• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matthew Upson

Kraig

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:
Isn't Agger going for peanuts (relative to his worth)? We really should swoop for him. He's brilliant.

if he was available id have him here in a flash. top defender

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
'Pool wouldnt sell him to us... and he wants to stay at Liverpool and Benitez wants him to stay.. its just Gillette & Hicks dragging their feet about his contract extension..

i dont think he's going anywhere in January.. if no deal is done by the end of the season, he will go on the cheap (especially if he still isnt playing as much).. he will only have a year left on his current contract at that point...

number_0

Established Member
I doubt they wouldnt do business with us, we are not rivels, and it showed with the alonso talks in the summer, If we were to get him, we will probably have to pay more than what the others are paying, but i would have him here for £15m no doubt.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
go49oner said:
And you think we're not? :)

No we're not, we have been spending less money for the past 10 years than any other top four or even mid-table club. I think Arsenal is the only club in the whole premiership that has been structured so tightly when it comes to spending. if they weren't obliged to publish 1000 page hogwash every year we probably wouldn't have had any indication how Arsenal fair against the competition in each fiscal year.

transfertable.jpg

atmosphere

NIPOLOPO said:
go49oner said:
And you think we're not? :)

No we're not, we have been spending less money for the past 10 years than any other top four or even mid-table club. I think Arsenal is the only club in the whole premiership that has been structured so tightly when it comes to spending. if they weren't obliged to publish 1000 page hogwash every year we probably wouldn't have had any indication how Arsenal fair against the competition in each fiscal year.

transfertable.jpg

True, we spend less, but those figures are slightly misleading as they're a reflection of the balance sheet that takes into account player sales.

For the past 10 years we've bought low and sold high and made a lot of money in the transfer market.

Surely you should be glad of that, a self sustaining business model without the need for outside investment is surely a desireable situation to be in?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
atmosphere said:
Surely you should be glad of that, a self sustaining business model without the need for outside investment is surely a desirable situation to be in?
at the expense of the quality on the pitch? therein lies the whole problem..

and those figures arent misleading.. of course the include transfers out (how else would there ever be a negative number)

buy low and sell high? Hleb wasnt exactly sold all that much higher than we bought him for (if at all).. Bert? 3m is hardly selling high.. Flamini free - not exactly a high outgoing fee... we didnt bend anyone over in the transfer market

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
atmosphere said:
True, we spend less, but those figures are slightly misleading as they're a reflection of the balance sheet that takes into account player sales.

For the past 10 years we've bought low and sold high and made a lot of money in the transfer market.

Surely you should be glad of that, a self sustaining business model without the need for outside investment is surely a desireable situation to be in?

What am I suppose to be glad of Atmosphere? we're in a dire need of reinforcement and instead of spending few quid of the reserve money that Hill-wood stashed under his bed we're forced to watch that impudent Eboue week in, week out and be encouraged by the fact that he can't get any worse than he currently is. we're also about to miss out on one of the most prestiges competitions in Europe for the first time in more than 11 years should I be glad about that? and do you think it would matter how well our club is run when Stan the Kroenke take over and bring all his debt along with him!

atmosphere

USArsenal said:
atmosphere said:
Surely you should be glad of that, a self sustaining business model without the need for outside investment is surely a desirable situation to be in?
at the expense of the quality on the pitch? therein lies the whole problem..

and those figures arent misleading.. of course the include transfers out (how else would there ever be a negative number)

buy low and sell high? Hleb wasnt exactly sold all that much higher than we bought him for (if at all).. Bert? 3m is hardly selling high.. Flamini free - not exactly a high outgoing fee... we didnt bend anyone over in the transfer market

You do understand why we've had to work to that model for the past few years right? I think it's a testiment to Wenger's prowess that we've been able to compete at the level we have while spending less than a third of what Utd have paid and 4% of what Chelsea used to buy their titles. Plus, in that time we've built and moved to a much bigger stadium.

Would you prefer that we'd spend ridiculous sums of cash at the same time? Where would that leave us now in this current economic climate?

You've mentioned a few players who have got away on the cheap recently but the net loss of that is whatever we lost on Gilberto (£2m?) minus what we made on Hleb, cos Flamini came for free as I recall...

You know that's piss all when you look at all the other transfers where we've made money, otherwise the figures in that chart wouldn't look like that would they? Ergo, that point is moot really.

NIPOLOPO said:
atmosphere said:

What am I suppose to be glad of Atmosphere? we're in a dire need of reinforcement and instead of spending few quid of the reserve money that Hill-wood stashed under his bed we're forced to watch that impudent Eboue week in, week out and be encouraged by the fact that he can't get any worse than he currently is. we're also about to miss out on one of the most prestiges competitions in Europe for the first time in more than 11 years should I be glad about that? and do you think it would matter how well our club is run when Stan the Kroenke take over and bring all his debt along with him!

We only have the reserve money because of our frugal spending of late. You can't spend money that isn't there and we wouldn't have it unless we didn't spend. It's a bit of a catch 22, but in the long term (you have to look at 5-10 years really - as Wenger has said in an interview recently) we'll be much better off than probably every team in the league.

I think Eboue's inclusion in the team is more to do with the fact that Walcott is injured and Wenger has faith in his ability, rather that a sign that we don't want to buy anyone. Say we bought a world class RM, what would happen in a month or 2 when Walcott is fit?

Your last 2 points are ridiculous. We will not miss out on Champions League football next year as Villa will fade away and Kroenke will not take over the club as the board are still in a lock-down agreement.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I think Eboue's inclusion in the team is more to do with the fact that Walcott is injured and Wenger has faith in his ability, rather that a sign that we don't want to buy anyone. Say we bought a world class RM, what would happen in a month or 2 when Walcott is fit?

It's called competition. :wink:

Bergy_1995

Someone's gotta keep the bench warm!

Anyway... Upson. Pretty unlikely anything will happen here in my opinion.

Wenger's working on Djourou; he already has Gallas, Toure, Song - then there's Big Phil Senderos to come back, if he comes back at all. Wenger might well take another punt with him to see if he's improved (lol)

Upson, nah. Better options.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
atmosphere said:
You do understand why we've had to work to that model for the past few years right? I think it's a testiment to Wenger's prowess that we've been able to compete at the level we have while spending less than a third of what Utd have paid and 4% of what Chelsea used to buy their titles. Plus, in that time we've built and moved to a much bigger stadium.

Would you prefer that we'd spend ridiculous sums of cash at the same time? Where would that leave us now in this current economic climate?

You've mentioned a few players who have got away on the cheap recently but the net loss of that is whatever we lost on Gilberto (£2m?) minus what we made on Hleb, cause Flamini came for free as I recall...

You know that's piss all when you look at all the other transfers where we've made money, otherwise the figures in that chart wouldn't look like that would they? Ergo, that point is moot really.
we've been able to compete with what exactly? we've won nothing the past 4 year.. nothing at all.. we came closest last year and might have gone on and done it this year, but we stupidly let Hleb, Flam, Diarra and Gilberto go...

i would prefer we buy a player or 2 that are ready NOW, not ones that will be ready in 2-3 years.. surely buying a couple of ready-made players are doable for us... really, what was the point of moving into a new stadium if we cant afford to put a good enough squad on the pitch?

we've spent virtually nothing (net) over the past 5 years.. how is it that we dont have 25-30m for transfers? i mean, it's really really ridiculous if we dont.. if we are told that funds are available to Wenger for players in every transfer window, and he doesnt spend it, why dont we STILL have that money to spend?

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
USArsenal said:
we've been able to compete with what exactly? we've won nothing the past 4 year.. nothing at all.. we came closest last year and might have gone on and done it this year, but we stupidly let Hleb, Flam, Diarra and Gilberto go...

i would prefer we buy a player or 2 that are ready NOW, not ones that will be ready in 2-3 years.. surely buying a couple of ready-made players are doable for us... really, what was the point of moving into a new stadium if we cant afford to put a good enough squad on the pitch?

we've spent virtually nothing (net) over the past 5 years.. how is it that we dont have 25-30m for transfers? i mean, it's really really ridiculous if we dont.. if we are told that funds are available to Wenger for players in every transfer window, and he doesnt spend it, why dont we STILL have that money to spend?

QFTMFT, I was about to make a long post to contradict Atmospheres ridiculous logic, but as usual you summed it up perfectly in your post. wasn't the whole premise of us moving to a brand new stadium was so we could be able to compete with the so called top dogs of footballing world? what's it to me how much the club makes if the revenue is not spent in a manner that could benefit Arsenal the FOOTBALL club rather than Arsenal The Financial Group!

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom