• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
The simple fact is, we are having creativity problems. Pepe was practically playing number 10 for large chunks of this game, and that's really not what we are aiming for.

We have a better chance of top four when using Özil in games we are struggling to find a final ball. It beggars belief that just noticing that makes you a "fan boy", what are we, 12?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Hahaha all the Özil lovers look for any excuse to kiss his ass. How many times has Özil been invisible in games like this? What you think he's magically going to create in this match?

He'd be marked out the game, he'd have his back to goal all the time, he'd have to drop all the way into our half for possession. Seriously learn football ffs and stop being biased.

Our issues aren't because Özil isnt playing you silly fanboys, its because of the poor tactics of the manager. He's playing a 4231 instead of a 433 and playing 3 CM's.... change to a 433 and stop putting square pegs in round holes.

I agree Özil should be in the squad but pretending him not starting is the issue is pathetic.

Özil is done I reckon, it's unfortunate but we need to move on from him...Guendozi-Lucas-Joe in the middle, Pepe-Laca-Auba should be what we go for...Laca as a kind of false nine dropping deep allowing the wingers to come inside, with a nice mix in midfield...it's not perfect, would like to see if it works though

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The simple fact is, we are having creativity problems. Pepe was practically playing number 10 for large chunks of this game, and that's really not what we are aiming for.

We have a better chance of top four when using Özil in games we are struggling to find a final ball. It beggars belief that just noticing that makes you a "fan boy", what are we, 12?
We weren't struggling to find the final ball. We were struggling to get out our half with meaningful possession, how is Özil going to change that? Özil has made a name for himself at dissapearing in these types of games. People have selective memories they really do.

The only potential impact Özil would have made is when they were parking the bus and we had a lot of the ball in the last 15, as I previously said he should certainly be in our squad because he could put in a good ball in that situation.

But who's to say that we wouldn't have been even worse with Özil until that stage? When the guy doesnt play you'd think we're missing an elite player the way some people go about him, but when we lose with him they blame the system and the manager. As I said earlier, Özil isnt good enough to consistently start here in the EPL, and Emery isnt good enough to be our manager. They both are poor for what is expected of them.

Last edited:

elemoo

Its a dumb question, lemme just pull up the calendar and find out for you the last time Özil started and was invisible..

He's a home game player these days. He can not hack the intensity of the Premier League especially in rough and tumble games like this.

You insisting on me answering the question somebody else asked shows you have nothing of note to say anyway

lol.... still didn't answer the question though... and maybe it's bcos you can't (you said it was weird and im not sure anyone is willing to help simplify it further for you) and that's ok; the point being, no matter how Özil has played in previous years or how much he isn't worth his wages, like with any quality player you can get back to form with gametime, and so far THIS SEASON, he has provided better creativity, keeps the ball better and has had better use of the ball to link defense and attackthan any of his replacements?Auba and Laca are having to create everything for themselves atm.

Would you agree? (apologies in advance if this question seems too 'weird' for you).

Ps i happen to think Özil has been in decline for several years now but he's still levels ahead of the other options... i.e, I'd take Mesut at 50% over Lucas for the #10 spot

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Emery lovers hanging out in the Özil thread, trying to cover their boys ass :lol::lol::lol:
Impartial people can see the issues with both sides, but whatever I'm done debating with brick walls on this thread. Thankfully Özil wont be an Arsenal player soon, and neither will Emery be managing Arsenal if this spineless football continues.

I put my club first, I dont have this weird attachment to a washed up player who has lost interest in football. The guy walks off in the EL final when subbed... how do people rate him after that. If you haven't taken the hints that Mertesacker and Raul have dropped in recent weeks/months then so be it.

Pepes blue pill

Impartial people can see the issues with both sides, but whatever I'm done debating with brick walls on this thread. Thankfully Özil wont be an Arsenal player soon, and neither will Emery be managing Arsenal if this spineless football continues.

I put my club first, I dont have this weird attachment to a washed up player who has lost interest in football. The guy walks off in the EL final when subbed... how do people rate him after that. If you haven't taken the hints that Mertesacker and Raul have dropped in recent weeks/months then so be it.

:lol::lol::lol: I have said im happy for Özil to go before, however, right now, he should at least be on the bench, the one thing that wont have declined will be his movement which has always be world class, might still lose but at least it will be slightly more attractive, werent even pissed that we lost to day was pissed we played horrific football yet again....thursday nights are now our only good games

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It’s not that Özil deserves to start every game or that he’s our best player but what are the players who are starting in his place doing?

Can anyone state with a straight face what exactly it is that we gain by dropping him?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It’s not that Özil deserves to start every game or that he’s our best player but what are the players who are starting in his place doing?

Can anyone state with a straight face what exactly it is that we gain by dropping him?

At some point Emery is going to panic and play him , same as last year .By that stage Özil wouuld have completely lost any semblance of match sharpness .

Last edited:

samshere

Why so serieuse?
He's ideal for teams that sit back with 10 men behind the ball. He should at least be on the bench so that he could be brought on in the second half. If it was him instead of a Real Madrid loanee coming on, then the match would've been different.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He's ideal for teams that sit back with 10 men behind the ball. He should at least be on the bench so that he could be brought on in the second half. If it was him instead of a Real Madrid loanee coming on, then the match would've been different.
He proved countless times that he doesn't make a difference in games like this. Subs were spot on but it didn't work out for us. Sometimes it's not enough to change things only for the last 15 min.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
He proved countless times that he doesn't make a difference in games like this. Subs were spot on but it didn't work out for us. Sometimes it's not enough to change things only for the last 15 min.
He should've been given 45minutes then. Did you really think that performance from Ceballos was good? He couldn't even finish the chance Saka set up for him. Bottom line is that if I have to see a player try and fail then I'd much rather it be an Arsenal player than a real madrid loanee.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He should've been given 45minutes then. Did you really think that performance from Ceballos was good? He couldn't even finish the chance Saka set up for him. Bottom line is that if I have to see a player try and fail then I'd much rather it be an Arsenal player than a real madrid loanee.
Ceballos looks very busy but there’s little substance. He’s the kind of player that would thrive of playing of Özil. He’s getting the ball in areas where he cannot be dangerous.

Pepes blue pill

Özil and cebellos should both be in the team, let try and keep the bloody ball for once, bring back wenger ball, emery ball is soul destroying, who wants to watch football where you just let the other team have the ball

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Should've subbed Ceballos on for Xhaka and dropped Willock deeper.
We weren't struggling to find the final ball. We were struggling to get out our half with meaningful possession, how is Özil going to change that? Özil has made a name for himself at dissapearing in these types of games. People have selective memories they really do.
I think we were struggling with both. Guendouzi and Xhaka weren't able to provide anything in the build up, but they weren't helped by the fact that they could not pass it to anyone in an attacking position. Willock is better when he doesn't have his back to the goal looking for spaces, he's not able to fulfill that role. Özil, potentially, is. I think it's worth a shot to try it with Özil again. At least he let's our game flow more even if he's quite anonymous himself. It's a conondrum though, I don't know what's going on with his situation. If he can't be bothered, he won't be any help either, but I can't judge that from here. What's going on with Smith-Rowe, is he injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom