• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pablo Mari: Dream signing or NightMari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yep there's fair enough. But I don't, and have never claimed that I want us to go out and buy super stars, the opposite in fact.

I want us to try and find players that aren't quite known yet but through good scouting and identification we can see become good. We don't have the money so it's really the best strategy at the moment.

I don't want Willian, Cedric or Luiz type signings.

I much prefer Torreira, Gabriel, Martinelli and even Mari type signings. And look, they won't all work (Torreira) but it's a much better plan for the long term.

I keep saying this over and over; it's the profile that counts the most and even if Willian turns it around (which is definitely possible, let's not deny) that's not the point, the point is the type of moves we are trying to make to then do stuff like compete in the CL in three years time.

What you're suggesting will give us average squad age of something like 22-23 years. That's not good idea if you want to compete. Age brings certain mental things and you need leaders in the dressing room.

For example Luiz is a leader, even if suspect in performances sometimes. I still don't think he has been bad. He was crucial for example in the FA Cup run. Willian has for sure thus far.

Also we have great youth players coming in, so cheap older players can do a role for couple of years.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

What you're suggesting will give us average squad age of something like 23 years. That's not good idea if you want to compete. Age brings certain mental things and you need leaders in the dressing room.

For example Luiz is a leader, even if suspect in performances sometimes. I still don't think he has been bad. He was crucial for example in the FA Cup run. Willian has for sure thus far.

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of competing. I think we're doing ok, and I suppose the FA cup is the one tick in favour of the experienced players we've signed.

But I don't know if everything we've done regards to the short term has really paid dividends, would you say it's been worth it? I don't think so, YMMV though.

Also bringing in a some solid experienced players is completely fine; Aubameyang and Partey have been good for example.

But if we are going to spend big money on solid experienced players then I'd rather we "cheap out" on the younger players we can build rather than acquiring oldies that won't take us forward LT.

drippin

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of competing. I think we're doing ok, and I suppose the FA cup is the one tick in favour of the experienced players we've signed.

But I don't know if everything we've done regards to the short term has really paid dividends, would you say it's been worth it? I don't think so, YMMV though.

Also bringing in a some solid experienced players is completely fine; Aubameyang and Partey have been good for example.

But if we are going to spend big money on solid experienced players then I'd rather we "cheap out" on the younger players we can build rather than acquiring oldies that won't take us forward LT.

Younger good players are usually more expensive than the deals we have got.

We have great youth setup, so no need to buy too many young players, to block their path.

We need to invest in starting quality, and keep the backup's good enough, while trying to get youth players to become starters or taking the older backup's positions.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Younger good players are usually more expensive than the deals we have got.

We have great youth setup, so no need to buy too many young players, to block their path.

We need to invest in starting quality, and keep the backup's good enough, while trying to get youth players to become starters or taking the older backup's positions.

Well yes the popular ones, which is why I said we should try to find players that aren't quite as known yet (which obviously isn't easy but I suppose that's where those at the club can earn their money).

But I'll admit it's still true that we'd likely not get them quite as cheap as for free lol.

The flip side is that their wages would be considerably less (and the sign on fees for "free" players might be quite a bit of money anyway), and instead of potentially hampering us LT (depending on the contract) the hope is that they'd improve us, or atleast be assets which hopefully we'd sell at the right time and re-invest.

drippin

Well yes the popular ones, which is why I said we should try to find players that aren't quite as known yet (which obviously isn't easy but I suppose that's where those at the club can earn their money).

But I'll admit it's still true that we'd likely not get them quite as cheap as for free lol.

The flip side is that their wages would be considerably less (and the sign on fees for "free" players might be quite a bit of money anyway), and instead of potentially hampering us LT (depending on the contract) the hope is that they'd improve us, or atleast be assets which hopefully we'd sell at the right time and re-invest.

I know what you mean and it can work better in some cases. Like I talked with someone who said he'd rather Lewis kind of transfer than Bertrand for 3 years. It was surprisingly even "transfer fee" amount, especially considering that you can't sell Bertrand.

But the good young players don't necessarily want to come as bench warmers for someone like Tierney. It will hamper their development. So you might need to overpay.

Also the idea is to get EPL proven players. A younger might, or might not perform. EPL proven player has this risk also, but it is much much smaller risk.

EPL proven players are much more likely to get us UCL or UEL, and that is worth at least 30 million, and that is not only about money.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I know what you mean and it can work better in some cases. Like I talked with someone who said he'd rather Lewis kind of transfer than Bertrand for 3 years. It was surprisingly even "transfer fee" amount, especially considering that you can't sell Bertrand.

But the good young players don't necessarily want to come as bench warmers for someone like Tierney. It will hamper their development. So you might need to overpay.

Also the idea is to get EPL proven players. A younger might, or might not perform. EPL proven player has this risk also, but it is much much smaller risk.

EPL proven players are much more likely to get us UCL or UEL, and that is worth at least 30 million, and that is not only about money.

Very fair points.

And certainly, young players carry a risk, it'd be disingenuous for me to say otherwise.

The ideal is like a Sven at Dortmund or Rangnick at RB which is sort of the dream I have but if I'm being really really honest there are potential problems, like whether that idea would even work with our league and I do completely acknowledge that it's not exactly easy (otherwise everyone would do it).

Also signing oldies isn't always a bad strategy, like I think Juve did it on their way back, and won leagues that way. Cavani has been quite astute and Thiago Silva from last I heard is getting good reviews from Chelsea fans.

If I examine my thinking, I do think I've been burned a bit by the "agent Chelseas" too. But I would honestly still rather us move away from those type of signings.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
Probably an unpopular opinion as he didn't cost 50 million, but what a steal he's turning out to be, has everything you want in a centre back, is strong, composed and can play out from the back. Just needs to stay fit.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
can play out from the back.
Not entirely sure about this part yet. His passing was absolutely awful against City. Hoping it was just one of those days though as the rest of the team could hardly pass a ball between them either yesterday.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was really decent against city don't act over his ability but for a backup he can do a job without problems for 7m euros i believe it's very good signing

His technique, heading and composure is the best of our CBs. I certainly don’t see him as backup.

pikey2000

Looks composed and seems to always be well positioned, doesn't appear to make too many mistakes either, only real downside is pace, for the price he's done far better than i thought he would, if we didn't have Gabriel he'd be a starter at LCB for me and even with Gabriel i'd say he was close to on a par with him.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Wrong decision making on the first goal, but afterwards class and a really good game.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I thought he was terrible last week and then he went and made that mistake for the Leicester goal but full credit for him turning it around after that. Never gave Vardy a sniff.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Mari didn't make mistake for Leicester goal he was dropping back to keep up with vardy it was Elneny Job to put more pressure on Tielemans if Mari put pressure on Tielemans it'll be easy tap in for vardy. Still even since that he had comfertable game vardy didn't cause trouble

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Mari got unfairly tarnished with his links to Edu and Raul( I'm pretty sure a close associate of Raul is his agent) and the fact Arteta liked him from his Man City days, before he'd even kicked a ball for us.

Injuries probably didn't help matters either but he's turning into a very shrewd piece of business. You can't ask for more from a back up CB. I really like him.

Opinions on both he and Cedric seem to have done a 180 which is nice. Two, solid dependable squad players.

Last edited:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Mari didn't make mistake for Leicester goal he was dropping back to keep up with vardy it was Elneny Job to put more pressure on Tielemans if Mari put pressure on Tielemans it'll be easy tap in for vardy. Still even since that he had comfertable game vardy didn't cause trouble
Of course he did, Luiz had Vardy covered and he totally backed off tielemans. Credit to him for recovering so well from that error though.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Mari got unfairly tarnished with his links to Edu and Kia ( I'm pretty sure a close associate of Kia is his agent) and the fact Arteta liked him from his Man City days, before he'd even kicked a ball for us.

Injuries probably didn't help matters either but he's turning into a very shrewd piece of business. You can't ask for more from a back up CB. I really like him.

Opinions on both he and Cedric seem to have done a 180 which is nice. Two, solid dependable squad players.
All the Kia signings looked good today, Cedric, Mari, Luiz, Willian. Kia fc.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Don't think Mari was Kia signing. He not represented by Kia it was more edu signing still very good backup for money to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom