• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

In general, the sensible view is the Arsenal manager in. Whoever he or she might be. Rioch was a dinosaur, and Emery had difficult task taking over after our most important manager since Chapman.

It's ridiculous that we have a thread questioning whether Graham is an Arsenal legend. If Graham isn't, then the bar is set so high that you have to wonder who is.

I don't think we'll see a manager as successful, or as important, for Arsenal, in my lifetime as Arsène Wenger was. He'll be the yardstick every other manager at this club will be measured against.

I hope that yardstick will be an inspiration for every manager coming in, and I hope they'll be successful, whoever they might be.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
In general, the sensible view is the Arsenal manager in. Whoever he or she might be. Rioch was a dinosaur, and Emery had difficult task taking over after our most important manager since Chapman.

It's ridiculous that we have a thread questioning whether Graham is an Arsenal legend. If Graham isn't, then the bar is set so high that you have to wonder who is.

I don't think we'll see a manager as successful, or as important, for Arsenal, in my lifetime as Arsène Wenger was. He'll be the yardstick every other manager at this club will be measured against.

I hope that yardstick will be an inspiration for every manager coming in, and I hope they'll be successful, whoever they might be.

Yeah, Arsène and Chapman are at a different level but Graham has to be in the legend bracket.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Yep that’s what €850m and great fan support can do to a team and manager. Imagine that?
‘Arsène should be able to beat Ferguson, even if he was out spent by a factor of 10 over their competitive years’ fan club.

Well you got your wish and we’ve had six years of no title, including 2 mid table finishes and a guy who’s had blank cheques to spend, but this time you’re happy because you‘ve got North London Forever to sing in the shower even if the football is dull.

As far as I can tell Arteta has spent around £600m (€700m), and when you consider the squad he inherited was miles behind the likes of Chelsea, ManUre, City, Liverpool etc. investment-wise, to have caught up to them with this net spend (far lower than that of Chelsea and ManUre) is at least commendable - not sure why everyone is so buttpained about it. As fans we were asking for this for years, have gotten it and are now competitive! To pretend its just a given that you buy players and your squad challenges City is laughable and we have two fantastic examples in our league. The 'great fan support' has also been radically improved under Arteta from the toxic atmosphere when he first joined, something I'm sure will just be discounted by his detractors.

re: Wenger vs Ferguson on net spend, it appears to me to be much closer than you'd have everyone believe, although admittedly Wenger's spending picked up in his latter years with the purchases of Lacazette, Aubamayeng etc. he was also able to spend before the stadium move and frequently bought good players for good money before this and also after this. Ferguson didn't spend an awful lot until the EPL years (94 onwards really) and so his first 8 years he wasn't spending tons.

Wenger is one of the greatest managers of all time and tbh I'm not sure why he's being used as a stick to beat Arteta with, you can rate Arteta and consider Wenger to be an all-time great manager at the same time, and I happen to do so.

The Arsenal/ManUre comparison is an interesting one at the same time, both had legendary, long standing successful managers and have spent big money since those men moved on, and you'd have to say since Ferguson/Wenger have retired, we've looked much closer to winning the league than they have, despite ManUre's 2 2nd place finishes they were miles off City in first both times, we were much closer last season.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Nice read that, good to see how Arsène (rightly) took the pressure of young players, can see why so many developed so well here.

Enjoyed this part very much though...

"People often ask me what the difference was between that Arsenal team (The Invincibles) and later, when we moved to the Emirates, and when I became a starter. It is very difficult to explain to people who never played football. It is not that they will never know, more that I need to explain it in a way that is simple to understand."

... thank God big brain Gael is here to explain to us simpletons how a team with prime Henry, Vieira, Pires, Campbell, Ljungberg etc in it, is better than a team with a bunch of youngsters in it...as I could geniunely never figure it out, tbh...

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

My God, I ****ing got annoyed with Speed watching that.

Wenger has an elite level of patience.

The way he’s moving is ridiculous 😭

I think Arsène figured out quickly that there’s something up with the guy. There’s a point when he’s sitting beside him on the bench and it gets very awkward.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
That guy definitely wanted some nibbles from Arsène in that vid, the little ****...Wenger too classy for that.

Imagine of all the players/legends you could have asked Arsène about, and you ask about Adebayor ffs 🤣

ASAP Berg

Established Member
With Arsène, my respect for him transcends football. I just love how much he cared about the young men he mentored at Arsenal, how much he thought through all his actions.

Maybe his loyalty to certain players was a bit of his undoing by the end. I feel he let certain players leave on their terms because he had care for them.

IPlayers like Hleb, Alexis, RVP, Cesc, Nasri, Toure, Adebayor, Clichy, Song, given so much but all chose to leave Arsène.

I mean Hleb, Cesc, Song, Nasri, that's an entire prime age midfield gone to Barca and City!

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001
Top Bottom