• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akhil

Well, as we know, success in the premier is not the same as success in Ligue 1 (though I don't like to make these kind of comments because I think with good scouting usually Ligue 1 players translate well enough, it's just that Pepe was poor scouting, he had a great penalty-inflated/counter-attack inflated season that should've raised flags with the scouting department).

The difference being his 2 seasons at Lille outdoes anything Willian has done in his career numbers wise. His 2 best seasons for Chelsea under Conte came in a primarily counter attacking team with a talismanic Eden Hazard in the same side. His first 2 seasons at Chelsea yielded 8 goals and 12 assists total; that was in a relatively good Chelsea team.

It's only downhill physically for Willian from here, not sure how he's going to give more than what he's shown in the past. Which wasn't much to begin with.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
It's been bugging me for a long time to whom I would compare Pepe to. At first, I was going to say Arshavin. Then my mind thought of him as a Poundland Sanchez but a Poundland Sanchez would do better than Pepe is right now and then Gervinho came to my head but now I think he reminds me of Oxlade Chamberlain. He has qualities but it's obvious he's more of an individualistic talent. Very rarely did he seem like he was in sync with everyone else. Just aimlessly trying to beat a man with a dribble when the pass was the better option. Like I'd he has a lethal shot on him but rarely is he in zones where he can use it effectively. Ultimately, the best we saw of the Ox was when he was a RWB. Now I'm not saying Arteta will put him there but it's a reason why I think he plays out on the left at times. In theory it can simplify his game but Pepe is Pepe.

Last edited:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's been bugging me for a long time to whom I would compare Pepe to. At first, I was going to say Arshavin. Then my mind thought of him as a Poundland Sanchez but a Poundland Sanchez would do better than Pepe is right now and then Gervinho came to my head but now I think he reminds me of Oxlade Chamberlain. He has qualities but it's obvious he's more of an individualistic. Very rarely did he seem like he was in sync with everyone else. Just aimlessly trying to beat a man with a drivvlw when the pass was the better option. Like I'd he has a lethal shot on him but rarely is he In zones where he can use it effectively. Ultimately, the best we saw of the Ox was when he was a RWB. Now I'm not saying Arteta will put him there but it's a reason why I think he plays out on the left at times. In theory it can simplify his game but Pepe is Pepe.

Good shout, I see what you mean with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Neither seem to have a very good "football brain", they don't make the right runs, they pass when they should dribble and dribble when they should pass ect.

I'd maybe suggest Gervinho. It's a bit of a cop out answer given their both Ivorian wingers from Lille, but both are/were widely inconsistent, even within games themselves. I do think Pepe is a far better player though.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
The difference being his 2 seasons at Lille outdoes anything Willian has done in his career numbers wise. His 2 best seasons for Chelsea under Conte came in a primarily counter attacking team with a talismanic Eden Hazard in the same side. His first 2 seasons at Chelsea yielded 8 goals and 12 assists total; that was in a relatively good Chelsea team.

It's only downhill physically for Willian from here, not sure how he's going to give more than what he's shown in the past. Which wasn't much to begin with.

Not sure about that, Willian was fantastic in his first few seasons for Chelsea. I remember reading a statsbomb article that made a strong case (statistically) for him having as big an impact as Hazard in their title winning season.

You are underrating his contributions. His season last season was far better than anything Pepe has shown or looks capable of showing in the Premier.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's been bugging me for a long time to whom I would compare Pepe to. At first, I was going to say Arshavin. Then my mind thought of him as a Poundland Sanchez but a Poundland Sanchez would do better than Pepe is right now and then Gervinho came to my head but now I think he reminds me of Oxlade Chamberlain. He has qualities but it's obvious he's more of an individualistic. Very rarely did he seem like he was in sync with everyone else. Just aimlessly trying to beat a man with a drivvlw when the pass was the better option. Like I'd he has a lethal shot on him but rarely is he In zones where he can use it effectively. Ultimately, the best we saw of the Ox was when he was a RWB. Now I'm not saying Arteta will put him there but it's a reason why I think he plays out on the left at times. In theory it can simplify his game but Pepe is Pepe.
Pepe as a LWB?
You may be on to something.
He might reinvent himself into a decent Wingback like victor Moses.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sammy89

(Not so) fun exercise: what would Pepe bring in if sold this summer? 30mm?

He's currently unsellable. Makes more sense for him personally to ride out his contract till 2023 while making a few loan moves here and there. That's the other side of the risk with big money signings, you can't move them easily if they're a bust early on.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
He's currently unsellable. Makes more sense for him personally to ride out his contract till 2023 while making a few loan moves here and there. That's the other side of the risk with big money signings, you can't move them easily if they're a bust early on.

I seem to remember Chelsea buying Morata for £60m and selling him for 60 odd million.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

(Not so) fun exercise: what would Pepe bring in if sold this summer? 30mm?
If his performance against Newcastle can be his base going forwards then he and we’ll be fine. It was a relatively simple performance yet he showed how easily he can create chances for himself and others. He was strolling away from defenders like they weren’t there at times.

Not sure what his wages are but someone would pay for that.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Good shout, I see what you mean with Oxlade-Chamberlain. Neither seem to have a very good "football brain", they don't make the right runs, they pass when they should dribble and dribble when they should pass ect.

I'd maybe suggest Gervinho. It's a bit of a cop out answer given their both Ivorian wingers from Lille, but both are/were widely inconsistent, even within games themselves. I do think Pepe is a far better player though.
It's Gervinho for me

Both of them are utter ****e and shouldn't be anywhere near the famous red and white

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
If Lille finishes strongly and get CL i can see them coming back for him if we indeed want to sell. Will be at a sunk cost, of course Cliftton

EinmalImmerEwig

If his performance against Newcastle can be his base going forwards then he and we’ll be fine. It was a relatively simple performance yet he showed how easily he can create chances for himself and others. He was strolling away from defenders like they weren’t there at times.

Not sure what his wages are but someone would pay for that.
Wages are allegedly £140k a week

As to the 'strolling away from defenders' bit, I think defenders have sussed him out, so they let him 'stroll away' to a place where he is ineffective.

I would swap him for Walcott, and I ****ing hate Walcott!

EinmalImmerEwig

If Lille finishes strongly and get CL i can see them coming back for him if we indeed want to sell. Will be at a sunk cost, of course Cliftton
Or maybe a loan so that he can dazzle again in Ligue 1, and then come back here and disappoint

We're stuck with him.
There will be no profit made on him. FACT!
Whether we can sell him? I doubt it.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
If you read it you'd have seen some good points.

Look no further than your boi Willian as an example of what a manager can do for ones career. Arteta is literally the only reason that guy sees any game time.

Most would absolutely bin that guy judged on what he's served up in an Arsenal shirt.
I’ll try :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If you're looking to compare Pepe to another Arsenal player he's Gervinho with a better shot.

Pepe in the PL. 42 games. 7 goals. 6 assists.

Gervinho in the PL. 46 games. 9 goals. 8 assists.

No-one would be tempted to say Gervinho was a success here over a comparable amount of games.

Both are fun players to watch. Good dribblers though never seem to have the ball fully under control. Lack decision making skills. Both work best playing on instinct, if you give them time on the ball they'll frequently panic and make a poor decision.

Pepe's not terrible but he's a £25-£30m player that we payed a ridiculously over the odds for.

Last edited:

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

If you're looking to compare Pepe to another Arsenal player he's Gervinho with a better shot.

Pepe in the PL. 42 games. 7 goals. 6 assists.

Gervinho in the PL. 46 games. 9 goals. 8 assists.

No-one would be tempted to say Gervinho was a success here over a comparable amount of games.

Both are fun players to watch. Good dribblers though never seem to have the ball fully under control. Lack decision making skills. Both work best playing on instinct, if you give them time on the ball they'll frequently panic and make a poor decision.

Pepe's not terrible but he's a £25-£30m player that we payed a ridiculous sum for. It is what it is.
Great, now bring up Saka, Willian, Zaha etc and look at their numbers.

Pepe's is a dead player why even bring this up? :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Great, now bring up Saka, Willian, Zaha etc and look at their numbers.

Pepe's is a dead player why even bring this up? :lol:

Saka's a kid. Willian's crap and Zaha doesn't even play for us, why would I do that :lol:

People above were talking about who in recent Arsenal history is comparable to Pepe. I think Gervinho.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Saka's a kid. Willian's crap and Zaha doesn't even play for us, why would I do that :lol:

People above were talking about who in recent Arsenal history is comparable to Pepe. I think Gervinho.
Saka has had like close to double the minutes
Willian is direct competition
Zaha was the original target

Pepe and Gerv were completely different players tbh, but enjoy.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Saka has had like close to double the minutes
Willian is direct competition
Zaha was the original target

Pepe and Gerv were completely different players tbh, but enjoy.

Fine, Saka 41 appearances in the PL (15 of those at LB) 4 goals 6 assists. Between the ages of 17 and 19.

Willian 13 appearances 3 assists. So yeah, crap but that doesn't say anything good about Pepe, just how poor a signing Willian has been.

Zaha over the 2 years. 43 matches 12 goals 5 assists. Playing for Palace, a relatively poor side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom