• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

logic DC

they is nothing Ronaldo does that messi is not exceptional at, messi is the better passer, dribbler, more creative, a born winner like Ronaldo, when it comes to who is a better footballer, all around better at football it is messi. this is not even debatable

Rosso

AM's Resident United Fan
Naturally, Messi will have the edge on a lot of football categories. However Cristiano beats him on mentality and that is why he's my favorite. 10 goals in the QF, Semi and Final. A man for the big stage. Meanwhile Messi was missing sitters left right and centre vs Juve. The difference.
Ah come on did you see what Messi did in the Classico a few weeks ago? He has been badly let down by the Barca hierarchy as they let standards slip and brought in dross like Denis Suarez, Andre Gomes, Lucas Digne etc

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Ah come on did you see what Messi did in the Classico a few weeks ago? He has been badly let down by the Barca hierarchy as they let standards slip and brought in dross like Denis Suarez, Andre Gomes, Lucas Digne etc

Yeah,that was a top performance from Messi.Ronaldo was just opposite,missed few chances and was almost invisible whole match.I would say that Messi in most cases had main word in EL Clasico,even in times when Real was better team and in better shape.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

:D

I'm biased as **** tho.

BobP

Memri Fan

Loved that goal. Reaction of the Madrid players was almost like "FFS, it's happened again".

Lionel Messi, for his ability to elevate those around him. Cristiano Ronaldo is an absolute killer, but he doesn't really elevate his teammates the way Messi does. Nowhere near the playmaker.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Ronaldo scores goals. Messi scores more goals and is the best playmaker in the world. Can't be that difficult to make a decision, no?

I find people rating Ronaldo above Messi generally tend to be more influenced by emotional bias, falling for his flash and recent big moments.

Ronaldo is a bigger star but Messi is a better footballer.

Stacking CL trophies, Stacking Ballons, winning Europe Tourno with friggin Portugal, winning league this year...

But yeah people are just letting emotions get into their way if they dare to consider Ronaldo better than the tax fraud.

Messi scores more, Messi is better playmaker. Hence better than Ronaldo. FFS... Of course you score more and make better plays when you play with Suarez and Neymar in attack. Ronaldo plays with Benzema... :lol::lol:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I tend to value big game players. Ronaldo is a better big game player than Messi. I'm certainly not crying poverty over the teams Ronaldo has played in but Messi has played in better Barca teams for most of the time they've been in Spain and Ronaldo has PROVEN he can do it in a league without the likes of f*cking Grenada where even stars get kicked to shreds against the likes of Stoke. Messi is fantastic and probably more naturally talented but Ronaldo is a machine who has showed up in the biggest moments more often than not. For Messi to still be without any trophies for Argentina with all of the talent they've got is a mark against him. It just is. He's got a better team around him than Ronaldo does at the international level too and still he's come up empty in spite of having more opportunities than Ronaldo to win one. People also ignore Ronaldo being over 2 years older like that's not a factor.

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
. For Messi to still be without any trophies for Argentina with all of the talent they've got is a mark against him. It just is. He's got a better team around him than Ronaldo does at the international level too and still he's come up empty in spite of having more opportunities than Ronaldo to win one. People also ignore Ronaldo being over 2 years older like that's not a factor. He's

International football is different animal.Players usually perfrom worse than in clubs because there is no too much chemistry in the teams and you can always find some quite **** players in the squad.Why England never done something good in international stages with Gerrard,Rooney,Lampard,Rio etc ? Messi made difference in WC 2014,while other players didn't play on their usual level.Portugal isn't that bad team tbh,they had some class players since Ronaldo is in the team.Both teams have some average players in some positions.

Wilshere1010

Both had their great spells in the game.We should enjoy watch them until they retire.And everyone has their own favourite,so we can't be subjective in analysis.
Yeah when Messi had Xavi and Iniesta in their prime he was clearly ahead. Now its Ronaldo who has the better all around team and the best midfield, makes a big difference. Messi is the more talented footballer but its impossible to really stop Ronaldo from scoring, he can score any type of goal. I still got Messi ahead overall though

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Yeah when Messi had Xavi and Iniesta in their prime he was clearly ahead. Now its Ronaldo who has the better all around team and the best midfield, makes a big difference. Messi is the more talented footballer but its impossible to really stop Ronaldo from scoring, he can score any type of goal. I still got Messi ahead overall though

Agree.Messi plays on different position now,Ronaldo is closer to goal.But also teams made them little bit better for sure.Messi had some good spells since Xavi and Iniesta didn't play on their usual level,most in 2013 and 2015.Real is now better team than Barca,so it's maybe different with Ronaldo now.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
International football is different animal.Players usually perfrom worse than in clubs because there is no too much chemistry in the teams and you can always find some quite **** players in the squad.Why England never done something good in international stages with Gerrard,Rooney,Lampard,Rio etc ? Messi made difference in WC 2014,while other players didn't play on their usual level.Portugal isn't that bad team tbh,they had some class players since Ronaldo is in the team.Both teams have some average players in some positions.
International football is half of a legacy. Do most people regard Pele and Maradona as the 2 greatest players of all time because of what they did at Santos and Napoli or are their exploits for their national teams in play? Nobody would put Maradona at or above Pele's level without the 86 World Cup. Other players not performing to their usual level didn't make Messi miss that penalty in the Copa America final now did they? Now as far as trying to make any suggestion that the Portugal and Argentina squads are comparable in talent? Stop it. Over the last 6-8 years Pepe is probably the only player outside of Ronaldo that would make it into the Argentina XI. How is that comparable? Who has Ronaldo had in that time period that's anywhere near Aguero, DiMaria, Tevez or Higuain? I'll wait. Whether you want to talk about club or country Ronaldo has done basically just as much almost always with less around him than Messi and he's done it in a league that Messi likely will never prove he can play in. If Messi can win a trophy with Argentina then the pendulum shifts again but right now advantage Ronaldo IMO.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
International football is half of a legacy. Do most people regard Pele and Maradona as the 2 greatest players of all time because of what they did at Santos and Napoli or are their exploits for their national teams in play? Nobody would put Maradona at or above Pele's level without the 86 World Cup. Other players not performing to their usual level didn't make Messi miss that penalty in the Copa America final now did they? Now as far as trying to make any suggestion that the Portugal and Argentina squads are comparable in talent? Stop it. Over the last 6-8 years Pepe is probably the only player outside of Ronaldo that would make it into the Argentina XI. How is that comparable? Who has Ronaldo had in that time period that's anywhere near Aguero, DiMaria, Tevez or Higuain? I'll wait. Whether you want to talk about club or country Ronaldo has done basically just as much almost always with less around him than Messi and he's done it in a league that Messi likely will never prove he can play in. If Messi can win a trophy with Argentina then the pendulum shifts again but right now advantage Ronaldo IMO.

You miss the point.I didn't say that international football isn't important or so,i rate WC more than any other competition in football,but i say that some players don't play on their usual level beacuse there are some **** players in the squad,bad manager,no understanding etc.Spain was dominant in that period from 2008 to 2014 just because the most players had quality and played for Barca and Real,that's big advantage.You forget that Ronaldo also played with players like Deco,Figo,Pauleta.You would say now that he was young and wasn't top player like now probably.I say that Argentina has better squad,but some players are average.Just look Argentina's defence,no real quality.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Why is it people keep calling Ronaldo a better goal scorer now when Messi has 12 more goals than him this season? :lol: He even has 11 goals in 9 CL games this season, Ronaldo 12 in 13. He has outperformed him in every competition. The recency bias is off the ****ing charts in here.

I will never understand this debate, honestly. It's to the point where, as snobbish as it sounds, I'd argue that if you think Ronaldo is better than Messi, you don't know much about football and are simply swayed by pomp and marketing.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom