• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marcos Roberto Silveira Reis

lee1001

Established Member
For once a rumour with credibility. BBC are normaly quite accurate.

I don't know Marcos, is he any good. As for going for a younger keeper, not sure thats a good idea. As a goalkeeper, experience is an essential quality and at 31, he has at least 5 years left at the top.
Not sure if there are any young keepers around that will be a resonable price.

What this says for the future of Almunia (4 year contract) and Taylor i don't know.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Marcos is not that bad.. in WC2002, Brazil actually looked like they won in-part BECAUSE of their keeper instead of usually winning in SPITE of their keeper.. he looked good.. but havent seen or heard much from him since then... as we have seen with Rustu, a strong WC doesnt mean you are always great..

asajoseph

Established Member
You think so USArsenal? I don't really remember him as having too much to do... I think Turkey were the only team that really challenged Brazil in the whole competition. But then it is a while ago now, and my memory about certain players is beginning to fade a little...

As for Green - I'm not too keen really, I think that a player needs more than one season at the top level to be any kind of proven talent, ESPECIALLY a keeper. How many one-season wonder goalkeepers have we seen in the past, including our very own Richard Wright? Hidebrand on the other hand I'd be keen on... He is a real class act, and has shown it at the very highest level. Although - why isn't he being considered for the Germany role? I mean, I know Kahn is getting worse, and I'm not Jens' biggest detractor, but surely Hildebrand deserves a shot ahead of both of these two?

lee1001

Established Member
More importantly if Hildebrand is so good according to most people in this forum why haven't we been linked? And why isn't he in the Germany squad?

asajoseph

Established Member
I've no idea lee... last season, I think there might have been a few planetfootball rumours about him joining, but I can't quite remember. Last season Stuttgart said that they weren't going to let him go. I don't know if that situation has changed or not...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
asajoseph said:
You think so USArsenal? I don't really remember him as having too much to do... I think Turkey were the only team that really challenged Brazil in the whole competition. But then it is a while ago now, and my memory about certain players is beginning to fade a little...

As for Green - I'm not too keen really, I think that a player needs more than one season at the top level to be any kind of proven talent, ESPECIALLY a keeper. How many one-season wonder goalkeepers have we seen in the past, including our very own Richard Wright? Hidebrand on the other hand I'd be keen on... He is a real class act, and has shown it at the very highest level. Although - why isn't he being considered for the Germany role? I mean, I know Kahn is getting worse, and I'm not Jens' biggest detractor, but surely Hildebrand deserves a shot ahead of both of these two?

asajoseph, yeah, he was pretty good.. he made some good stops.. i have every WC2002 match on tape and have watched them a couple times since then...

having said that, i have NO idea how he has been SINCE then..

asajoseph

Established Member
Lol... fair enough mate - I'll concede that one to you!

I certainly don't remember him doing anything wrong, I just don't really remember him doing anything amazing either (not that he had the opportunity to). But if you say so, I'll concede that one!

lee1001

Established Member
If the days of 'Safe Hands' has shown us anything its that if your positioning is good then you rarely have to make amazing saves. Seaman was the best GK of his generation. Schmeical got more acclaim because of his 'amazing saves' but thats because his positioning was poor.
If you don't notice the GK then that generaly means they had a good game. So as for Marcos in WC2002, the fact that he wasn't noticed maybe a good thing.

However right now, id take any GK that can kick a ****ing football!!!

dynasty

iif marcos can be had for cheap then why not..i remeber liking him alot before..
green im not impressed with greatly and hilderbrandt cant be that good if he is behind jens

asajoseph

Established Member
Dynasty, Hildebrand IS definitely good. Last season he broke Kahn's record for most minutes without conceding a goal.

He is a genuine class player, as were a few of the Stuttgart guys from last season. A lot of them seemed to have dropped off the map though, and I don't know why...

I don't really think much of the German league though, in any case...

Sammer

Established Member
lee1001 said:
More importantly if Hildebrand is so good according to most people in this forum why haven't we been linked? And why isn't he in the Germany squad?

He is in the german squad. Although he is Germany´s 3rd choice keeper, he has been outstanding since 2003. Broke Kahn´s all-time-record of not conceding any goal for over 10 games. Hildebrandt will play during the Asia tour of the german national team in December/January.

I am convinced, that ManU is looking at him. Caroll f*cked up yesterday (again) will be only an interm-choice in my view. Fergie was sincerely impressed with Hildebrandt - and he might be just the long-term-solution ManU (and Arsenal?) is looking at.

He is 25 now - with no real weakness, excellent shot stopper and great at positioning and reading a game. He has CL & national team experience....and costs about 5-6 million pounds.

A steal in my view.

malagar

Hildebrand will be around 3 mill and if can talk to him properly - we could sign him on the bosman in summer - his contract is ending and from january he is open to offers from other clubs .

Ratinho

Established Member
Great. Linked with a keeper thats not played for months, and if we're being honest, is no better than what we've got. So we're going to continue to settle instead of going for the likes of Frey and Hildebrand Even Toldo if we need a stop-gap. We didn't want Marcos when he was playing regularly, and we definately don't want him now.

There is some great irony that Hildebrand is behind both Kahn and Lehmann in the Germany squad, although this is simply down to age, as he is the better keeper now. Don't think he'd even cost £6m, I think it would be closer to £3-4m.

Sammer

Established Member
Ratinho said:
There is some great irony that Hildebrand is behind both Kahn and Lehmann in the Germany squad, although this is simply down to age, as he is the better keeper now. Don't think he'd even cost £6m, I think it would be closer to £3-4m.

Well, you know how it is in other national team squads: coupet is a better keeper than Barthez, still coupet is on the bench.

Anyway, I believe Hildebrandt would cost around 5 million, which is a bargain, considering that he is most likely one of the future world-top keepers for the next 10 years.

AFCG7

Established Member
Sammer.. it will be some sort of miracle if we go for and get HIldenbrand..Wenger just has not spent money in defensive areas at all and i dont think he is willing to change his mind.

Ratinho

Established Member
Didn't he spend £5m on Lauren? Cole came through the reserves, Campbell was free, and Kolo was virtually unknown. When he arrived, he had the back four provided for him, for the first season or 2, and it is only now that Keown has moved that we are very light.

This season, and possibly next, will show us if Wenger is capable of buying well defensively, as he may have some money to actually spend.

Anyway, isn't Hildebrand out of contract at the end of the season? Why would he be around £5m if he would be free in 6 months after that?

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom