• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Mesut's last big game, Liverpool at home

He lost the ball a few times but I see a player that worked hard and created a load of chances. That backheel in the air to Lacazette was honestly something else. Where is that weak player, the guy that hides in big games? But this just goes ignored, why, he is our own damn player! One of our captains, why does he get treated so unfairly? He does not play every game the best and he's injured more often than I would like but why do you guys go over the top and make him out to be here only for the money, that he doesn't fit? A Mesut in the form he was against Liverpool would have probably put the ball on a plate for Auba 4 times in the first half against Sp**s. I honestly am happy that we have him, I think he's our most talented player and he will force games our way. Everyone gets a new chance but Mesut, because he gets paid so much, or something else? That LGBT thing is still stuck in my head, you'd never say that if Auba was unavailable. Hope he's back soon.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Many players have stated that Mesut is one of the best they've played with. I'm sure these rumours are just that: rumours.

People tend to overreact when he signed the extension or when he murdered Leicester. Now they are overreacting again.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

He probably would have had a good game of he played, does well when the rest of the team is fired up.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Mesut's last big game, Liverpool at home

He lost the ball a few times but I see a player that worked hard and created a load of chances. That backheel in the air to Lacazette was honestly something else. Where is that weak player, the guy that hides in big games? But this just goes ignored, why, he is our own damn player! One of our captains, why does he get treated so unfairly? He does not play every game the best and he's injured more often than I would like but why do you guys go over the top and make him out to be here only for the money, that he doesn't fit? A Mesut in the form he was against Liverpool would have probably put the ball on a plate for Auba 4 times in the first half against Sp**s. I honestly am happy that we have him, I think he's our most talented player and he will force games our way. Everyone gets a new chance but Mesut, because he gets paid so much, or something else? That LGBT thing is still stuck in my head, you'd never say that if Auba was unavailable. Hope he's back soon.

I've highlighted the points that I think often get cited in Özil's defence but no way can you say with any certainty he would've put the ball on a plate 4 times against Sp**s. The reason we created so many chances against Sp**s was because of our intensity that forced errors in the offensive third. A good example is Ramsey closing down Foyth for the Lacazette goal.

We cut off their passing lanes and steered them into traffic. There's a lot that happens outside of having the ball which contributes to creating turnovers and high quality chances near the opposition goal. We had 60% possession, 22 shots and 7 on target. Our second best attacking performance was the 5-1 away at Fulham again, we blew them away with our collective intensity.

It is undeniably true that he adds a spark of individual creativity to our play but the team philosophy under Emery requires every single player to be at a level of intensity for 90 minutes that Özil has struggled with.

Ramsey, who I don't think is anywhere near as naturally gifted as Özil has the joint highest number of assists in the Premier League, despite playing mostly as sub. Aubameyang is top scorer despite sometimes on the wing or as a sub. These are top top players who have all had to ride the bench from time to time, and while Özil has a lot to offer, he will do too.

It's all about the team, and if Özil is onboard with that, there will be a place for him.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I'm starting to strongly suspect there is something going on, it makes a lot of sense to me. But putting that aside, I think there should be discussions on whether we're getting enough from Özil. He definitely hasn't played at a level befitting of his mega-contract, and whether or not the injuries are real, the constant disappearances are cause for concern.

This might be controversial to some but if Emery doesn't plan to build the team around him, I'd look to sell him and reinvest. Even if we don't pocket a large fee, simply ridding ourselves of his wages would be a great financial help. The last two games have shown that we can live without him just fine.

His reaction when subbed against Wolves leads me to believe there's something going on.

If Emery doesn't see him as a focal point of this team then we have to sell, we just can't afford to have 350k p/w sitting on the bench. Some mentioned Inter but I can see him going to one of the Istanbul giants, Erdogan will open the vault for him.

arsmile

Established Member
it's good that we're so unpredictable at the moment

if manure knew he would be playing at 10...they'd have a plan to nullify him

they've no idea what we'll do- that should give Mesut more room to manoeuvre if he does play

i'd play him.

ptrcopp

Many players have stated that Mesut is one of the best they've played with. I'm sure these rumours are just that: rumours.

People tend to overreact when he signed the extension or when he murdered Leicester. Now they are overreacting again.

It’s like our best players become worse when injured and are worse players become better.

Welbeck may cement himself as the first choice striker when injured, and Özil becomes a crock who we just need to offload for the sake of the club.

ptrcopp

Assuming his current wage is £350k/w, if we offered to pay half of his remaining wage for a buying club in January then we’d have to sell him for about £23m to break even. The question is then if any club in Europe would pay at least £23m for a 30 year old in decline on a 175k/w wage. Only clubs I think could want/afford that is maybe the inter/ac Milan.

Our best bet if we’re looking to sell him is probably China. His agent confirmed that he had a big offer from China last year so it’s not entirely impossible. Paulinho at the age of 29 was sold for around £40m to a Chinese club last year so we’d definitely get some good money from Mesut if it ever happened.

Haven’t Chiba put a large excise on foreign players?
The size of transfers won’t be what they were.

razörist

I've highlighted the points that I think often get cited in Özil's defence but no way can you say with any certainty he would've put the ball on a plate 4 times against Sp**s. The reason we created so many chances against Sp**s was because of our intensity that forced errors in the offensive third. A good example is Ramsey closing down Foyth for the Lacazette goal.

We cut off their passing lanes and steered them into traffic. There's a lot that happens outside of having the ball which contributes to creating turnovers and high quality chances near the opposition goal. We had 60% possession, 22 shots and 7 on target. Our second best attacking performance was the 5-1 away at Fulham again, we blew them away with our collective intensity.

It is undeniably true that he adds a spark of individual creativity to our play but the team philosophy under Emery requires every single player to be at a level of intensity for 90 minutes that Özil has struggled with.

Ramsey, who I don't think is anywhere near as naturally gifted as Özil has the joint highest number of assists in the Premier League, despite playing mostly as sub. Aubameyang is top scorer despite sometimes on the wing or as a sub. These are top top players who have all had to ride the bench from time to time, and while Özil has a lot to offer, he will do too.

It's all about the team, and if Özil is onboard with that, there will be a place for him.
This is a very balanced and realistic way to look at it and I agree with most of it. Mesut works a lot off the ball and has recently improved his pressing game, winning the ball back too even. I think he can get even better and he will need to, everybode gave everything and put their feet through the ball, win the challenge and break your opponent. Is it one of his strenghts? No.

I love that we have a manager that will bench him if he thinks its better for our chances and he will have to get used to that too. If Auba can be benched, so can Mesut. This is a team job, if he can’t accept that, he can leave. But I think he will, he loves the club and the fans and he will adapt. He has to.

I don’t know why I still care so much, this is a forum with people I don’t give a **** about. It just hurts me that we don’t support our own players, but I guess the bullshit pundits have been spitting out over the years have reached their intended effect.

razörist

His reaction when subbed against Wolves leads me to believe there's something going on.

If Emery doesn't see him as a focal point of this team then we have to sell, we just can't afford to have 350k p/w sitting on the bench. Some mentioned Inter but I can see him going to one of the Istanbul giants, Erdogan will open the vault for him.
More Erdogan comments, nice. Are you german by any chance? Football before politics bro!

HBL

Established Member
Didn't see him in the training pictures today so I doubt he will be in the squad tomorrow.

LGooner98

I will give Özil the benefit of doubts that his back is hurt. However, i am disappointed that he didnt make it to the stadium to support the team on a home game against Sp**s, one of the biggest games of the season.

Hope

Less
Should be on bench today. Might come in Second half. No need to rush him.

Lol at people who think we dont need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom