Mikel Arteta: New Arsenal Head Coach

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Prefers To Be Called Dennis

Im one of all time greats here!

Gooner416 likes this.
  2. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

The Athletic is worth it. It’s a great publication. Great articles with good tactical information.

say yes likes this.
  3. CaseUteinberger

Do it! It’s well worth it!

Trilly likes this.
  4. CaseUteinberger

Lee Dixon is a bit talky though. He really sucks up all the air when he goes on about something.

5. CaseUteinberger

Trying to be optimistic! Tired of all the bad vibes! I want us and myself to be happy supporters for a change. It might backfire but for now I am going to jump on the bandwagon hard! :bounce:

Sapient Hawk and Gooner416 like this.
  6. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

Personally, I don’t believe this is the type of team that Arteta envisions. Right now, he’s making the most of our situation with the players at our disposal. I find it hard to believe that a La Masia graduate and a student of Pep, wouldn’t move to a 4-3-3 but I don’t think we have the midfielders for that. I reckon when Özil’s contract is up, he’ll shift to a 3 man midfield or even as soon as the next preseason.

7. Football Manager

Football Manager Broken Record

In modern tactics, starting formation is just a reference of how a team would set up when defending.

When attacking, players would be given instructions on how they should move. So players would occupy a different set of space than where they should be on a starting formation.

For example, you can start with a 4-3-3, and end up something like a 2-3-5 field occupation in the attacking phase. Or you can achieve the same field occupation with a starting formation of a 4-4-2 lineup.

And this field occupation can be constantly changing during a game. When your opponent is outnumbering your central midfield, you may want to tuck in a winger/fullback, or drop a striker deep to overload your central area. Sometimes people refer this to the manager changing the formation multiple times in a match, but in fact, it’s just a decision to change the field occupation to give you a numerical advantage in certain area of the pitch.
    A very detailed and accurate analysis.
    Some of you might find this amazing but this is nothing new to me. Guardiola’s City , Bayern and Barcelona had all played the exact same tactics. I’m a big fan of his tactics.
    I’m glad that Arteta has learned all that advanced tactical knowledge and choose to apply this instead of Wenger’s tactics free approach or Moyes’ defensive set up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  8. Football Manager

Football Manager Broken Record

@hydrofluoric acid
    And you seem to be so happy and sure about his ability way before he was appointed. Where is your evidence that he has already learned all the stuff from Pep? Where is your justification for him to be good enough if we appoint him straight after Wenger without even learning one thing from Pep?

It’s fine if you knew taking Arteta is a risk but you are still willing to take the risk and support him because other managers are not guaranteed to be successful anyway.
    It’s fine if fans supported him after a few matches, knowing that his tactical knowledge is great.
    Its fine if people think he is an inexperienced manager and need more time to tell if he is good enough.
    It’s also fine if fans don’t support him because Guardiola’s football is not for them. They wanted a more defensive approach.

It’s fine because every opinion above comes with a reason. But I am sick of people supporting him with no reason or logic behind. Because you FEEL that he is a good manager, so he is the greatest manager on earth before he even started his first match? And saying you love him so much, and other managers are sh**? Where is the logic? To me it’s like an eight years old fangirl supporting a boyband. Or a mother who thinks her son is the best in everything, just because he is her son.

I support Arteta because from the first few matches, he showed that he is a good manager. You support him because you have blind believe in him, it’s embarrassing.

After all these years of school, why would people not have any critical thinking? Or I just have to accept that under the normal distribution, there will always be certain percentage of people having IQ under 50?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Trilly likes this.
  9. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Yep, I'm wasted on here. No appreciation for the finest dad jokes.

Trilly, DJ_Markstar and celestis like this.
  10. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Arteta has made me excited for Arsenal matches again instead of dreading them.

Thank you Mikel!

11. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Question: When Emery (remember him) joined, the players closed down as a pack for a couple of games. Then it stopped. Forever.

Anyone recall how long it lasted for?

BigPoppaPump likes this.
  12. Wryer

Wryer Well-Known Member

Not more than 8 games I believe. And if my memory serves me right, it was far less structured than what we see now.

El Duderino likes this.
  13. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One

Think it was gone as soon as Torreiras form disappeared and he was forced to play a more advanced role to try and recover the ball up the pitch, leaving Xhaka unprotected.

Got to remember that the performances weren't really all that great aside from a few games here and there. There was a lot of luck involved and chance creation and later shots allowed became huge problems.

14. Riou

Riou Nostalgia Merchant

To be fair to Emery, we were always good in big games under him last season...only lost once at home, his first game against City...smashed Sp**s, Chelsea and United...drew with Liverpool, in a match I feel we should have won...even away, the only time we got smashed was at Liverpool, the rest we performed quite well in.

Emery mainly struggled to impose us on smaller teams, and I believe Arteta will be more attack minded in these games, which will help us.

15. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Wasn't the players that stopped , Emery changed it.

Wryer likes this.
  16. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

We never had a structured attack under Emery as such you cant counter press if everyone is all over the place . Incredible how the shots against has suddenly dramatically reduced.

Wryer, razörist, El Duderino and 2 others like this.
  17. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

I think games like the 5-1 defeat to Liverpool (add in the 3-2 defeat to Southampton) prompted Emery to take a more cautious approach. The first game I remember us being really negative in was the 3-1 defeat to City, I remember feeling that it was a tad surprising because although I never had Emery down as the most attack minded coach it still seemed overly negative even for him. We stopped pressing and hunting in packs probably because he was fearful of us leaving too much space for the opposition to exploit. Funnily enough tho, although we kept a few clean sheets our defence didn't exactly improve that much when we went more cautious.

Also I don't think we can ignore the communication issues too, perhaps it's hard to get across to his players how to press in an organised and effective way when you can't communicate properly so in the end he just decided to not bother with it. But this is more speculation on my part.

18. razörist

Its Arteta’s protection against the counter loving it :drool:

254Giant and celestis like this.
  19. razörist

He has just ripped off Guardiola’s ideas so far except the rotational fouling, eager to see more :trophy:

20. razörist

Would like to add it was open house under Emery, don’t think we have ever been so open under Wenger. We crumbled easily, but we did it the right way, missing 6 open chances in 14 minutes and getting KO’d by the first chance our opponents get on the break. What happened under Emery was a disgrace.

jonos14 and El Duderino like this.