• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard

Would you be happy with signing him on loan?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree we need a creative player like Ödegaard or Buendia in the summer, but I would rather extend Laca than have Chaka for another season. The only reason we need so much creativity in attack (more than pther teams) is becasue we transition the ball so slowly from defense to attacking areas, which lets the opponent get all their players between the ball and their goal and structure their defense. All that means middle of the park is closed to a much higher degree and we’re forced to attack down the wings and cross. A player like ESR have shown great potential as a remedy for that as he is elite at finding space, but transitioning the ball to attack faster would completely transform our fortunes. Xhaka and Ceballos are the worst sinners but that’s not to say Elneny is good enough. Top 4 will be nowhere to be seen until we’ve found a better partner for Partey as well as a backup with the same traits.

Don't be fooled by this recent run of form for Lacazette. We won't be a successful team with him as our 9. He is short, slow, weak, and technically limited. There has never been a successful PL team with a player like that up front, the most important outfield position. He certainly isn't a player for transitions. Maybe the midfield would pass the ball faster if we had players up front that made good runs in behind and could carry the ball.

Our attackers are just not up to it. Auba is a great goalscorer but is very limited. Pepe hasn't been good and Saka/ESR/Martinelli are kids. It's not sustainable to expect them to put in top level performances ever week in the PL. We'd have gotten more points from against Leicester, Burnley, Wolves ect if our forwards showed consistent quality.

I get what you mean about Xhaka, but for me he's been pretty solid this season. Can we upgrade? Sure. Would I commit significant funds to doing so at the expense of the forward positions? No.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Sad there’s no option to buy, but I think we’ll discuss the possibility in the summer. Is it true he only has one year remaining on his contract? If so we could grab ourselves a right bargain.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Lack of option is annoying and what is even more so annoying is how does Edu & Arteta conclude that Szoboszlai cannot be trusted to make an immediate impact but I'm assuming Ødegaard is? Where's the sense in that?

Szobo was planned to go to another Red Bull team. Pretty obvious. And he backs himself to get a transfer soon from Leipzig.

drippin

Don't be fooled by this recent run of form for Lacazette. We won't be a successful team with him as our 9. He is short, slow, weak, and technically limited. There has never been a successful PL team with a player like that up front, the most important outfield position. He certainly isn't a player for transitions. Maybe the midfield would pass the ball faster if we had players up front that made good runs in behind and could carry the ball.

Our attackers are just not up to it. Auba is a great goalscorer but is very limited. Pepe hasn't been good and Saka/ESR/Martinelli are kids. It's not sustainable to expect them to put in top level performances ever week in the PL. We'd have gotten more points from against Leicester, Burnley, Wolves ect if our forwards showed consistent quality.

I get what you mean about Xhaka, but for me he's been pretty solid this season. Can we upgrade? Sure. Would I commit significant funds to doing so at the expense of the forward positions? No.

I'm fine with selling Laca & getting someone like Edouard, if we can afford it. In any case I want to upgrade CMF & AMF, and get permanent transfers there soon.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm fine with selling Laca & getting someone like Edouard, if we can afford it. In any case I want to upgrade CMF & AMF, and get permanent transfers there soon.

I'd target Edouard, right profile and won't cost much, its a no brainer. My list of preferences probably goes AM>CF>CM.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Your missing the point regarding Laca. I’m far from happy with our striker options and would prefer to replace him with another striker. It’s just that this is how bad I believe Xhaka’s presence is. I understand you when you say he’s been solid, I can see that perspective. I just think it’s a false positive, he’s been good in defense and he looks good in possession, but it’s an illusion created from him having an elite passing accuracy. Our biggest problem is he’s picking the wrong alternatives 8/10 times.

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
You need short term and long term steps. Long term kicks the can down the road and let's us fail today. We need results today. We've got a 6 month loan. Let's use it and get the absolute best from it.
4 months. I know, it seems bizarre, but it’s 4 months:lol:

drippin

Your missing the point regarding Laca. I’m far from happy with our striker options and would prefer to replace him with another striker. It’s just that this is how bad I believe Xhaka’s presence is. I understand you when you say he’s been solid, I can see that perspective. I just think it’s a false positive, he’s been good in defense and he looks good in possession, but it’s an illusion created from him having an elite passing accuracy. Our biggest problem is he’s picking the wrong alternatives 8/10 times.

Xhaka can't have a starting role here for long anymore. I'm fine with him as a squad player. Elneny can get the boot, thanks for the service.

I hope Edouard wants to come here, if he is as good as people say. Wouldn't cost too much in "switch" for Laca.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
That would be ridiculous. Even if we were doing well on the pitch we'd have no chance, his next move is to Bayern or Madrid.

Im fine with Xhaka as a first choice for another season if we can get a top quality forward player. Our problem is in the final third, that's where all of the funds should go.
You can't be serious. We can hardly get the ball to the final third with Xhaka being a main stay in our starting 11. Our base is the problem right now as we are too slow in transition. Partey has helped a lot so far now imagine a better midfielder than Xhaka beside him.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough, I respect your opinion but I don't agree. I'm all for upgrading on Xhaka, as I am with every player at the club, but I just don't think he's a massive problem in the team. I think Xhaka and Partey looked good together, albeit against Newcastle.

The problem with Lacazette is he plays in the most important area of the pitch. He is as big a problem as Xhaka is when we transition. His physical limitations prevent him from making runs in behind, so everything has to be to feet, and it's not like he's a Firmino or Benzema technically. This, coupled with Auba's limitations means we really lack dynamism in our forward players, and basically means we can't counter attack.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You can't be serious. We can hardly get the ball to the final third with Xhaka being a main stay in our starting 11. Our base is the problem right now as we are too slow in transition. Partey has helped a lot so far now imagine a better midfielder than Xhaka beside him.

Im being deadly serious, our problem is the final third, so I'd like to sign better final third players, its not rocket science.

We've had no one to play between the lines this season until ESR's emergence, I'd say that has been biggest problem so far this season.

We are a top 6 club, without the top 6 firepower.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Im being deadly serious, our problem is the final third, so I'd like to sign better final third players, its not rocket science.

We've had no one to play between the lines this season until ESR's emergence, I'd say that has been biggest problem so far this season.

We are a top 6 club, without the top 6 firepower.
But we have only one person who can get the ball to the final 3rd on a regular basis. We need another or the other teams will just man-mark Partey because they know Xhaka will just pass it back or sideways. I think if we can get the ball into the final third quicker we'll have a lot more goal scoring chances.
We cannot have another year of Xhaka being a regular starter. We've been outside the top 4 since he's signed and it's not just a coincidence. Our play has been slow and listless in midfield. We need him relegated to the bench. Preferably I'd want him and Elneny out in the summer and replacements brought in for both.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
But we have only one person who can get the ball to the final 3rd on a regular basis. We need another or the other teams will just man-mark Partey because they know Xhaka will just pass it back or sideways. I think if we can get the ball into the final third quicker we'll have a lot more goal scoring chances.

I think Xhaka passes the ball forward when the opportunity presents itself. He struggles against low blocks, but most midfielders do. Only the elite ones can break down these types of defences on a consistent basis. Look at the Chelsea game for example, his passing forward was a key to us winning that match.

Xhaka-Partey is a solid midfield in my opinion. It would be irresponsible "upgrading" on that before we sign a CF/AM/Wide player in my opinion.

Finesse

I was hoping we secure Buendia this season. Of course Norwich must have every reason to hold him down and complete their promotion project. I hope price only was not the issue. I hope we revisit this top priority first day of the window next season and already tied down verbal etc with his agent/camp.

MO is a very astute choice. He is not an unknown player. No need dwelling on this. The choice he made to Arsenal ahead of RSociedad is a clear indication his advisers have learned from his past and need a project and new challenge for him.

MO at arsenal just has to lean very quickly to adapt to the pace of the PL and how to evade the press when on the ball. If he does those 2 , he has the best skills for the rest. Then we have an interesting end to the season.

This team needs more technically very proficient players. About 3-4 in midfield. Now we have Partey who needs a new partner , ESR , MO on loan , and need another in the summer. Our problem now is the lack of players who can move the ball quicker from midfield into final third to pick up the wingers and forwards in transition / movement one we win the battles in midfield or when we pass away from a high press. Apart from Partey , not even Xhaka and Ceballos can.( Decent players but take so much time on the ball to get the pass out of their feet) Partey from deep can pass quicker in transition between the lines , wide to the wings , and deep into feet with ease and naturally. That is when we are deadly with Auba , Laca , Saka have an edge on the defenders and we score goals.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think Xhaka passes the ball forward when the opportunity presents itself. He struggles against low blocks, but most midfielders do. Only the elite ones can break down these types of defences on a consistent basis. Look at the Chelsea game for example, his passing forward was a key to us winning that match.

Xhaka-Partey is a solid midfield in my opinion. It would be irresponsible "upgrading" on that before we sign a CF/AM/Wide player in my opinion.

Maybe he does not pass it forward as much as he can because the comfort zone for him has to be greater because his technical passing ability is not up there with the best. A version of Elneny that is not so bad, but still not great either. This is where I’ve been at with him over the last few weeks, and after seeing a contrast with Partey during the Newcastle match.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Only concerning thing I have with Ødegaard is whether he'll be able to deal with the speed of the league, so many players have struggled. You look at ceballos whose a highly technical player but it seems everything is a little to fast for him

Breezy

Only concerning thing I have with Ødegaard is whether he'll be able to deal with the speed of the league, so many players have struggled. You look at ceballos whose a highly technical player but it seems everything is a little to fast for him

Aguero
Courtois
Alexis Sanchez
David Silva
Santi Cazorla
Diego Costa
Ander Herrera
Yaya Toure

All seemed to deal with the pace just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom