• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I’d swap Özil for Ramsey.

To be honest I could see Özil have a role to play for us. Even if just an option from the bench. Arteta doesn’t see it that way, though, so we should get rid.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Stop selling yourselves dreams. Özil isn’t leaving and neither would I if I was in his situation.

We f*cked up by offering him that new contract and Özil is taking advantage of it. Best scenario for Özil is to see out his contract here and sign up in the MLS once he’s done.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

This is kind of similar to when Utd had Wayne Rooney towards the end of his Utd career and he looked a shadow of his former self but still wanted to play.

Utd done want big clubs do and took a hit financially but they just wanted him gone since he was finished.

zilfy

Stop selling yourselves dreams. Özil isn’t leaving and neither would I if I was in his situation.
Why wouldn't you though? You're a human being I suspect?

What do humans like even more than money? Respect. Admiration. Belonging.

If Özil stays and rides the bench all season, the whole of London (and the world) will know that he's nothing but a blood sucking vampire, feeding off the club while slowly killing its opportunity to thrive. He might make another 17 mil but he will totally destroy what's left of his already fragile reputation.

Am I being too optimistic in assuming he will have enough self-respect to choose not to be a vampire?

MikeVinna

Established Member
What does “we should get rid” mean?

Surely it isn’t impossible to offload players on huge contracts that aren’t contributing anymore? Other clubs have done it so why can’t we? If he doesnt have a role to play we should be ruthless and push him out. And not come up with this ‘he needs to work harder’ or ‘lacks fitness’ crap.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Surely it isn’t impossible to offload players on huge contracts that aren’t contributing anymore? Other clubs have done it so why can’t we? If he doesnt have a role to play we should be ruthless and push him out. And not come up with this ‘he needs to work harder’ or ‘lacks fitness’ crap.

Tbf other clubs struggle with this too. Madrid can't shift Bale and James Rodriguez, Barca can't shift Coutinho, Utd can't shift Alexis. It's not just Arsenal, if you have an older player on a huge contract who isn't performing very well then you're gonna struggle to shift him.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Tbf other clubs struggle with this too. Madrid can't shift Bale and James Rodriguez, Barca can't shift Coutinho, Utd can't shift Alexis. It's not just Arsenal, if you have an older player on a huge contract who isn't performing very well then you're gonna struggle to shift him.
they traditionally went to the MLS or China to die, or to British teams in lower divisions, but player power has given these has-beens inflated egos, and they won't accept their inevitable decline

Rooney has been something of an exception and is to be commended for it

GDeep™

League is very weak
they traditionally went to the MLS or China to die, or to British teams in lower divisions, but player power has given these has-beens inflated egos, and they won't accept their inevitable decline

Rooney has been something of an exception and is to be commended for it
When their contracts end, they do what you say. When Arsenal still owe you 12M, you’re not going to leave.

Just like Bale isn’t leaving his massive Real contract even though they have tried to humiliate him. This is a guy who massively contributed to 3 CL’s in a row.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Kind of think he might move this summer because of money. He can probably get a pretty good package from us & a better / longer deal at another club now compared to next summer when 32 pushing 33.

GDeep™

League is very weak
If Özil was willing, would you guys pay off half of his remaining money to show him out the door?
The club won’t do it. Of course Özil will take it, he can take the money from us and then go look for a contract elsewhere as he’ll be a free agent. Nice cash grab for him personally.

Clubs rarely pay off like this though. Sets a bad precedent too, looks soft.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If Özil was willing, would you guys pay off half of his remaining money to show him out the door?

Yes. Think it's more ruthless then paying half of his salary to send him on loan, but slightly less ruthless then letting him rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom