• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Patrick Vieira

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When we talk about legends at this football club, we think of iconic players who symbolised a generation of success. Few personify this more than Patrick Vieira. He arrived as a relative unknown from AC Milan's reserves in 1996 - a gangly young footballer with a distinctive, dominant style of player. Every time Arsenal were facing a counter attack, you would see those telescopic legs somehow catch whoever it was that thought they were getting away. Surrounded by 3 or 4 opponents, a ball dropping from the sky, he would muscle them off before calmly chesting the ball down, flicking it over their heads, and igniting another blistering Arsenal attack. He won 3 Premier League titles and 3 FA Cups, as well as breaking into the best French team of all time and becoming widely renowned as the best all round central midfielder in the world.

He left in strange circumstances in 2005. An extremely underwhelming final season was followed by a swift departure to Juventus and Serie A was greeted with mixed emotions. At the same time, I think most Gooners wished him well and were glad that he was not joining another English team. He returned to play in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial for the opening game at the Emirates Stadium and was greeted warmly by the fans.

But....

After failing to win a new contract with Inter, he joined Man City and returned to England. Although he was now a shadow of the Vieira that we once saw at Highbury, there was something that didn't feel quite right about him playing for another team in the Premier League, least of all that lot. Then it came to his retirement. He moved straight out of playing to become some kind of director of footballing development at that club. I can imagine that financially for him and his family, it makes a lot of sense, but football wise, I can't help but feel a little bit like he's sold his soul.

He is now regularly seen and heard talking up Manchester City and their prospects over other clubs, like Arsenal. It doesn't feel right. Am I the only one who feels that no matter how much money someone offered a guy like Thierry Henry, he would never have accepted? Is it wrong to feel indifferent towards a guy who helped us to so much success just because he is now working for such a resentful football club which has foregone all morals to achieve similar success? Your thoughts please.

Rorz

Established Member
I don't really have anything against Vieira for the way he acts at City, he obviously likes it there and is being paid very well for what he does. Do you really expect him to keep bigging up Arsenal when he's being employed by one of our rivals? It may not sit well with us after all the years and trophies we got out of him but I'm sure Arsenal will always be important to him.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Loved him as a player obviously. Was never my favorite personality though, just never really took to him for some reason.

Raider

Established Member
Class player. Class leader. Legendary Arsenal player.

Bit of a **** towards us since he left. Signing for City and then staying their as a coach after he retired.

Also a **** cause he said previously that he wished he moved away from us earlier. Have some respect.

outlaw_member

Established Member
People are far too blinded by trophies in order to rationally assess a former players legacy. I too did not particularly like Vieira when he was at the club.

mistaT

Established Member
Love him, we've been seriously missing a player with the balls to stand up to our opposition since he left.

Not a single player on our team has the grit, determination and courage of him.

The current lot would all cower in Keane's presence, much like they do every time we're put under any serious pressure.

Mark

Established Member
He's never been a fan like Henry is, but I think on the pitch he was more comitted and more of a leader than Henry was when we needed him. Remains a legend in my eyes as he was just a fantastic player, doesn't really matter what he does afterwards.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He retired from football and chose to work for Man City for a huge salary. What's the problem? I don't see it as a snub at all, and he owes Arsenal nothing. I wish him well.

Best mdfielder I've ever seen.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Mark said:
He's never been a fan like Henry is, but I think on the pitch he was more comitted and more of a leader than Henry was when we needed him. Remains a legend in my eyes as he was just a fantastic player, doesn't really matter what he does afterwards.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Viera will always remian an Arsenal legend. Same as Wrighty, despite his media criticism of Arsenal.

qs

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
People are far too blinded by trophies in order to rationally assess a former players legacy. I too did not particularly like Vieira when he was at the club.

Thats because you loved Chelsea back then.

burnsjed

Established Member
How could anyone not love this guy while he was playing for us?!
Would be one of the first names on my all time Arsenal team, and I have been going for an awful long time!
He would also be the first midfield player on my team sheet, loved him, and his commitment on the field.
He was the engine that drove us forward in our pomp, and though I have nothing against Cesc, and don't wish him ill, would rather him in my team every day of the week.
Don't have any problem with what he is doing now, and is there any confirmation we were even after him as a coach?

outlaw_member

Established Member
qs said:
outlaw_member said:

Thats because you loved Chelsea back then.

:lol:

When you had characters like Pires, Ljungberg and Henry in the team, it was EASY not to fall for a big black bully.

burnsjed said:

There's a difference between loving a player, and rating him. You can't choose which players you want to love, and which ones you don't. It just happens naturally. I was far too busy checking out Henry and Pires, for me to grow any real personal affection for Vieira. It's perfectly normal. I used to wait in anticipation of Henry and Pires receiving the ball back in those days, so everyone else was almost a blur.

burnsjed

Established Member
For me he was the heart of the team, and had already established himself before Henry's arrival.
And lets be fair, Pat was always more than 'a big black bully'.
Bergkamp was always the player I loved the most during that period, but I had most appreciation for what Vieira brought to the team, I honestly believe that though he was not undervalued, I am not sure his contribution to the team was given the credit it should.
Everyone was too busy looking at Henry and Pires, and passing over the glue that held everything together.
But each to their own.

scytheavatar

Established Member
burnsjed said:

Because he's the original model of loyalty to our club? Because he disgustingly whored himself out to Madrid season after season, not now when we are trophy-less and a joke but back at our prime? A reminder, we finished 2004/2005 unbeaten and yet he was as close to joining Madrid at the end of that season as Cesc is to joining Barca now. It would be hypocrisy to hate Cesc for telling everyone how much he wants to join Barca and not hate Vieira, when he pretty much did the same thing, pushing for a move to Madrid season after season.

brady_style

outlaw_member said:

Because that is the most rational assessment of a player I've ever seen.

outlaw_member

Established Member
That's not a contradiction. There's a clear distinction between how much you personally favour a player, and how strong/weak you think his legacy at the club is. My own personal feelings towards Vieira does not in anyway impact how highly I view his time here at the club, something which most people are guilty are of, i.e. allowing their emotions to dictate how they perceive a former Arsenal players career.

On a side note, I can't believe how any could take my comment about Vieira being a big black bully seriously. Bloody hell.

burnsjed

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
burnsjed said:

Because he's the original model of loyalty to our club? Because he disgustingly whored himself out to Madrid season after season, not now when we are trophy-less and a joke but back at our prime? A reminder, we finished 2004/2005 unbeaten and yet he was as close to joining Madrid at the end of that season as Cesc is to joining Barca now. It would be hypocrisy to hate Cesc for telling everyone how much he wants to join Barca and not hate Vieira, when he pretty much did the same thing, pushing for a move to Madrid season after season.

You also need to remember that not everything you read in the press is true.
The stories regarding Vieira use to surface every summer while he was out of the country on holiday, circulated by his agent at the time, an agent that Vieira eventually lost patience with and fired due to this.

For the record I have no ill-feeling towards Cesc, after all we are talking about players, they are not supporters like us.
The current position we find ourselves in is creating a lot of frustration
on the board, and a lot of that can be found in the Cesc thread in transfers.

It does raise the question on how you evaluate a legend, but that will very much depend on the individual.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's Vieira doing his new job. Citeh is on the rise, no doubt.

If Adams led Portsmouth into CL and kept beating Arsenal in the league, no gooners would feel too pleasant.

The real problem is with Wenger and his team's false promises. Had the team won a trophy or two in the recent years, we wouldn't feel so.... (pick your word) about Vieira.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury
Top Bottom