• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Maty Ryan Joins Arsenal

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

This transfer surprised me. I spoke to Brighton fans on red cafe forum last month about why Mat Ryan is dropped and not even on the bench as I thought he’s still a PL or championship keeper quality, he doesn’t know either why. If anyone want to know little bit what’s the speculation or what’s going on, this is what his reply:

gjqSo0L.jpg

Was the Brighton fan called Jon Snow?

They think he is homesick after 7 years in Europe and 3,5 years in England, while coming to the peak of his career. :lol: Sounds plausible. Who wouldn't basically quit their career at that point, after so many years.

Sounds much more likely that Arsenal has been tapping him up since the summer.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think Ryan dropped because disagreements with the management there no way Sanchez better than him he look very shaky most times specially with ball.

drippin

I think Ryan dropped because disagreements with the management there no way Sanchez better than him he look very shaky most times specially with ball.

I read that he was dropped because of bad performances this season (he has been solid earlier, and those skills won't just disappear imo).

Disagreements could come if he didn't get new chances anymore, or Brighton wanted to force him to make a new contract by benching him.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

You have to watch the video a few times, before you actually pay attention to what's happening in it...and aren't just grooving to the music :lol:

I've literally forgotten every save in that clip bar the two penalties saves. :lol:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Matty Ryan signing came out of nowhere, I was out then all of a sudden my Arsenal app came up & said to look who we had signed, I checked & I was shocked, not that he's just an Aussie but he'll also be a solid loan for us. I'm looking forward to see how he goes with us.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Will Matty Ryan have a chance to sign with us permanently if he impresses us & he can't regain his spot in the Brighton team?

Whether there is an option to buy at the end of the loan or if we choose to sign him permanently & he agrees to sign with us for next year?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Will Matty Ryan have a chance to sign with us permanently if he impresses us & he can't regain his spot in the Brighton team?

Whether there is an option to buy at the end of the loan or if we choose to sign him permanently & he agrees to sign with us for next year?
His time with Brighton all but over he got lot of disagreements with management i think we'll sign him permanently next summer won't cost much he'll have only 1 year left

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

His time with Brighton all but over he got lot of disagreements with management i think we'll sign him permanently next summer won't cost much he'll have only 1 year left
Graham Potter must be crazy, Ryan was going so well for them such a great job & all of a sudden just dropped him out of nowhere. If he signs with us permanently after the loan it will be pretty good especially if he gives Leno a good challenge as our #1 keeper. If he is off contract end of the year & we get him on a free transfer thay will be even better.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Now Mikel sh*t the bed yet again this guy won't even play a game for us. :lol:

Doubt he starts Europa given how important it is for us now.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Was hoping he'd get a start today and Leno would get a rest. Disappointing tbh.

drippin

Was hoping he'd get a start today and Leno would get a rest. Disappointing tbh.

No way Arteta starts such a new acquisition with so little time to adjust to tactics and team-mates.

Arteta clearly sees that Leno has never been injury-prone, and that GK's aren't the ones to pick up injuries easily. That's quite rare, and they don't physically put themselves to the limit in matches in similar way as outfield players.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

No way Arteta starts such a new acquisition with so little time to adjust to tactics and team-mates.

Arteta clearly sees that Leno has never been injury-prone, and that GK's aren't the ones to pick up injuries easily. That's quite rare, and they don't physically put themselves to the limit in matches in similar way as outfield players.
It's understandable he didn't get the start but I feel like this position is the only one as plug and play, precisely also because of your last point. If Leno was to take a knock in the FA cup 4th round (thankfully he didn't) we'd look like right idiots.

drippin

It's understandable he didn't get the start but I feel like this position is the only one as plug and play, precisely also because of your last point. If Leno was to take a knock in the FA cup 4th round (thankfully he didn't) we'd look like right idiots.

I agree, but it was just too fast. If we had someone like Ryan for longer, I would also play him in the not-so-important cup games.

But in the most important ones I would still likely play the 1st goalie (or in better form one), as injuries are so rare to goalies.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Do not get this signing. If it was a non loan fair enough but is he really going to be playing pl for us? Europa league also cannot see him featured.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Athletic article on Maty Ryan's signing.

Holders Arsenal’s FA Cup fourth-round loss to Southampton saw two goalkeepers, Alex Runarsson and Mat Ryan, named among their nine substitutes.

It was unusual but there was ultimately a straightforward enough explanation: having joined the club on Friday, Ryan was brought along to help integrate him with the squad. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had to pull out of the match to deal with a personal matter, so the on-loan Brighton keeper took the vacant spot on the bench.

From one perspective, Runarsson and Ryan make for curious signings. In Arsenal Data Analytics, formerly Stat DNA, the club have access to their own analytics team to consult in the recruitment process. One can only assume they were not heavily involved in the pursuits of Runarsson or Ryan: both have been signed despite poor underlying statistics.

When Arsenal signed Runarsson from French club Dijon in September, he had the worst save success rate of all goalkeepers with more than 20 Ligue 1 appearances since the start of the 2018-19 season (57.8 per cent). Ryan holds the dubious distinction of having the lowest rate for that same metric (47.1 per cent) in the Premier League this season. The Australia international’s form was poor enough for him to lose his place in the Brighton side, and was not a one-off — his “goals prevented” numbers have been sub-par since 2017-18.

image-2-1-1.png

Sometimes, of course, signings are made for other reasons: expedience, experience, affordability. Arsenal’s intention remains to address the goalkeeping situation properly in the summer — arguably, it is also their obligation.

Arsenal entered this winter window knowing they needed to look at the position, having had unfinished business left over from the summer one. The decision to sell Emi Martinez, now at Aston Villa, was made during pre-season — even when the Argentinian started in the Community Shield in August, over a month before deadline day, his exit was all-but decided.

Goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana was involved heavily in the process to identify a replacement. He chose his protege David Raya, a player he personally scouted before bringing him to the 25-year-old’s current club, Championship promotion candidates Brentford. Crucially, Raya’s time in the Blackburn Rovers academy from 2012-14 meant that, like Martinez, he qualifies as a homegrown player, so would have helped Arsenal manage an unwieldy squad registration situation.

Brentford, however, did not need to sell. They had already decided to allow star forwards Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma to leave in the summer window and felt the departure of another key player from the side that got to last season’s play-off final would limit their potential to push for promotion again this time. After Arsenal had multiple bids rejected, Raya ended up signing a new contract at Brentford in October, albeit with a minimum fee release clause that comes into action this summer.

So Arsenal instead proceeded with a deal for seven-cap Iceland international Runarsson — another former Cana protege. Matt Macey, who had been minded to leave the club and pursue first-team football, was persuaded to stay on as back-up for Bernd Leno, and that was the trio Arsenal began the season with.

Neither Runarsson nor Macey were serious challengers for Leno’s starting position. That has been apparent in Mikel Arteta’s reluctance to rotate his goalkeepers: Leno’s start against Southampton on Saturday was his sixth appearance in the domestic cups and Europa League this season. Runarsson played in four European games and one Carabao Cup tie, while Macey saw no game action at all.

When the January window came around, contact resumed with Raya and Brentford. In the summer, Arteta and Cana had spoken about how they saw Arsenal’s goalkeepers evolving — a conscious decision was made to recruit players who were comfortable sweeping behind a high line, and capable in possession. Raya was still the ideal target but Brentford remained intransigent. Given Runarsson’s disappointing performances, it’s fair to question whether Cana should be allowed to choose again.

Arsenal also investigated the possibility of a move for former England Under-21 international Freddie Woodman. The 23-year-old, currently on loan from Newcastle United to Brentford’s promotion rivals Swansea City, has been tracked by the club over a long period. Woodman is enjoying an excellent season at the Liberty Stadium, keeping 14 clean sheets in 23 Championship games. Newcastle have two relatively established first-team goalkeepers in Martin Dubravka and Karl Darlow, so may be tempted to cash in on their young colleague.

Newcastle had a recall clause for Woodman that expired early this month and Arsenal’s interest ultimately came too late. Once that clause elapsed, the possibility of a mid-season move to the Emirates dwindled. Woodman will now see out the season in Wales, after which the situation will be reassessed.

With Macey permitted to join Hibernian of the Scottish top flight on loan two weeks ago, Ryan, then, offered a short-term solution.

Yes, his form this season has been disappointing, but if he is required to step in, then at least he can call upon Premier League experience.

Ryan’s commitment to this challenge is not in doubt: Arsenal are the club he woke up in the middle of the night to watch as a kid in his native New South Wales.

“There’s still an aura of surrealness to it all, to be honest,” he told the club’s official website. “I’ve come here under the circumstances where Bernd has obviously done a great job for the club and he’s a very top-quality goalkeeper. But I believe also that I’ve shown that in my career until now, and I’m looking to come in here and push him, and him push me. We’ll try to get the best out of one another and to improve as individuals.”

Ryan, 28, does not qualify for homegrown status, so will take the place of Sead Kolasinac in Arsenal’s registered squad now the Bosnian has returned to Germany’s Schalke on loan. Arsenal hope to complete the signing of Norwegian playmaker Martin Ødegaard on loan from Real Madrid next week but would need to de-register one of their 17 non-homegrown players to make him eligible to play. Arsenal are open to sending Runarsson out on loan too — they have faith in academy goalkeepers Karl Hein, 18, and Arthur Okonkwo, 19, to provide cover — but as yet, there is no concrete interest in the 25-year-old.

With Leno remaining the undisputed No 1 it is imperative that, unlike last season, he stays fit.

Perhaps that’s the only positive to be drawn from Arsenal’s disappointing FA Cup exit: it’s at least one fewer game the German has to play.

The Athletic says he's not homegrown, we'll definitely need to remove someone foreign from our squad to bring in Ødegaard

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Brighton pushing for Sergio Romero. Potter was obviously chatting **** and it's clear him and Ryan had a falling out.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom