• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mathieu Bodmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dos1986

Established Member
Another good player gone...

Lyon are going to sell this guy for £20mill in two summers and we turned him away because Diaby might be a good player..

We spent £3mill on Alex Song And Bodmer was available for £5mill....a midfield of Diaby,Gilberto,Cesc and Denilson is not enough to challenge on all fronts...Gilberto will be tired next season,Denilson is a kid,Diaby is not that good and Cesc will have the carry the can again...

Grampus_Eight

The Boss must have thought that he wouldn't make a good partner for Cesc. Moreover, while we may have missed out on an impressive talent at a good price, it's not just Diaby who might come good, but also Denilson. He must figure that one of these two has a great chance to become a better player than Bodmer AND failing that Rosicky is already a superior central midfielder.

Hopefully, with the arrival of a wide midfielder/winger, we might get to see more of Rosicky centrally and hopefully Cesc will get a rest from time to time.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Bodmer could do the jobs of Diaby and Denilson combined.

I still think it's funds.

You can wax lyrical about what the board has said but I don't believe we have the funds to spend the odd 5 or 6 million pounds to improve our squad.

We already know Arsène won't buy 30 year olds.

So when an opportunity like Bodmer comes along ( and we fail to take action) then your left scratching your head!!!

I know we scouted him, I know he was highly rated. So when you do the maths it has got to be about money.

This really bothers me...

And before people talk about the Diaby/Denilson/Ade/Rosicky deals - don't forget....players had to be sold or offloaded (to relax wage pressures) before we went to the market...

It's very frustrating......this brand new staduim that was meant to attract talent and fund a top class team - yet all it's done is left us hamstrung for funds.

And like it was pointed out Lyon will sell him in a couple of years time for double what they bought him for to Chelski or Manure where he'll no doubt kick a winning goal against us.

Just pisses me off.

kooldawg

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
Bodmer could do the jobs of Diaby and Denilson combined.

I still think it's funds.

You can wax lyrical about what the board has said but I don't believe we have the funds to spend the odd 5 or 6 million pounds to improve our squad.

We already know Arsène won't buy 30 year olds.

So when an opportunity like Bodmer comes along ( and we fail to take action) then your left scratching your head!!!

I know we scouted him, I know he was highly rated. So when you do the maths it has got to be about money.

This really bothers me...

And before people talk about the Diaby/Denilson/Ade/Rosicky deals - don't forget....players had to be sold or offloaded (to relax wage pressures) before we went to the market...

It's very frustrating......this brand new staduim that was meant to attract talent and fund a top class team - yet all it's done is left us hamstrung for funds.

And like it was pointed out Lyon will sell him in a couple of years time for double what they bought him for to Chelski or Manure where he'll no doubt kick a winning goal against us.

Just pisses me off.

Have to agree with you mate...

Like it or not we're stuck with the consequences of moving to the Emirates, I bet Wenger is just as frustrated about the whole thing and i'm not really sure what we can do about it either. Its clear that a takeover will not solve our problems. I guess we'll have to endure being fringe players in the transfer market and continue looking for bargains and hope that the next big thing comes our way by way of the youth system.

asajoseph

Established Member
Has anyone considered the fact that, for a frenchman from the french league, moving to Lyon might just be a more attractive option than moving to Arsenal right now?

Who knows what might have gone on behind the scenes - but maybe, just maybe, we couldn't have got in on the act even if we'd wanted to?

DC Gunner

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Has anyone considered the fact that, for a frenchman from the french league, moving to Lyon might just be a more attractive option than moving to Arsenal right now?

Who knows what might have gone on behind the scenes - but maybe, just maybe, we couldn't have got in on the act even if we'd wanted to?
Why am I reading "in your post" that we don't have that much of a pulling power when it comes to making players think about IT !

Or am I reading too much :?

qs

Established Member
Has anyone wondered why no one in England seemed to be making a move? When United spent £17m on Hargreaves, West Ham are paying £8m for Parker, Villa pretty much the same for Re-Coker and Toon as much as Bodmer cost for Barton does no one think Maybe Bodmer just didn't fancy England.

asajoseph

Established Member
DC Gunner said:
asajoseph said:

Why am I reading "in your post" that we don't have that much of a pulling power when it comes to making players think about IT !

Or am I reading too much :?

It's not even necessarily anything to do with us.

It's just that it's a very blinkered perspective that can't understand why clubs like Lyon and Bayern might be attractive to players at the moment.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
klose and bodmer for example can use the "i wanted to stay in my country so i can be in euro 2008, settling in another league is to big of a risk" excuse as many other players will do...and even some that wanted to leave their clubs but couldnt, can use that as a backup lie

longrufus

Established Member
Who says its an excuse or lie, cant it be the truth?

Bodmar, if he came to Arsenal would not get as many games as he would playing at Lyon. Also, it would be difficult to settle into a new culture, a new way of life. As Asa says, Bodmar may simply prefer to play for Lyon.

brianfrance

Established Member
Lyon's the best transition before playing abroab for any french player, and the fact that 15 players from L1 were in the last national squad push a lot of players to stay in France. Furthermore, Domenech words about Gourcuff ("he should have played 50 games this season" => translation, he should have stayed in france) make some moves abroad unlikely, especially for players who are knocking on the national squad's door, just like Bodmer. And look at Toulalan...a sure starter when PV or Makelele are injured...since he's playing for Lyon!

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
brianfrance said:
Lyon's the best transition before playing abroab for any french player, and the fact that 15 players from L1 were in the last national squad push a lot of players to stay in France. Furthermore, Domenech words about Gourcuff ("he should have played 50 games this season" => translation, he should have stayed in france) make some moves abroad unlikely, especially for players who are knocking on the national squad's door, just like Bodmer. And look at Toulalan...a sure starter when PV or Makelele are injured...since he's playing for Lyon!
very true. actually many french prefer to stay in france with lyon simply because you can be guaranteed CL football plus success in france. furthermore you can have first team football easier than in abroad.

unless you are ultra talented, you are more likely to stay in france with the top club if you are above average.

nazo

Established Member
Lyon pay big money for Lille duo
Eurosport | Sat, Jun 16, 15:08

Lyon have splashed out big money in the transfer market, buying Lille's Mathieu Bodmer and Kader Keita for a combined 24.5 million (£16m). "Keita cost 18 million euros including two million of profit-sharing. Bodmer cost 6.5 million euros," Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas said.

Good deal for both players. 16mil for two good players and Bent is going for 17mil. What a joke.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Yeah, it's a bargain for a player of his undoubted quality. These low buy-out clauses often bite the player's current club in the ass.

longrufus

Established Member
Go on ahead asa, do your stuff.

Great bit of buisness by them to be honest, they'll prob sell them on in a few years and make a hefty profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom