• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Kind of player that would thrive against city's high line.

How can someone watch Pepe and tell me he's a flop. He's arguably the best dribbler in the league. The ease with which he goes past player is ridiculous. Only player I can remember that used to toy with defender like that was hazard.

Our system currently doesn't allow him to thrive. We isolate him 3v1 everytime.

The only thing he lacks is ability to make the right decision (pass or shoot, Avoid or dribble etc)

You can teach a player those things. But the talent Pepe have, you can't teach.

Everytime he holds the ball, you see 2 or 3 players coming to mark him. Hopefully, When we've sort out our RB situation, things will improve
Sterling use to have that same problem. Arteta straightened him out. In a functional team, he'll thrive imo

I’m not sure if you actually believe this?

What would you be saying if we had Salah, Mané, Sterling or Sané?

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Would would you be saying if we had Salah, Mané, Sterling or Sané?
Yes.

Mane is a player that relies on his pace and agility not on natural dribbling ability.

Sane and Sterling hardly ever gets double or triple-teamed. City's entire attacking plan is based on shifting their opponent's defense to one side and then quickly switching the ball to the wing thereby isolating the opponents fullback 1 v 1 against Sane or Sterling.

It will be **** to put two defenders on a city winger ffs

Salah is not really a player that can go past multiple player effortlessly like the way Pepe can.

Hazard was the undisputed best dribbler in the league. what separates Hazard from Pepe is the final ball i.e Decision making.

Those wingers you listed are all regarded as the best wingers in the League not because they're truly great dribbers but because of their end product and output.

Even zaha is arguably a dribbler than those wingers you listed

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
giphy.gif

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yes.

Mane is a player that relies on his pace and agility not on natural dribbling ability.

Sane and Sterling hardly ever gets double or triple-teamed. City's entire attacking plan is based on shifting their opponent's defense to one side and then quickly switching the ball to the wing thereby isolating the opponents fullback against Sane or Sterling.

Salah is not really a player that can go past multiple player effortlessly like the way Pepe can.

Hazard was the undisputed best dribbler in the league. what separates Hazard from Pepe is the final ball i.e Decision making.

Those wingers you listed are all regarded as the best wingers in the League not because they're truly great dribbers but because of their end product and output.

This is such a weird thing to say. You realise that end product and output is the purpose behind effective dribbling right? They dribble when it’s needed. The only thing different is style.

Pepe isn’t the most effective dribbler in our team (that is Saka) let alone the league.

Do you remember Cristiano Ronaldo when he first arrived at Man U vs the player he became when he focused on end product? The same for Sterling. The same for Gnabry.

Hazard’s one touch combination was just as, if not more deadly and prominent than his dribbling. His spatial awareness, ball control, agility and brute strength allowed him to use his dribbling to maximum effect.

What makes the players I mentioned so good is they have the basics mastered. That’s what Pepe needs to do - until then his dribbling in circles is as useful to us as an inflatable dartboard.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

His performance at Anfield minus the **** finishing was brilliant, he looked bigger, stronger and faster than he currently does.

Wouldn’t be surprised if our ****ing club purposely made him lose some muscle to fit in with the rest of our little men.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

This is such a weird thing to say. You realise that end product and output is the purpose behind effective dribbling right? They dribble when it’s needed. The only thing different is style.

Pepe isn’t the most effective dribbler in our team (that is Saka) let alone the league.

Do you remember Cristiano Ronaldo when he first arrived at Man U vs the player he became when he focused on end product? The same for Sterling. The same for Gnabry.

Hazard’s one touch combination was just as, if not more deadly and prominent than his dribbling. His spatial awareness, ball control, agility and brute strength allowed him to use his dribbling to maximum effect.

What makes the players I mentioned so good is they have the basics mastered. That’s what Pepe needs to do - until then his dribbling in circles is as useful to us as an inflatable dartboard.
If you'd read my post you'd know that in no where in my post did I say he was a more effective dribbler. I saw he was a bterr and more talented dribbler than the lot you mentioned. He goes past players more ease than those four lads you listed.

The majority of the reason Pepe looks less threatening than those wingers is because he doesn't get the ball in very dangerous areas.

I also said that his decision making can be better. I also said that Sterling used to be just like Pepe until Arteta straightened him out.

The likes of Sterling, Sane, Mane and Salah play in a team that is designed to get the best out of them. Pepe meanwhile plays in a dysfunctional team and is asked to single handedly orchestrate attack than the right hand side. The RB is asked to stay back and defend so as to give us more bodies to defend counters.

I expect things to change next season

Bloodbather

Established Member

Tierney is left back version of Bellerin..... much more comfortable in attack than he is in defense. Either way Pepe will never be the preferred spear of our attack as long as we have Auba on the pitch.

Tierney is the better defender out of the two and he's more well-rounded, that would factor in to the decision you'd think. Bellerin is useless if he's not allowed to overlap, that's his biggest strength as a player. Just makes more sense to give the overlapping role to Bellerin and the cut-inside role to Tierney.

benjamin86

Established Member
If you'd read my post you'd know that in no where in my post did I say he was a more effective dribbler. I saw he was a bterr and more talented dribbler than the lot you mentioned. He goes past players more ease than those four lads you listed.

The majority of the reason Pepe looks less threatening than those wingers is because he doesn't get the ball in very dangerous areas.

I also said that his decision making can be better. I also said that Sterling used to be just like Pepe until Arteta straightened him out.

The likes of Sterling, Sane, Mane and Salah play in a team that is designed to get the best out of them. Pepe meanwhile plays in a dysfunctional team and is asked to single handedly orchestrate attack than the right hand side. The RB is asked to stay back and defend so as to give us more bodies to defend counters.

I expect things to change next season
100% agree, this season the RB has usually tucked in and not offered an overlap so Pepe gets left 2 on 1.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Mentioned it in the match day thread but he constantly has Özil drifting to his side of the pitch and also rarely has a right back overlapping. That means he’s often in a situation with three opponents on his side of the pitch (the RB, RW and the player Özil has dragged across). Hard for a dribbler to dribble in such a congested area.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mentioned it in the match day thread but he constantly has Özil drifting to his side of the pitch and also rarely has a right back overlapping. That means he’s often in a situation with three opponents on his side of the pitch (the RB, RW and the player Özil has dragged across). Hard for a dribbler to dribble in such a congested area.
Infuriating watching him and Özil together, awful tactics.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
His performance at Anfield minus the **** finishing was brilliant, he looked bigger, stronger and faster than he currently does.

Wouldn’t be surprised if our ****ing club purposely made him lose some muscle to fit in with the rest of our little men.

Agree. He peaked in his first 3 appearances. It's weird.

Kav

Established Member
Did someone say best dribbler in the league? LMAO.... :rofl:

Ladies and gents may i refer you to one called Allan Saint-Maximin.

Moah

Did someone say best dribbler in the league? LMAO.... :rofl:

Ladies and gents may i refer you to one called Allan Saint-Maximin.
Anyone who thinks Allan Saint-Maximin is the best dribbler in the league can't rate Pepe lower than him

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

What do we mean by “Best dribbler in the league” anyway? Do you guys remember Adel Taraabt? Why is that a title to behold?

I go back to it. The best dribblers are the ones who are most effective in consistently progressing play not the ones who rely on just beating an immediate opponent.

Leo Messi is arguably the best dribbler in the world yet how often does he actually dribble? His first touch, close control and balance are always perfect.

I am not expecting Pepe to be Messi just highlighting that elite footballers master the basics first. Messi’s own teammate Dembele is another who desperately needs to learn that.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I thought Pepe was our most dangerous player goong forward today. Pepe made numerous good runs skinning their full and making them look foolish. Pepe had help with Sokratis playing at RB, he could concentrate going forward and not contribute as much defensively as require when Bellerin plays as Bellerin is liability defensively.
I was waiting for the Bellerin link and boom! Like clockwork.

You're a top ten poster and I mean that.:lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Was at the game today. His biggest problem is balance and strength. His lack of power limits that thrust to build up speed when running in a straight line (e.g Son). Really, really needs to do some gym work in the summer.
What you're saying sounds smart but it doesn't really make sense to me.

How does he lack balance when he regularly stops on a six pence/makes sharp cuts that completely skin defenders? I know that's partially agility as well but the two come hand in hand. For a player of his height I haven't seen many as agile. He regularly outmanoeuvres smaller fullbacks as well.

Lack of power? Power is strength x speed and he's not Adama Traore but he isn't Valbuena either. The speed he has more than makes up for any perceived weakness. I don't get the comparison to Son either...they're probably the same speed Pepe just glides while Son has good running technique.

You're probably the only person saying he isn't fast. Just seems like you're not a fan of the player.

What would you be saying if we had Salah, Mané, Sterling or Sané?
He's a better dribbler than all of them.

Then again so is Sofiane Boufal. All the players you listed are very effective dribblers but they have nothing on Pepe in terms of footwork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom