• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matthew Upson

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Matt Upson

Sorry no idea on how to give you link as it is in my newspaper Daily Express.
It said that Matt may go to Liverpool or Arsenal may buy him back.

Ratinho

Established Member
F**k no!!

Contrary to popular belief, he's been very average at Brum and made plenty of mistakes. Why would Wenger buy him back when he hasn't really improved?

wer

We could get Carragher if Upson moves to liverpool.
I personally think Carragher is just right for us. :D

asajoseph

Established Member
Carragher won't be going anywhere, even if 'Pool sign Upson. Hyypia (the only man in the premiership with consecutive 'y's' in his name?) might move though...

eddie_wills

Does Tony Yeboah count? i know he's not a Prem player anymore, but hes the only other consecutive Yer i can think of

I agree with the consensus on Upson - he's only a little better than Cygan, definitely would be 4th choice as things stand. Very immobile as well - Cunningham is the better player, but for some reason far less fancied

M+D

Established Member
Gallas was dropped and stripped of the club captaincy by manager Arsène Wenger following his remarkably outspoken comments about his team-mates, in November, but he did return to the team and, on Sunday, scored the winning goal against Portsmouth.

Another Arsenal defender, Philippe Senderos, is currently on loan with Milan until the end of the season and he could be joined within days by Arsenal team-mate Gallas.

Carlo Ancelotti, the Milan coach, wants an established centre-half to replace 40-year-old Paolo Maldini and 32-year-old Alessandro Nesta, who has been troubled by injuries.

Gallas, 31, has two and a half years left on his current contract but Milan would be able to match his £80,000-a-week wages and end the players’ torment in North London.

However, if Gallas leaves, Arsenal’s already limited squad would need boosting and Wenger remains an admirer of Upson, who left the club for Birmingham in 2003 and moved, four years later, to West Ham.

With Gianfranco Zola having to sell some of his prized assets to avert financial problems at Upton Park, he would find it difficult to ignore a reasonable offer and Upson could be bought for around £10m.

Wenger recently admitted that he would have 'loved’ to have kept Upson but he was keen for first-team football and accepted a move to St Andrew’s.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/4046422/AC-Milan-set-to-end-William-Gallas-hell-at-Arsenal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... senal.html</a>

Glovegun

Established Member
I'd love Upson back. He's really matured into a great centre-half, and would complement what we have already.

cloista

Hmm, the possibility of Matty Upson doing a Keown (leaving, improving, coming back)eh? Quite like that idea actually.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
West Ham admits players are up for sale.

“We must not be afraid of interest in or bids for our leading players,” Duxbury said. “Each approach will be considered in terms of fee, fitness, form and where the manager thinks the player is in his career.

“We have to consider the will of the player and whether he is committed to what we are trying to achieve.

“A bid may be evaluated by the manager as allowing him to significantly improve his team.”

If it is true, please bring that Matty back!!! :bounce

Shredder

Upson seems like another player that would be nice to have on top of what we already have, but not at the expense of, say, letting both Gallas and Touré go -- which apparently is the operating model Wenger's been using lately...

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I would prefer him over Toure on current form. But I would be very upset if Gallas leaves

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I really wouldn't be that thrilled if Upson came back. We had him, we sold him, and that should be that. I think he's solid enough, but not worth re-pursuing. If he came back and was a starter for us and did well, then it wouldn't speak volumes for our ability to develop, in particular, defensive players. Oh wait ...

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom