• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matthew Upson

Kraig

Established Member
i for one would like to see matty back at the arsenal. would improve our defense no end (someone who can defend set pieces for one!)

IBL

Established Member
I doubt Matty Upson will return if he wasnt promised regular football, it's the reason he left us in the first place.

Good defender but not top level material

Lukazan

Established Member
Matthew Upson is average and no better than the options we have now. I'd be very disappointed if Wenger was to sign this guy as a step toward sorting the defense.

dos1986

Established Member
Upson had some promise before he broke his leg in the 01/02 season.Wasn't quite the same after that and took a hell of a long time to have a proper career.He used to struggle against the more physical strikers, but there doesnt seem to any those about these days.

I dont want because he's, injury prone, mistake prone, no distribution skills at all and very very over hyped.Morgan Freeman's more mobile than him, these days as well.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
dos1986 said:
I dont want because he's, injury prone, mistake prone, no distribution skills at all and very very over hyped. Morgan Freeman's more mobile than him, these days as well.

Stupid criticism.

Morgan Freeman is more mobile than most players.

entropy13

Established Member
raidersoftheark said:
dos1986 said:
I dont want because he's, injury prone, mistake prone, no distribution skills at all and very very over hyped. Morgan Freeman's more mobile than him, these days as well.

Stupid criticism.

Morgan Freeman is more mobile than most players.

Exactly. We should sign him.

longrufus

Established Member
Wenger wanted to keep Upson though, the only reason he left was he wanted first team football, which Wenger couldnt give him at the time.

I think he is a very good defender, and a far better option at the back than Silvestre. That being said he is not the answer to our defensive frailties.

longrufus

Established Member
Its not the same difference at all, and its most certainly not like Wenger buyng Bently back, dont talk nonsense. The circumstances surronding the departures are completely different. Bentley left on bad terms with the club and has continued to badmouth Wenger and Arsenal, Upson on the other hand, left on good terms. Wenger was happy to let him go as he couldnt promise him more football given the CB's we had at the time.

You really think if Wenger thought Upson was the right man for Arsenal at the minute he wouldnt buy him as he sold him 5years ago? What difference does it really make to Wengers decision making process, absolutley none. In fact, im sure he would see many benefits of bringing someone in who already knows the systems in place and how Arsenal operate.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
"It wasn't Arsène Wenger's fault, nothing to do with him. It was me," Bentley says. "This is the thing that people don't know: I chose to leave. I had signed a five-year deal six months before I left and it got to the point where I didn't want to be 24 and only have 30 games to my name. I didn't want to be like that. I have come away and luckily enough it has worked out for me. But it had nothing to with him [Wenger]. He had a lot of faith in me. "He believed in me and always told me I was a good player.

Wenger also wanted to keep Bentley and he didn't leave on bad terms. (he may have said things after he left). Point is both got sold by Wenger and he has never bought a player he sold before. Whatever your thinking or your excuses of wanting to use someone he's worked with before is total nonsense. It will not happen. Besides Upson is not better than the lot we have now. I'd say he's a step below them.

longrufus

Established Member
I will go back and find quotes if you so wish of Bentley accusing Wenger of favouring foreign players, that he wasnt picked as he was English and that Walcott should leave if he wants to improve etc.

I have already said that I didnt think Upson was the answer to our problems, but he is a better option than some of what we have already. He got sold, so what, its not as if that is a nail in the coffin of a player wanting to come back.

number_0

Established Member
Upson?
We should be taking advatage of cash straped clubs like everton and west ham imo and Upson should be one of those players in our famous "transers In" list.

dos1986

Established Member
number_0 said:
Upson?
We should be taking advatage of cash straped clubs like everton and west ham imo and Upson should be one of those players in our famous "transers In" list.

Thats a great idea, why didnt I think of that?

Its not like we would paying for even more medicority or anything :wink:

kamikaze80

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
I think you mean Morgs is more versatile. His versatility is only matched by that of Manny Eboue.
morgan freeman would bring loads of leadership and experience to the team as well. he's been god, president of the usa, a soldier in the american civil war, etc.

no way diaby puts his ipod earphones back on when morgan gives a team talk.

kamikaze80

Established Member
dos1986 said:
number_0 said:
Upson?
Thats a great idea, why didnt I think of that?

Its not like we would paying for even more medicority or anything :wink:
we could have the cheapest midtable team in league history. upson my ass, get me some real players, ffs. even our transfer rumours suck now. we used to get linked to trezeguet (when he used to be decent), buffon, totti, robinho...

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
... Arshavin, Alonso, Touré, Given... Yeah. Those were the days. :)

Completely right about Upson, by the way. Why would anyone want him here? He's probably a stepdown in quality from Silvestre, let alone Touré, Djourou or Gallas.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom