• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matthew Upson

kamikaze80

Established Member
thats my point - they can maybe walk into our team now but so what? we'd still finish 4th. waste of money.

i also think the transition to the english league is not as hard as it used to be with all these foreign players already here. i dont have time to go through all the players but it seems to me like good players have come here from abroad recently and done pretty well fairly quickly. robinho, sagna, zaki, santa cruz, hleb, hangeland, etc. there will always be duds but that's not necessarily caused by the fact that this is england.

scytheavatar

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
thats my point - they can maybe walk into our team now but so what? we'd still finish 4th. waste of money.

At the moment we'll a lot closer to the 5th place than we are in the 1st... if we don't do something about our defense soon we're going to end up in 5th place by the end of the season. If there's a defender that can secure the 4th place for us he wouldn't be a waste of money.

Not that I support getting Upson, he's not good enough to even get the 4th place for us.

_scorpion_

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:

i also think the transition to the english league is not as hard as it used to be with all these foreign players already here. i dont have time to go through all the players but it seems to me like good players have come here from abroad recently and done pretty well fairly quickly. robinho, sagna, zaki, santa cruz, hleb, hangeland, etc. there will always be duds but that's not necessarily caused by the fact that this is england.

Thats fair enough but we don't 'seem' to have the money to buy the foreign players you think may improve our team.

And personally, I'm not sure there are any of a higher quality that are even available or willing to take a wage reduction.

Also, don't underestimate the qualities of Sidwell & Upson...they trained with Arsenal - were picked up by Wenger himself. Players do improve with more match time - particularly defensive players....look at Flamini...he had everyone believing he was **** for 3 years..

Captain

Established Member
In the opinion of any Arsenal fan who hasn't completely lost it!

Even those who think we have average players can't believe that more average players are the answer.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Again...in your opinion.

I've seen both play many times, just like Arsenal...and nobody within the first team squad can offer what these two could offer us now - as in this season.....AND be affordable from an Arsenal point of view.

Want to discuss 'average' - take a look at half our first team....not Sidwell & Upson I'm afraid as both are above what we have in terms of dealing with the EPL each week & price.

Captain

Established Member
what magic qualities can these two offer us that you have seen in the many times that you have watched them play?

Pull the other one, Sidwell is as average as they come and Upson is pedestrian. I'll tell you where there are some cheaper, better players - probably on their way home from training at Colney right now; in fact they are 'free'.

It doesn't matter anyway because neither are coming and that is the absolute correct call in regards to these two.

longrufus

Established Member
I actually really like Upson as a player, he would definately be an improvement over say Silvestre who has played quite a bit. Sure he isnt going to solve our frailties at the back, but would give us better options then we have at the minute.

Sidwell is a distinctivly average player and would in no way impove our squad.

Gurgen

Established Member
Captain said:
what magic qualities can these two offer us that you have seen in the many times that you have watched them play?

Pull the other one, Sidwell is as average as they come and Upson is pedestrian. I'll tell you where there are some cheaper, better players - probably on their way home from training at Colney right now; in fact they are 'free'.

It doesn't matter anyway because neither are coming and that is the absolute correct call in regards to these two.

Amen brother.

People are losing perspective fast.

Jameel46

Established Member
Captain said:
In the opinion of any Arsenal fan who hasn't completely lost it!

Even those who think we have average players can't believe that more average players are the answer.

actually Upson should walk straight into our team as the other CBs aren't designed to play together. a good partnership isn't about throwing the 2 'better players' together, it's about finding out what will work best. Upson as a player is average but is more of a solid defender than any of the players we have.

magic qualities aren't needed for a player who you just want to get the ball and pass it to a midfielder. Terry doesn't have magic qualities, he just does the basic stuff well, same with vidic, and what we need is a defender that does the basic stuff well.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Captain said:

Free at Coloney...your havinga laugh now :lol:

Your right about one thing - Arsène wouldnt buy these types of players and that is exactly why our defence is in the mess it is at the moment.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
WENGER'S £12M RAID FOR UPSON

By John Cross 16/01/2009

EXCLUSIVE Football Spy

Arsène Wenger is ready to admit a £9million mistake on Matthew Upson - and offer Nicklas Bendtner to take the West Ham defender back to Arsenal.

Wenger is desperate for a centre-half and midfielder in January and Upson (right) fits the bill even though it would mean an amazing U-turn. The Arsenal boss sold Upson, 29, to Birmingham for £3m in 2003 and now hard-up West Ham want at least £12m for the England defender.

Wenger, who is also "hopeful" of signing Andrei Arshavin, does not have limitless funds and may be willing to offer Danish striker Bendtner as a £5m makeweight for Upson.

Bendtner is a bit-part player at Arsenal and Wenger also has Eduardo returning from injury. The Gunners chief may therefore let him quit the club so he can strengthen his central defence, an area that has been a major concern.

West Ham have knocked back bids from Tottenham and Manchester City for Craig Bellamy and are hoping to - survive January without having to sell one of their prize assets - namely Upson, Robert Green and Scott Parker.

Upson is also reluctant to move to a club without Champions League ambitions and has been hoping that Aston Villa or Arsenal would join the hunt for his services.

A return to Arsenal for Upson would be seen as a remarkable change of heart by Wenger. But with £30m at stake for reaching the Champions League, the Emirates chief may think it's a U-turn with which he can easily live.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/01/16/wenger-s-12m-raid-for-upson-115875-21044734/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/ ... -21044734/</a>

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Crazy. I know he's English but a straight swap of Bendtner for Upson should be sufficient, not that I'm advocating that.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I don't want him, we need more quality defenders, not players who aren't going to walk into the team. Experienced and determined individuals are a must at the moment. Upson may provide that, but £12 million is ludicrous, and a swap for Bendtner is even worse. He's not better than Gallas, and is arguably better than Djourou due to the Swiss defender still being relatively unproven. The question is, whether Upson is £12 million better than Djourou? The answer is an absolute no.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
What a joke from Wenger this would be,
a few years ago he was to bad? and now he is arsenal quality? please go on with the next.

He isnt better then Gallas, otherwise Gallas seems to leave in the summer we still have Toure and Djourou we dont need Upson but a proven youngster.aka (Richards) or someone like that.

asajoseph

Established Member
Even more of a joke would be offering more for Matty Upson than we've offered so far for Andrei Arshavin.

Which is why it's obviously bollocks.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom