• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nigel de Jong

Vela

Established Member
Wouldn't be against it if we couldn't sign M'Vila. But it's the Daily Mail remember, last week they said Capoue was our back up option if we didn't sign M'Vila.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd be underwhelmed if he was our main midfield signing this summer, he's a good player but we need better IMO.

kenkbc2

Seeing him line up against whichever team that thug Barton will be going to next season would be worth the price of his transfer fee.

One kick and...boom!!, bye-bye Mr Twitter Man, Joey. 8))

On a serious note, seems to tick all the boxes. Regarding his wages, if he's going to help take us to the next level in both our defensive play (by protecting the back 4) as well as offensively (by freeing the likes of Song, Arteta, JW, or Kagawa), then why not. We should be able to afford it..considering the wages players like Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, Chamakh, etc are on.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Apart from his defensive duties he offers absolutely zero creativity and I'd imagine he'd offer nothing going forward, his passing is lackluster and his passing range is under par, it makes Denilson look like Xavi.

We have a system where all three midfielders have to contribute in some way or form, be it with silk passing, vision or goalscoring threat. De Jong is not the solution, it's M'Vila.

D.N.W.!!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
From M'vila to De jong are you serious?

well this is arsenal he is good defensive midfield and i will not say no.

dpt49

Established Member
He is not the most skillful player, but is a good DM and would add the steel to our midfield that has been lacking since players like Petit, Vieira and to some extent Gilberto.

I would still prefer M'Vila, and I hope we are not turning our attention to De Jong because he is the cheaper option.

Why don't we go for the best, rather than the best bargain.

Surely we're not that hard up, are we?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Gotta be insane to turn this down if it's possibly. Huge upgrade on Song defensively, and considering most of your defensive problems is from the lack of support from the midfield you'd think this guy would be a quick fix for it.

He'd also allow you to have a more offensive midfield overall. He could easily hold himself while Wilshere and a new signing storms forward, giving them much more freedom up front.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He'd be a class signing, a proper defensive shield but do not understate his technical ability - he used to be a wide player with a few skills!

Would rather M'Villa but would be happy with DeJong as long as it meant we spent money elsewhere on the team.

The Escaped Ape

I can only assume this rumour has been leaked by Arsenal and is intended to put pressure on M'Vila somehow (or by De Jong's agent to generate interest). No way we're going to pay De Jong's wages, which I assume, this being City, are astronomical by our standards.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
De Jong is class, not sure why certain people on here are turning their noses up...

Does he not have as many 94%+ pass completion mathces as the magical M'Vila or something?

Proven quality DM in the premiership. I would say yes in a heart beat if we can afford.

GDeep™

League is very weak
One of my top 3 fave non gooners alongside Terry and Barton. M'Vila is the better player and will only get better but De Jong would an equally exciting signing - a young, proven, tough, disciplined DM who could walk into our team and give us 7/8/9 out of 10 performances every week. Wasn't long ago that he was 'the man' at City, but since the World Cup final his status at City and generally has declined.

All that said though, we never sign top players from fellow premiership teams, so I can't really get excited.

dpt49

Established Member
GDeep said:
One of my top 3 fave non gooners alongside Terry and Barton. M'Vila is the better player and will only get better but De Jong would an equally exciting signing - a young, proven, tough, disciplined DM who could walk into our team and give us 7/8/9 out of 10 performances every week. Wasn't long ago that he was 'the man' at City, but since the World Cup final his status at City and generally has declined.

All that said though, we never sign top players from fellow premiership teams, so I can't really get excited.
"One of my top 3 fave non gooners alongside Terry and Barton" :shock:

Apart from that sentence, I agree with the rest of your post.

Bossa

Established Member
Favourite non-gooners: Terry, Barton and De Jong?

These are probably the most hated players in England.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Good to see the Arsenal sense of humour still working well...

Kwaku

I would take him to Arsenal if he wanted to leave City. I would start him ahead of Barry to be honest, I do not see what Barry offers City that De Jong can't.

AFC-Phil

Established Member
Kwaku said:
I would take him to Arsenal if he wanted to leave City. I would start him ahead of Barry to be honest, I do not see what Barry offers City that De Jong can't.

The ability to pass the ball forward.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom