Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 1, 2019.

1. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Well-Known Member

So what i gather from this thread is not to have any expectations for him and hope he might become good in 5-10 years, that’s what we paid 70m for.

<<reed>> and scytheavatar like this.
  2. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

I expect Pepe to be a massive upgrade from Iwobi, at the very least. Right now he's looking more like a marginal upgrade from Iwobi at best. Iwobi was our bright spark and the guy making things happen last season, yet that didn't stop fans from ****ting on him due to his dodgy end product. Some degree of double standards here that Pepe has dodgy end product yet it's his teammates fault for that.

BigPoppaPump likes this.
  3. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

Not sure what people think 70 mil in instalments gets you these days. Zaha has similar stats to Pepe this season and he’s a fantastic player + our original target. He would have cost us more upfront, people just need to stop using the price tag as an excuse to bash a player.

Pepe isn’t going to dribble the length of the pitch and win us games single handedly, I’m not sure what to tell you guys.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

Can he play as a 10?

The_Playmaker likes this.
  5. DasBootist

DasBootist Well-Known Member

If Pepe isn't a monster attacker and one of Arsenal's best players in a year's time, then it would be reasonable to be worried. Not 6 months into his Arsenal career ffs

Macho likes this.
  6. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Prefers To Be Called Dennis

Actually I dont blame him for being fouled. Its just we are Arsenal and I think we and Pepe get zero protection from the refs hence I think it would be wise of Pepe not provoking the brutes in other teams when he is dribbling in places and time where he doesnt have too.

I hope Pepe make it. Its always like that. But for me it just so many things that are yet to click and atm it feels hopeless! Hopefully Arteta can Sterling him and we are in for a better times where everyone tags me in matchday thread when he scores or assists!

7. Moah

Moah Active Member

Will him being as good as Sterling justify the 70m for you?

8. hydrofluoric acid

Maybe. It all depends if I'm done hating him or not!

9. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Pepe is 24 years old....... he is not 18 years old like Gabriel. Those expecting him to play vastly better next season compared to this season are expecting far too much from him.

10. BigPoppaPump

People keep saying he's here for potential like he's suddenly gonna become world class at 25, by 24 he should be performing close to his prime.

11. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

I assume you read this thread blindfolded then.

12. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

You’re confusing developing as a player with adapting to a new environment.

Or you’re just being deliberately obtuse as most of the critics on here seem to be.

13. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Well-Known Member

In our system we need a 10 who can press, has the speed to track, can shoot, can take up spaces between lines, dribble and pass.

Speed
    Press
    Track
    Dribble
    Between lines
    Shoot
    Pass

Pepe can do all of those things. You feel like having him in between the lines instead of Özil and buying someone like Traore to play on the right would make us stronger.

14. Moah

Moah Active Member

It has always been you hating him not about his performances

15. hydrofluoric acid

Nah his performances have been huge problem this season. Not a single good game. Maybe that game where he scored two free kicks against some team in EL but that was just free kicks. His overall game is lacking big time!

16. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

I would like to see it.

Özil is doing really nothing, Pepe can't be any worse than that and of course Traore would be a good buy too, but to be honest I just expect Özil starting all matches this season, he has so much weight in the squad that you can't drop him without consequences.

17. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

We’ve seen numerous players hit their peaks at all different stages.
    His Arsenal career isn’t over after 6 months however you slice it :lol:

We have certain dons starting today how have been **** for years, have some patience.

18. IchirotoV2

IchirotoV2 Well-Known Member

I thought he was good against west ham

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  19. BigPoppaPump

That's my point though most of these dons you can tell were washed within their first season.

20. Penn_

Penn_ Established Member

If what we’re seeing is a near 100% Pepe than god were we ripped off.