• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
How do I explain this best...I am not even talking about pressing from a tactical standpoint. I am alluding to first line defense, watch most encounters between Aubameyang and defenders, he rarely makes them uncomfortable.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

How can you talk about pressing and defending from a non tactical stndpoint? Your first line of defense can only be understood in the context of the whole defensive approach. Alexis was the best example of this: He did what you apparently constantly want your "first line of defence" to do - engage opposition players - but as he did that he went against the tactical setup of the team, thus actually creating space behind him for them to exploit nullifying himself as first line of defence and just looking like an idiot.

Apart from few instances we actually haven't seen high pressing or gegenpressing from Emery's Arsenal, but a more compact approach. So Auba's held back behaviour actually fits in with the overall defensive tactics. It could also be that Auba is instructed not to press that much but to just keep the shape tight or close off passing lanes so the second wave does the actual engaging/pressing and with Auba higher up the pitch they instantly have an outlet to release when winning the ball. There's a couple of options why Auba doesn't outright engange opposition player, but to just make a statement like "he doesn't press" or "he can't press" is outright wrong, when we in fact have seen him do it regularly at his last club - when he was instructed to by his managers.

ksarp

Arsenal fans love throwing their players under the bus..It's weird to me how Auba gets so much criticism but Lacazette gets so much love for doing even less.

He fluffed a penalty against our biggest rivals..it wasn't that he missed, it was that his body language suggested zero confidence from the get go. In my opinion, it warrants the ire of the fanbase. That said, if anyone on this team needs to hear some love from the fans on Sunday, it's Aubameyang. We need to lift him up as his confidence is low at the moment.

This myth of "hold up play" (which I don't think people know the meaning of) has confused everyone into thinking a striker needs to track back and get involved to be good. Nowadays you guys would hate Henry for not having 'hold up play' and not getting involved in midfield battles.

The goal against Sp**s was a classic example of why a striker needs to track back and be involved. You bring up Henry, so I am obligated to respond. What was Titi known for for years in the EPL? He was adept at dragging defenders to the edge, opening up holes in the middle. Secondly, I bet you won't find a single defender in his era who would call Tit "soft". Defenders RESPECTED Titi and he was never bullied off balls or pushed around. Can't say that for Aubameyang.

Aubameyang is a world class striker not his fault there's no wide players at Arsenal for support, all our strikers will struggle in this situation. Auba and Lacazette have both struggled with the lack of wide players.

In my humble opinion, a "World class player" finds ways to effect a game even in the face of adversity, thus disqualifying Aubameyang from that attribute.

ksarp

I don't think you know what you're talking about. .

You're probably right on that...I do know, however, that he doesn't have a "dog" in him. He wilts in the face of adversity.

How can you talk about pressing and defending from a non tactical stndpoint? Your first line of defense can only be understood in the context of the whole defensive approach. Alexis was the best example of this: He did what you apparently constantly want your "first line of defence" to do - engage opposition players - but as he did that he went against the tactical setup of the team, thus actually creating space behind him for them to exploit nullifying himself as first line of defence and just looking like an idiot. .

Again, let's start simple. Watch very closely, his encounters in a defensive role, regardless of position on the pitch.

Apart from few instances we actually haven't seen high pressing or gegenpressing from Emery's Arsenal, but a more compact approach. So Auba's held back behaviour actually fits in with the overall defensive tactics. It could also be that Auba is instructed not to press that much but to just keep the shape tight or close off passing lanes so the second wave does the actual engaging/pressing and with Auba higher up the pitch they instantly have an outlet to release when winning the ball. There's a couple of options why Auba doesn't outright engange opposition player, but to just make a statement like "he doesn't press" or "he can't press" is outright wrong, when we in fact have seen him do it regularly at his last club - when he was instructed to by his managers.

My observations are entirely based on his body of work as an arsenal player, not what he's done prior.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
You're probably right on that...I do know, however, that he doesn't have a "dog" in him. He wilts in the face of adversity.

Again, let's start simple. Watch very closely, his encounters in a defensive role, regardless of position on the pitch.

My observations are entirely based on his body of work as an arsenal player, not what he's done prior.

I'm out:rolleyes:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Doesn't seem like the type to suffer from confidence issues. Fully expect him to get back on the score sheet this weekend. I'd like to see him wide and up against Young. Start Mkhi as well as he may have a point tom prove.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Might seem obvious but the only thing Auba can do now to shut up all the doubters is to start scoring again. Vs Rennes it seemed like he was still suffering from the penalty miss, but hopefully he can put that behind him. Probably won't start tomorrow but if he gets a chance off the bench then I'm sure he'll take his chance.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Might seem obvious but the only thing Auba can do now to shut up all the doubters is to start scoring again. Vs Rennes it seemed like he was still suffering from the penalty miss, but hopefully he can put that behind him. Probably won't start tomorrow but if he gets a chance off the bench then I'm sure he'll take his chance.
I’m backing him too but also a bit afraid for his confidence after watching him play in his head against Rennes. I can easily see him fluff his lines again on a sitter Sunday. It’s a worry, because he isn’t exactly a young talent that should grow over his doubts. Let’s hope for the best!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I couldn't believe it when I saw him taking the penalty today, took absolute balls of steel. Hopefully he can relax a bit now and can start scoring regularly again.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The thread when he stepped up to take it was hilarious. Glad he scored.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Happy for him, and in the overall picture, glad that he didn't shy away from the responsibility when it would have been easier for him to decline to take it. Shows that he has character, confidence in his ability, and that he is not afraid of the big moments.

Having said that, I would rather Laca or someone else take the pens from now on. His pens just don't fill you with confidence, and leaves too much to chance.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Hope he's not on penalties ever again.

I wish we could fuse Aubameyang and Lacazette we'd have a complete striker then, basically Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom