performing at your very best when the going gets tough, something he wasn't quite able to do in recent weeks when Cologne struggled from one game to another. Of course he can't do all by himself, but he's had a dip in form in recent weeks.

Similar to our own captain I would say, every player has a dip in form and the dip is so more evident if you're playing for a relegation candidate where EVERYONE is expecting you to perform.

He didn't get the armband because of his leadership qualities, he got it because he's their best player.

Nah, he got it because Novakovic was stripped off after the fall out with Soldo, armband is irrelevant here, he was the leader in the dressing room before that, coupled with Novakovic.

If you look at his games for the german national team, there's an interesting stat.....he rarely scores in big matches but more so against inferior teams. The stat itself is pretty non-saying one might think but it adds up with the impression I got from him.

Apart from Spain, Brazil, Italy, France and Argentina which other team is not inferior to the mighty Germans. :D

On a more serious note, you're forgetting he has a different role in the national team, he's not the focal point of their attack and despite that he scored a lot of goals and provided key assists.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Beksl, once Novakovic lost the armband, Podolski got it because he's the best player out of those avialable, not because of his great leadership skills - that's what some supporters of Cologne told me. Never heard or read anything, that he was the leader alongside Novakovic in the dressing room, prior to that.

I'm going to find a link for you with the story, might be in german though.

The stat I was refering to was shared by Honigstein from the Guardian who wrote a piece about Podolski coming to Arsenal (with a positive conclusion). With inferior teams I meant teams like San Marino e.g. not those you've mentioned. :lol:

I just wanted to point out that even when the going got tough for the german team (vs. Italy 2006, Spain 2008 and 2010), he didn't turn up either although he clearly has the ability to do so as he consistently shows in Bundesliga.

In the end it all comes down to what one expects from him and I don't expect him to be in the same bracket as the likes of Verms, Kos, Robin, etc. in regards to mental toughness / taking over responsibility.

EDIT:
Here's the link, in german though.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I've read that article (and some others) about Podolski's international scoring record, but, let's face it, we could do with goals against our 'weaker' opposition too.

Vela

Established Member
Podolski's matured a lot since his days at Munich. I think he will be a good signing and will mainly play on the left. He's very experienced and has a great international record as well. It shows van Persie Arsenal want to sign proven/experienced players.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
redwhiteAustrian said:
Beksl, once Novakovic lost the armband, Podolski got it because he's the best player out of those avialable, not because of his great leadership skills - that's what some supporters of Cologne told me. Never heard or read anything, that he was the leader alongside Novakovic in the dressing room, prior to that.

Well that was the impression I got reading some interviews with Novakovic.

I don't think I follow you, so you're saying he's not having great leadership skills at least not in the mould of Verms and RvP? I guess that kind of quality is best shown when you're winning not when you're in a relegation scrape, losing game by game.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
That quality is not only shown when you're winning, but also when you're fighting against relegation - it's bascially the same. You're trying to achieve a target, whether that's for a trophy or for keeping your team in the League, doesn't really matter in that aspect.

In recent weeks where Cologne got under more and more pressure in terms of relegation, he didn't really step up. Neither did he with Germany in their last two tournaments where he's performed not that great, and many german fans were calling for him to be dropped (which seems/seemed reasonable given their options).

My initial point was just that he's not in the same bracket as RVP or Verms when it comes to those skills, and I don't think he will join that (not so small) group here, even if he plays for honours instead of surival.

You're more than right Ant, we could do with more goals against inferior teams. Nonetheless, I'm not against signing Podolski at all (if any I was just sceptical due to the rumoured fee, a couple of months ago).

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Don't get me wrong, rwA, I'm all for hearing balanced and informed views of potential signings including their weaknesses. But some posts make it seem like he's a psychopath. I truly hope that's not the case.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
:lol:

Psychopath stretches it a bit, he's a little hothead, that's all.
A bit like the "old" van Persie, which means he tends to lose his temper a bit when things don't go well for him, but still not as bad as Rooney e.g.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Podolski will be fine as long as he performs in a supporting act to Van Persie, along with another quality attacker on his opposite side. If on the other hand, we are expecting him to constantly fill in for Van Persie, who I suspect will be weaker next season after a long and enduring campaign, or worse, to replace him, then we might as well start moaning now.

The Escaped Ape

He's not being recruited to be captain, but I'd hope he could at least be a mature, positive part of the team dynamic. We don't want any prima donnas.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Seriously, have we signed Podolski or not? Bremen have more or less confirmed that Marin is joining Chelsea.
"Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs said in a statement: "We have always said that we would be open to talk if any of our players receives a good offer which was also interesting for Werder and we had good talks with the management at Chelsea, so that we were able to reach an agreement quickly. In the coming weeks, we will then deal with the last formalities. We wish Marko all the best for this new challenge."
So it's not like teams can't talk about transfers before the 'official' transfer season begins.
So have we just agreed personal terms but not concluded a deal with Cologne?

Flow

Podolski is like the only good player they have in Koln. They are waiting for the good moment. Also, Koln isn't relegated yet.

Mastadon

Established Member
Well a quick look at the bundesliga table shows that Bremen are 9th with nothing much left to play for while Koln are 16th and in the relegation playoff spot, 2 points above automatic relegation and 5 points off 15th and safety so the circumstances surrounding both clubs and transfers are very different.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bundesliga.de/en/liga/tabelle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bundesliga.de/en/liga/tabelle/</a>

Can imagine the fans wouldn't be too pleased if the announcement came now while they are fighting to stay up and I'm sure Podolski doesnt want the distraction either while fighting to keep his hometown club up.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
There's only one set of games left in the Bundesliga (they only play 34), so Koln are definitely in the play-offs and could go down if they lose their final game and Hertha win theirs.

Hertha play Hoffenheim at home, whilst Koln are at home to Bayern Munich. We might be getting that announcement we're all waiting for pretty soon, then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom