• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: One Mo Year

vantoure

Edu was 4th choice once upon a time and was better than mo!!
There's a reason that team was invincible, lol.
Not saying he's an ideal player, but I believe there's a use for El Neny if you have a savvy manager. I can imagine a Benitez would like him in his squad

vantoure

Elnenys probably put in 2 7/10 performances in 5 and a half years here.

Problem is we've got a very injury prone starter, a guy prone to rash decisions and suspensions and a kid who's probably not fully ready for the PL as the immediate backup currently. Although Partey probably wouldn't have made the difference you could argue our lack of proper depth is already costing us.

People act as tho he's just gonna be a name in the squad list who'll barely contribute but we've already seen it's not gonna take much and if he's playing 5-10 games it could end being costly because he's so far away from being good enough it's scary. Does nothing with the ball, is an absolute cone defensively, has zero quality in helping us playing through teams in the build up.
I get your point, but again it's about managing expectations. it's clear he's technically average.

Take the city match for example, if considering injuries and general levels of both teams. The manager set out a 343, with Elneny and Xhaka in midfield, IMO, he would have had the right idea in mind with that. That is we sit back and try to hassle city in our half (building Elneny's workrate) and look to use the long ball ability of Xhaka to release runners (Auba, Saka, etc.)

Now, it likely would have still failed, but I'd wager that it would have been a more coherent plan and he'd be using the resources available to him to their strengths.

It's the way Fergie used to use Fletcher and Sung so effectively. Limited footballers but useful for the team due to their energy and hassle

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Mo is a backup & ideally he would move on as he does not offer enough. Unfortunately we are struggling for competent midfielders. Fact is he is a better passer of the ball and more tactically aware than AMN.

He is bang average but it could be said he is probably one of Arsenes more successful late tenure signings tbf? lowish price passable as back up just about.
Dont understand the hate for a 4th choice player.

I don't understand the hate and ignorance fans hold towards him. Never a starter for Arsenal but he's a good hardworking backup midfielder.
Exactly. Keeps us ticking. Would rather him than that Swiss fraud any day of the week.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Mo is a backup & ideally he would move on as he does not offer enough. Unfortunately we are struggling for competent midfielders. Fact is he is a better passer of the ball and more tactically aware than AMN.

He is bang average but it could be said he is probably one of Arsenes more successful late tenure signings tbf? lowish price passable as back up just about.
Dont understand the hate for a 4th choice player.
1. Elneny has out stayed his welcome. He's been here since 2016.
2. The fans believed we would be having a rebuild, instead guys that have let down Wenger are still considered valuable players to Arteta.
3. He blocks the minutes to more promising youth players.
4. Elneny is actually a poor 4th choice when you compare him to other clubs:

Arsenal four midfielders:
Partey
Xhaka
Lokonga
Elneny

Chelsea four:
Kante
Jorginho
Kovavic
Saul

United four:
Pogba
McTominay
Fred
Matic

Tottenham:
Holjberg
Ndombele
Winks
Skipp

Liverpool:
Fabinho
Henderson
Thiago
Keita

Leicester:
Tielmanns
Ndidi
Choudhary
Soumare

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
1. Elneny has out stayed his welcome. He's been here since 2016.
2. The fans believed we would be having a rebuild, instead guys that have let down Wenger are still considered valuable players to Arteta.
3. He blocks the minutes to more promising youth players.
4. Elneny is actually a poor 4th choice when you compare him to other clubs:
I agree but its all relative. The whole squad needs a rebuild but the simple fact is you cannot move most of them on for money.
MAJOR PROBLEM
We did quite lot of incomings this transfer window but shifting players out was a massive issue. Imho We still need another striker replacement for Laca & a CM replacement for Mo/Xhaka.
Fact is under Arteta we have brought in 2 CMs. I think we may have let Xhaka go for a better offer but you cannot seriously let him go for 12m & Mo for free at the present time with no replacements jist because us 'the fanbase' wants a change.

One of the main issues with Mo imho is that he gets tarred with the far more expensive 1st choice similar time period signing Xhaka & it reflects on him.
Mo is 4th choice at best this season going for 2 positions.
Big recent signing Partey has unfortunately struggled with injuries & Xhaka for all his issues was still our best midfielder last season. Sambi has just arrived.

Who are the promising youth players that Mo is blocking ? If you are better than him for that specific role you will play. AMN aint better than him, just different.
If you are playing a 2 man pivot you could not play Joe willock (now departed) as he would be a liability.
You can hardly drop 17 year old children like Azeez/Patino into such an important position at moment.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Mainly down to us only really having 1 midfielder of starting quality right now, and even he is injury prone.

So Mo ends up playing more than he should.
I think that is absolutely spot on & with Xhaka recently 'doing a Xhaka' he is worryingly for many too near a starting spot.
As 4th/5th choice while not great he is ok if not playing too much.
I think AMN could get some of those minutes tbh. However he needs to show he is decent in training & learn to pass a football.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
So the club can keep his transfer value next summer? And next summer prospect clubs drop their interest when learning his wage demand? While Edu can brag about the management team working hard in finalizing another contract negotiation with a first teamer?
Yes and then we will have to loan him while paying half or all his wages until his contract eventually runs out and we still end up with nothing.

SK___

There's a reason that team was invincible, lol.
Not saying he's an ideal player, but I believe there's a use for El Neny if you have a savvy manager. I can imagine a Benitez would like him in his squad
he should buy him then
savvy purchase

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom