• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nigel de Jong

Floating

Established Member
P_Gunner said:
All year round people say Arsenal need a ****ish player willing to throw himself into a tackle, rough enough to get a few cards and make opponents actually be afraid of us like they used to - not just for skill but also for our physicality. Yet when we're going to sign one everyone is turned off by a dirty tackle and then forgets how good he's been for years, stating he would be an underwhelming signing? Double standards at its best. When we play Stoke next year once again people will be screaming for the need of a physical player to make opponents fear us.

No, it's two different contingents, mate. The same people that have been crying out to sign any player with "graft" or a dirty streak that will bring "steel" and "grit" to our midfield, are the fans that want De Jong.

Those that had doubts about that style of player, and believe we need to stick to our game above all and not sign limited players just because they're aggressive, are the ones that don't want De Jong.

It's two different groups of fans - it's not the same people doubling back when it suits them.

qs

Established Member
celestis said:
CrazyInLoveWithArsenal said:
Played like a right pillock in the final. We're Arsenal not Stoke fking City, he and others like him are not welcome at this football club.

Yup , this would be more underwhelming than signing shwartzer for me unless w'ere aiming to for a record number of straight reds this season .

Wow all it takes is one game for people to come to such baseless conclusions. I can't remember him ever getting a red for City.

P_Gunner

Strange part is De Jong wasn't even bad in the finals. He was rough and his tackle on Alonso was despicable, but he was ever present, closed down quickly and did his job reasonably well.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
He's got a great engine and is aggressive and pacy. Would do the same job that Mascherano does for Liverpool, perhaps, a slightly inferior version. He'd be a useful player to defend against the kind of counter-attacks that hurt us so much in big games, last year.

But I'm surprised we're discussing him because as far as I know, there have been no links, forget credibility, that link us to him. After being a regular player for City last season, there is absolutely no way they'd want to let him go this summer. A year of sitting on the bench behind Yaya and they might look to offload him. But surely not now.

Biggus

Established Member
entropy13 said:
If only it were Xavi and not Xabi...he might have coughed up all the "Barcelona DNA" inside of him. :lol:
rotflmaf.gif

kamikaze80

Established Member
wanting someone who is aggressive and tenacious is not the same as wanting a bad player. everything is either/or with you simpletons.

i dont think either de jong or melo would improve us.

Floating

Established Member
I know that, kami, but so many times posters on here have cried out for Wenger to sign a player like Cana or De Jong (average players who happen to be known for their aggression and tenacity), knowing that they're limited players that won't exactly fit in to the system we've established.

The players that are quality AND aggressive (i.e. Vieira, Keane, Gattuso, etc) are few and far between.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
So many people hating De Jong?

He would be a brilliant signing for us. Stop that myth that he have no awareness and cant pass. He is a decent player at that apart from his excellent defensive shielding ability.

Have been crying for such a DM for a long time

scytheavatar

Established Member
If we needed a player like De Jong, we might have as well signed Cana who would have been much cheaper. Heck, we might as well have not let Muamba go; he's probably better than both De Jong and Cana.

ricky1985

Established Member
Wouldn't want De Jong anywhere near our team. He's an okay player, but, pretty thick in a lot of what he does - with and without the ball.

outlaw_member

Established Member
We need a player like him. If there was someone with his tenacity and destructive ability who could also pass the ball, then we would be in luck. You have to remember that Gilberto was also atrocious on the ball, but managed to forge a great career here. I've been rewatching alot of old Arsenal games, and Gilberto is comfortably just as bad as De Jong in his distribution.

Hoya

Just no. Not an Arsenal player, I doubt Wenger would ever consider signing such a player anyways, it would go against his philosophy and he would be seen as a huge hypocrite (for crying, mostly rightfully, about teams kicking us around the pitch). De Jong is the epitome of that.

Very physically gifted, but that **** van Bommel is twice the footballer and the same kind of intimidator, and we don't see anyone crying for him on our team. Plus, I don't remember any remotely solid links with him in the past 2 years.

I just really doubt Wenger would sign him and frankly I support that.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
We need a player like him. If there was someone with his tenacity and destructive ability who could also pass the ball, then we would be in luck. You have to remember that Gilberto was also atrocious on the ball, but managed to forge a great career here. I've been rewatching alot of old Arsenal games, and Gilberto is comfortably just as bad as De Jong in his distribution.
Different team, different style, different time.

Gilberto was far from perfect anyway, even in that side. Who's to say we wouldn't have been more of a force in Europe if we had midfielders who were better technically, and better, more intelligent, passers of the ball?

De Jong's not even fit to lace Gilberto Silva's boots - he's just an average brute with no brain whatsoever. I hope City play him 50 times next season, however unlikely that now seems.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Maybe, but we still need a player like him. It doesn't necessarily have to be De Jong but I can't think of anyone who has his destructive qualities, whilst also being a good footballer.

ricky1985

Established Member
What do you mean by "we need a player like him"?

A player who runs around brainlessly, putting his foot in (legally or otherwise), making "great" crunching tackles?

......and then on top of that can't pass a ball accurately or intelligently under even the slightest bit of pressure.

We need to press as a team, it's not about getting one player in who will make a difference. It's about the team cohesively and intelligently moving to close teams down as aggressively and as quickly as possible.

Humble Rex

Established Member
I´d take De Jong or Kompany from City in a heartbeat if they are looking to offload this summer. Both of them would improve us IMO and it would give Wenger more possibilities when picking a team for different opponents.

Playing a midfield with Song, De Jong/Kompany, Cesc when playing tough opponents, and a midfield of Song, Diaby/Denilson/Ramsey and Cesc in "easier" games.

To have some reliable back-up/proper competion for Song as first choice in the DM role wouldn´t be a bad thing either.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
DeJong allows the so called 'players' to play. He is great at breaking up play, imposing himself and winning tackles. If we had him and Song in midfield we would hardly conceed space never mind goals! and the likes of Cesc, Arshavin, Nasri, Vela and Theo could run riot with little defensive duty.

Humble Rex

Established Member
ricky1985 said:

A player who runs around brainlessly, putting his foot in (legally or otherwise), making "great" crunching tackles?

......and then on top of that can't pass a ball accurately or intelligently under even the slightest bit of pressure.

We need to press as a team, it's not about getting one player in who will make a difference. It's about the team cohesively and intelligently moving to close teams down as aggressively and as quickly as possible.

I disagree with the first two bolded bits.

I think De Jong is positionally better than everybody currently in our midfield, and he is not a poor passer, he just keeps things simple and moves the ball along. Nothing wrong with that IMO, since he seems aware of his limitations.

Regarding the 3rd bolded part, De Jong would be one more player who would bring us closer to that very objective, "press like a team".

outlaw_member

Established Member
ricky1985 said:

Yeah, a player of that capability. Let's face it, we're never going to be able to press effectively as a team. Largely, because most of our opponents will bypass it by a single long pass, and to a lesser extent, the unlikelihood that Wenger could implement such cohesion, intelligence and tactical understanding without signing new personnel. What we need is someone who can embody destruction, so that he can somewhat coerce players into emulating him.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, June 4

Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow could be acquired for little over €10m [The Athletic]

Other clubs believe Arsenal are in position to sign Benjamin Šeško [The Athletic]

Arsenal are not expected to pursue their interest in Bruno Guimaraes due to his £100m asking price [The Athletic]

Martin Zubimendi and Joao Neves are under consideration as potential signings in midfield [The Athletic]

Arsenal want £30m to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with several Premier League clubs interested [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom