• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,883
  • Views 527,332
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Time to say Lyon players are overrated.

Apart from Mercedes Benz, who really blew up after leaving Lyon? Aulas has been rinsing Europe's elite (and Sp**s) for years.

Essien was top tier. There were other very good players too like Mahamadou Diarra, Eric Abidal, Malouda, Pjanic, Wiltord and even more recently Guimarães and Ferland Mendy.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Essien was top tier. There were other very good players too like Mahamadou Diarra, Eric Abidal, Malouda, Pjanic, Wiltord and even more recently Guimarães and Ferland Mendy.
It’s 50/50 with Lyon, it’s the same with Lille- there’s some players there even now that would improve the team.

Arsenal fans just stuck on Laca really.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It’s 50/50 with Lyon, it’s the same with Lille- there’s some players there even now that would improve the team.

Arsenal fans just stuck on Laca really.

Indeed. I wasn’t a massive Laca fan but I don’t see how a whole team can be rubbed out because of one or two signings that didn’t work out, if that was the case then pretty much all the teams in Europe would be in the same bracket.

I’d still take the likes of Paqueta, Caqueret and probably Cherki even though the latter two didn’t really have their best season last year but the talent is there.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Essien is probably the best after Benzema. Both top class. Wiltord and Diarra that's like 20 years ago? Pjanic has not been great apart from Roma. Abidal the best from that list for me. Guimaraes still all to prove, but will definitely be important for a team like Newcastle. May need to refresh my Malouda memory, but not high up the list from my memory. Mendy done well at Madrid.

Juninho probably my favorite Lyon player, though he never moved up from there, so who knows if he could do it without L1 discount.

Everytime a player does well at Lyon they get hyped up on AM. Hardly any have fulfilled their potential after their move.

Most players are usually moved on or become fringe after a couple seasons. There is a lot of hype around these guys when they peak in L1. Fekir, Aouar (still no suitors?), Laca (I always defended him and think he's done well for how we utilized him), Tolisso, Ndombele, Dembele, Depay, Cornet.

Good players, lots of talent, but definitely overrated.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Essien is probably the best after Benzema. Both top class. Wiltord and Diarra that's like 20 years ago? Pjanic has not been great apart from Roma. Abidal the best from that list for me. Guimaraes still all to prove, but will definitely be important for a team like Newcastle. May need to refresh my Malouda memory, but not high up the list from my memory. Mendy done well at Madrid.

Juninho probably my favorite Lyon player, though he never moved up from there, so who knows if he could do it without L1 discount.

Everytime a player does well at Lyon they get hyped up on AM. Hardly any have fulfilled their potential after their move.

Most players are usually moved on or become fringe after a couple seasons. There is a lot of hype around these guys when they peak in L1. Fekir, Aouar (still no suitors?), Laca (I always defended him and think he's done well for how we utilized him), Tolisso, Ndombele, Dembele, Depay, Cornet.

I dunno man, it’s kinda like saying Southampton players are overrated because not every player is Mane and Bale was years ago.

Lyon is a better club to buy from than most, they do ok. I don’t think Aulas’ ability to negotiate should be held against the players. Same with Lille, sometimes you get hazard, sometimes Gervinho.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I think @carlito'sway would strongly disagree with that comment 🤣🤣

Mahamadou Diarra made his move to Real Madrid at roughly around the same time that Essien went to Chelsea tbf. They were a very dangerous team to come up against in the CL during those periods.

Pjanic was one I rated and I’m sure the Juve fans still regard his time there highly, I think he was quality at Juventus but the first thing that comes to everyone’s mind is the terrible move he made to Barcelona however they forget that he was regressing the season before he made the move. I remember AW was keen on him when he was coming through the ranks:

Pjanic, who had already rejected Arsenal while still a budding young prospect at French club Lyon, was earmarked by Tottenham as a successor to Luka Modric after his move to Real Madrid.

He told The Telegraph: 'You want to know the names? They were Arsenal and Tottenham.

'There was the opportunity [to join Tottenham] but at that moment I told them I was happy where I was and that's why we didn't sign the deal.

Malouda was a good player too, I’d class his stint at Chelsea very successful. IIRC it was under Ancelotti in 2009/10 when he scored 15 goals and got 15 assists in that season.

I agree it’s a bit hit and miss in terms of the talents coming through their ranks but it’s normal especially when you look at the amount of players that are being produced by them or they give a chance to. How many teams around Europe have done similar and had a high success rate? I’d say hardly any. Not many teams can chat to them when it comes to selling players and profiting on them.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I dunno man, it’s kinda like saying Southampton players are overrated because not every player is Mane and Bale was years ago.

I’d say there isn’t a plethora of good or quality midfielders or strikers around Europe as there were in previous years.

I think in general football has gone down a level but I don’t even what to start that debate again :lol:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Shame ndombele moved to Sp**s guy is a baller would have loved him here
Guy just can’t put the donuts down apparently. To be fair, most people in the world would lose motivation if they got £200k a week guaranteed for the next 5 years.

Think we need to calm down when we criticise these ballers.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Time to say Lyon players are overrated.

Apart from Mercedes Benz, who really blew up after leaving Lyon? Aulas has been rinsing Europe's elite (and Sp**s) for years.
Since benzema in 2009 to Madrid their noticable transfers are:

2011 Pjanic to Roma for 11M (good)
2012 Lloris to Sp**s for 12M (good)
2013 Lovren to Southampton for 10M (good)
2015 N’Jie to Sp**s for 14M (bad)
2016 Umtiti to Barca for 25M (bad)
2017 Lacazette to Arsenal for 53M (mediocre)
2017 Tolisso to Bayern for 41M (bad)
2018 Diaz to Madrid for 21M (buyback)
2018 Geubels to Monaco for 20M (wtf)
2018 Diakhaby to Valencia for 15M (good)
2019 Ndombele to Sp**s for 60M (haha)
2019 Mendy to Madrid for 48M (good)
2019 Tousart to Hertha for 25M (bad)
2019 Fekir to Betis for 20M (mediocre)
2020 Traore to villa for 20M (bad)

Left 2021 and 2022 out because its too early to say but I have to say Andersen to crystal palace is looking very good.

Conclusion: the time where u could get value for money for players from Lyon has long past.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Maupay might be on his way to Nottingham for 15M.

Nottingham look each new day they sign new player. It's seriously crazy

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Since benzema in 2009 to Madrid their noticable transfers are:

2011 Pjanic to Roma for 11M (good)
2012 Lloris to Sp**s for 12M (good)
2013 Lovren to Southampton for 10M (good)
2015 N’Jie to Sp**s for 14M (bad)
2016 Umtiti to Barca for 25M (bad)
2017 Lacazette to Arsenal for 53M (mediocre)
2017 Tolisso to Bayern for 41M (bad)
2018 Diaz to Madrid for 21M (buyback)
2018 Geubels to Monaco for 20M (wtf)
2018 Diakhaby to Valencia for 15M (good)
2019 Ndombele to Sp**s for 60M (haha)
2019 Mendy to Madrid for 48M (good)
2019 Tousart to Hertha for 25M (bad)
2019 Fekir to Betis for 20M (mediocre)
2020 Traore to villa for 20M (bad)

Left 2021 and 2022 out because its too early to say but I have to say Andersen to crystal palace is looking very good.

Conclusion: the time where u could get value for money for players from Lyon has long past.
I think they just know how to get good money from thier talent. Cherki and Terrier to move next and they'll easily get 60m from both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom