• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Carrick

Clarkey

arsenal89 said:
Wenger is now confirming he wants to sign him see most websites for this

Wenger said he'has always loved him as a player, not he will sign him. Can't you remember when Wenger said that people always come out and say they like players and it doesn't instantly mean they will sign them. I reckon this:

a) is a smoke screen to cover the real target hes after
b) Wenger playing with the media knowing all tomorrow there will be reports about Carrick joining us rather then A N Other player, and also the Vieira situation.

Clever media ploy by Wenger.

Wenger said he'has always loved him as a player, not he will sign him. Can't you remember when Wenger said that people always come out and say they like players and it doesn't instantly mean they will sign them.

That's true but Wenger did also add: "If we sign Michael Carrick, it could happen even if Patrick stays - but nothing has been done on that front though."

So believe what you will.

JGooner

I would love Carrick to sign as a replacemen for Parlour (or perhaps Edu if he leaves). He is an all-rounder: tackles well, passes brilliantly, makes himself available for possession. He looked international class back in 01/02, but then faded. Wenger is the type of manager who you would bank on reviving someone like Carrick.

If he signs for Pompey and proves to be brilliant, he would cost us upwards of £10m if we wanted to sign a few years from now. So why not get him for £3.5 now?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
All these f*cking midfielders being linked with us is doing my head in. I believe two out of Edu, Gilberto and Vieira will depart. Carrick is bound to choose us over the other mediocre clubs interested in him.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No offence mate but is there anything wrong with you ????

You should work for the sun - Arsène says he rates him and all of a sudden he's confirmed he wants to sign him !?!?!?

Bloody hell !

JGooner

Jose_Reyes_2004 said:

No offence mate but is there anything wrong with you ????

You should work for the sun - Arsène says he rates him and all of a sudden he's confirmed he wants to sign him !?!?!?

Bloody hell !

He said more than that. He said that he could even sign Carrick if Vieria stays, so it's not rash to infer that he is interested is it?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arsène CONFIRMING that he is signing carrick is Arsène saying 'We are going to sign carrick'

Arsène saying that we COULD sign carrick and that he rates him is not confirming anything.

When asked about carrick, Arsène said:

"We have nothing to say about that," commented Wenger. "But he has always been a player I loved and we can sign Michael even if Patrick stays. But nothing has been done on that."

we CAN sign carrick - not we WILL sign carrick. :roll:

And if you ask me, i think the guy asked him if he's planning on replacing vieira with carrick - and then Arsène pointed out that even if we were to get carrick we'd get him with vieira in the team.

Once again - 'can' is a completely different word to 'will'

Therefore he never confirmed anything.

lewdikris

Established Member
What isn't good about him? He's been through the **** with injuries that happens to a lot of midfielders early in their 20s. He ain't an action man, but he has enormous potential - as much as anyone else we've been linked with.

I like the idea.

Particularly as one of my best mates is a West Ham fan and he'd ****ING HATE it if Carrick was a Gooner.

AFCG7

Established Member
I like him.. and i think 3 million for him is a very good deal.. i remember 2 years ago he was linked with us and many on this forum preferred him over Lampard.He's a good tackler and passer, maybe staying in Div one has stagnated his game a bit but i think he can perform at a higher level if given the chance.

pome

3 mill for an up and coming young english talent, i like it! with a bit of wengers magic who knows

orion

It's obvious that the interest on Carrick is because of the Famini situation. If the thing goes to court, we could be missing him for who knows how long. I use to think we would go for Carrick some seasons back as he seamed to be developing into a crafty player, but as someone said the injuries he suffered took their toll and he seamed to lost his way. To be honest I don't really have a clue how he's done for the Hammers recently in the 1st division, but Arsène stating he's interested tells me not too badly. But we'll have to see how the thing with Marseille progresses.

Adam

Established Member
Of course, the worry is that if Vieira leaves we lose the power, strength and pace in CM. It's okay having Carrick supplement Vieira, but no one else.

It's the same in defence - if you have a composed lightweight like Cygan, you have to have Sol there in the Arsenal game. In central midfield - moreover, we need power.

KingReyes

Established Member
Bringing in Carrick would be bringing another player with the potential to be a top class player. Wenger has said he would like him regardless of whether Vieira stays or not. So he's definately not Paddy's replacement. He also said the Flamini thing will be settled soon. If Paddy leaves we would need someone with more experience like Maniche and others we been linked to IMO. But who am I to judge Wenger.

Adam

Established Member
He would hamper Cesc (who will be largely ready in 2/3 years), challenge Edu and Flamini, and be behind Gilberto.

6 CM's. It's dangerous depth.

KingReyes

Established Member
Adam said:
He would hamper Cesc (who will be largely ready in 2/3 years), challenge Edu and Flamini, and be behind Gilberto.

6 CM's. It's dangerous depth.

Its definately strange, Wenger is not known to have a large squad of midfielders and I doubt he would want to ruin Cesc's chances. Maybe he noticed we didn't have the depth to challenge on all three fronts. But keeping them happy would be a problem IF true.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom