<

Merci Arsène

Discussion in 'Arsenal History' started by kraphtous, Apr 20, 2018.

1. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

It's complicated .

Trilly and Mark Tobias like this.
  2. Plutarch

Plutarch Well-Known Member

Arsène Wenger has been a fantastic manager and I'm going to miss him being at Arsenal.

3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

That is exactly how I responded and then got all defensive and started using lines only Trax has used in the last year....

4. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James Trusted

I wanted him to go for a while now but it feels weird. Gave me butterflies in my stomach when I saw the news.

5. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

:lol:

Trilly likes this.
  6. kraphtous

kraphtous Raul Stanllehi

Hopefully he will not retire and try managing another club/country.

It would grand to see him win the World Cup even if it means France winning it.

7. Lakersgooner24

Lakersgooner24 Well-Known Member

Although I’ve, like most, been critical of his aptitude as manager in recent times, and knew this day was going to come, I still don’t know whether to feel happy or sad. I suppose you call this bittersweet.

I assume for much of the younger folk here, like myself, Wenger’s been the only manager we’ve seen lead us onto the football pitch, and although there have been ups and downs, he’s been an institution who was at the forefront of our transition into becoming a world reknown football club.

It’s truly unfortunate it’s come to this, but I’d like to thank him for his commitment to the club the past 22 years and for bringing us many great memories. Merci et au revoir.

Going forward, it’s absolutely crucial and imperative we win the Europa League so we can give the incoming manager all the help and advantages possible to lead us into a successful new era. Also, it’d be shameful for a manager of Wenger’s standing, not to have a European trophy.

8. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

Build a statue for the man and name a stand after him.

Then break out the Champagne!!

9. Özillionaire

Özillionaire Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

This is one of the greatest days in the club's history - up there with the day we hired him.

And that, in essence, is the story of Arsène Wenger.

10. fransgooner

fransgooner Well-Known Member

I'm not crying! You are!

:(

We've all talked about it at one point but I for myself don't think I was ever ready mentally or emotionally for when it would happen, especially considering how sudden it was. Since day 1 of supporting Arsenal it's been Arsène. This will take a while to sink in :(

11. Hope

Hope Less

Tears

Thank you Arsène :(

12. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

13. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

It was time to go, but it is incredibly sad. To watch someone who loves the club so much and was so desperate to turn things around have to leave on a relative low was not what I wanted, or surely any real Arsenal fan.
    He made the club glamorous. He made us a lot more attractive. I am 34, and when I first supported Arsenal we were a robust unit under George Graham. We played decent stuff, had wrighty, parlour and Adams to smile about, but in all honesty Wenger lit a creative fire under this club and made the world watch us. Suddenly on my family holidays in Spain and Portugal it was easy to buy the Arsenal shirt in pre-season in some pretty obscure places. We started picking up players I had only bought in Championship manager (Overmars, Petit, later Henry who i was first excited by for Monaco vs United in the champions league.)
    I can fully understand the mentality of a guy that has the sheer will to persist and be convinced he can turn around something he is so committed to. For that reason I find this deeply sad.
    Hopefully, we can move forward from this position. But hope really is the key word.
    I can't identify with those celebrating and who "can't stop smiling", because we are really leaping from underperformance (relative to the managers own previous results) to a complete unknown. It is fact that today the person who loves the club most is the guy who resigned. I think it is reasonable to take heart from our recent signings, and the infrastructure we have put in place, but our club is very much in the hands of the businessmen now, and nobody else who cares any deeper.

Anyway, change is always necessary, and you have to be hopeful, but this is by no means a day to celebrate. Really hope to see him in another role that fulfils his football appetite.

14. Original_AAA

Original_AAA Active Member

My first reaction was rather jubilant, but now I must admit I feel more grateful for everything.

Thank you for steping down now so that the mood around the club will change for the better before a crucial run in. Thank you for the endless hours of entertainment. Thank you for the Invincibles. Thank you for the way you changed modern football. Thank you for all you have done for the club.

15. Rimaal

All the tears around here are very touching, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm celebrating!

say yes and Flying Okapis like this.
  16. Lady_Gooner

Lady_Gooner That's Mrs. Ramsey to you buster!

“To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

"My love and support for ever.”

Awww

17. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Also thanks for using that Wenger pulling game one last time to buy Auba and have Mesut sign. I see you, boss, true gent. :drool:

18. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

Penny for Ozils thoughts. :lol:

Just signed away his last few years at a mid-table club without his guy.

Got 'van Persied'.

19. Rimaal

20. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

The emirates better be packed for every game from now on. This man deserves a send off and a European trophy!