• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Aston Villa | 15/11/08

Biggus

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs Aston Villa | EPL | 15/11/08 | 15:00

mags said:
In the latter stages of the game, the camera shows a close up side view of AW yelling "Cesc" "Cesc", and I got the impression that Cesc did not turn to or acknowledge AW....

Forget about Cesc Mags, mentally he's already packing his bags.

TomasCR

Established Member

At least it´s just mentally. Who knows how long it will take until we see him doing so physically.

kamikaze80

Established Member

essien, mikel, ballack, hargreaves, carrick, possibly fletcher, alonso, mascherano, sidwell, barry, reo-coker, maybe osman, maybe parker, cahill, l diarra, m johnson, palacios is close to 20.

i dont care how old denilson is, i know wenger doesnt. if youre good enough, youre old enough, but if youre not good enough, you should be on the bench.

True Gooner

Established Member

I think that list is harsh Kami. ;)

Not that I care tbh, Denilson is not doing his job and can be replaced if Wenger really puts his mind to the task.

TomasCR

Established Member

That´s it! And who has the right to put you on the bench if you´re not good enough? A manager, who we are going to throw all the blame at then? You know the answer...

Denilson has got far too many bad responses from the fans. It´s not like he doesn´t want enough, it´s just he can´t do more.

James

Established Member

I haven't see the game, or any highlights, just the goals. From what i've heard, i can build a good enough picture of the performance in my head, going by our previous experiences of this gutless side. We knew going into the season that our midfield wasn't going to be strong enough, and yet again...****ing hell, it's like a broken ****ing record.

I can't believe i just let this side build my hopes up again on the back of last weekend. We all knew it was too good to be true, but just that bit of me thought MAYBE this was where we turned it around. What a load of bollocks.

DOUBLE-YOU

i have just seen the game and i am surprised how sloppy we were through out. rarely have i seen clichy play so bad. the whole back four were poor. these are our most experienced players and they didn't show up. once again everyone is blaming denilson for the teams poor performance, but everyone played poorly it wasn't just him. everwhere on the pitch we were out thought and out fought. it looked like the team was out the previous night.

usually we lose through missing chances, today we just didn't create. bendtner was played as a lone striker but he was never in the box enough. he also had no support when the ball arrived to him, although we never got the ball to him. i think we made it easy for villa starting with just one up front. from what i saw, walcott looked our best attacker but he didn't have the end product.

i will give credit to villa. they played really well. agbonlahor and ashley young were a constant problem and sidwell done well to disrupt our flow. to be honest they could have won by more.

kanooo

I'm not sure if my expectation of this team has been lowered considerably or not but I think we didn't play as bad as the Hull game or the Stoke game actually.

I think Villa are due more credit for the win rather than our own performance.

We may have to accept the inevitable now and just see them try to get at least 4th. Despite all this, I think we still have enough to nick the 4th place.

With Everton also not doing quite as well, Villa are the only team that may challenge us for the 4th place and even they are inconsistant.

General

Established Member

Just been watching a replay and Ade looked very animated on the bench, particularly after one of Bendtner's fukups. He probably was saying that Bendtner was hopeless. I remember the fracas against the yiddos in the CC last season all started because Ade said Bendtner was rubbish when he came on.

sabret00the

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
kamikaze80 said:
i agree, our transitions from defence to attack take way too long, and our forwards dont get support quickly enough. we need more men streaming into the box, dragging defenders, being dynamic.

kel is right, denilson's passing is woeful. he may have a high completion rate, but that doesnt tell you about his pass selection (how many times did he pass it to cesc standing 7 feet away from him), how long it takes him to pick out that pass, and how slowly he hits the pass (putting the receiver under unnecessary pressure).

and appaarently, tracking midfield runs from sidwell and barry wasnt in denilson's job description cause he, once again, failed to do so and we really shouldve been punished for it in the first half.

this guy is a joke and i cant believe people cant see it. i'm fairly certain i could name 20 premiership CMs that i'd rather have at the club right now.

What worries me the most is how Wenger doesn't see this. Denilson was warming the benxh of our Carling Cup team against Blackburn last season, and now he's suddenly supposed to fill Flamini's boots?!

I lost countof the number of times the ball either sailed over his head or the number of times he received the ball and passed it sideways to a guy 2 yards from hm
where are the runners? also even if he's half as bad as the people on here seem to think he is, you can't drop him when he's out performing the person who plays in the same position as him and is considered our star player. your only hope in seeing denilson dropped is for wenger to have the balls to drop cesc too.

Anzac

Established Member

General said:
Anzac said:
I recall similar comments being made after Bendtner came on in a match this season, that the dynamic changed & our attack looked up for it (Sunderland). Could it be that the REAL difference is that in both matches the substitutions changed the formation from lone striker to 2 up front - which is what we should have been playing all the bl**dy time.

Wenger did the right thing by sticking to the formation against Manure. Villa should've had no chance today had we played to the same intensity. What worries me is how easily they won the midfield battle despite the fact that we matched them for numbers. So the problem wasn't formation but the lack of real effort from key players.

Disagree - the problem with the style is that it relys upon BOTH MCs doing their job together in order to create any defensive cover. Because this has been hit & miss this season we're now consigned to weakening our attack in order to place an extra body in the midfield, which still does not eradicate our defensive issues.

The system / style does NOT suit the capabilities of the player options AW has left himself with. This season to date has shown that his faith in internal development has been misplaced, and he's NOT as good as reading his players as he'd like us to think he is. AW should just bite the bullet & play Song as a DM & be done with it. At this rate we'll be struggling to maintain CL qualification if we wait until January.

As for Diaby starting in the hole - Villa was always going to have a more defensive mentality than ManU, & our attack was not going to be afforded the same space for movement. We needed to start with 2 strikers on the field, even if the 2nd was starting from the hole.

dos1986

Established Member

bluenaz said:
kel varnsen said:
bluenaz said:
Agbonlahor apparently.
Check your pms

how so? walcott ran with the ball and didn't even run at full speed. hardly fair comparison.

They've ran against each other before and Agbonlahor was timed faster. I'm not talking about that run today.

Any link to this?

Or any idea what channel showed it/ any clue that will help me find it?

Doesnt suprise me, as I have being saying Theo's pace is over-rated for a long time.

General

Established Member

Anzac said:
Disagree - the problem with the style is that it relys upon BOTH MCs doing their job together in order to create any defensive cover. Because this has been hit & miss this season we're now consigned to weakening our attack in order to place an extra body in the midfield, which still does not eradicate our defensive issues.

The system / style does NOT suit the capabilities of the player options AW has left himself with. This season to date has shown that his faith in internal development has been misplaced, and he's NOT as good as reading his players as he'd like us to think he is. AW should just bite the bullet & play Song as a DM & be done with it. At this rate we'll be struggling to maintain CL qualification if we wait until January.

As for Diaby starting in the hole - Villa was always going to have a more defensive mentality than ManU, & our attack was not going to be afforded the same space for movement. We needed to start with 2 strikers on the field, even if the 2nd was starting from the hole.

You’d have had to have been at Colney with Pat, Boro and Wenger with all the data at hand to really formulate a valid opinion on systems. Distance covered in the previous game, individual performance, recovery period et cetera, are data you and I have no access to and they inevitably form a vital part of team set up. By all means we can question the rationality of Wenger’s decisions and thought process as well as the competence of personnel but saying “the system / style does NOT suit the capabilities of the player options AW has left himself with” is stretching it. I certainly agree with you that his faith in internal development is very much misplaced. He should’ve gone down the acquisition route for growth.

On the game itself, - Wenger hasn’t the benefit of hindsight like you and I.

A formation capable of beating United should be adequate in dealing with Villa and the decision to keep disruption to a minimum and retain the same formation was the correct one. In fact the general consensus prior to the game was to keep the same formation.

Two strikers wouldn’t have made a difference if key personnel still underperformed. Neither would they have prevented Clichy from scoring an own goal or Almunia failing to save what looked like a preventable second goal. We also lost at home to Hull with two strikers on the pitch.

Funny you say Villa were always going to have a defensive mentality because they attacked us right from the word go hence the reason I voiced concern on how easily our midfield was rendered useless, seeing as we matched them for numbers (and had technical superiority on our side(.

If you remember, we also beat them with 4-4-1-1 (Until Carew scythed down Hleb and disrupted our flow) at Villa Park last season with a lone striker and an AM.

Defeat today came by way of underperforming key personnel NOT due to formation or the absence of two strikers.

Anzac

Established Member

I dispute your first point on the system, as I dispute the system it's self. By that I mean the dual MC roles, the MCs providing the 1st response to defensive cover, the constant overlapping FBs, the poor & blind crosses, the short pass & move style in the last 3rd v deep set defences.

In addition I dispute the 4411 / 451 as anything other than a cop out formation for AW to put another body into our midfield. IMO this is where Ade is at his MOST importance for AW - he provides him with a viable option to play the lone striker. If the lone striker / 451 / 4411 with AMC is a viable formation for this club then we MUST sell half our strikers - they are not going to play & are a waste of wages, playing time etc.

I won't dispute the data re recovery time etc, as while it may be valid in regard to player selections, IMO it should have little bearing on the formation & tactics employed if your tactical vision matches your squad depth & capabilities. If they don't match then the manager has not done his job properly.

My reference to team mentalities between ManU & Villa was more to do with how many players they got forward in attack, as opposed to the general philosophy to attack. Against Utd we often found ourselves with even numbers or potential overlaps on the counter - I'd not have expected Villa to push the same numbers forward as often as ManU. Hence my preference for another striker / players with creativity & pace ahead of Diaby. For me Diaby slows our attack when involved - good for controlling a lead but not so when looking to establish a lead or when chasing the scoreline when playing a tighter defence - against ManU he had room & players moving into space.

Gunner Ossie

what's everyone so upset about, a few months ago most were claiming "Arsène knows" and that our sqaud was better than it now appears so whats changed?

its hillarious watching as members bounce in and out the optimists and pessimist camp following victories or defeats.

With regards to all these tedious arguments about partigular players playing well or badly. Heres something to consider

ramos + current squad = **** Sp**s
redknap + current sqaud = vastly improved Sp**s

Maybe its just the manager?

Biggus

Established Member

AliBabaBrewer said:
AliBabaBrewer said:
I fancy a Bendtner wonder game today

I speak s**t

Don't worry about it Ali not one of us is perfect. When Gallas first arrived, I hailed him as the perfect injection of experience that we needed at the back. :lol:

RockyRocastle

Established Member

That was as poor as I can remember for a long, long time. 4-5-1 at HOME at Aston Villa? Deary me. Why Vela who will surely be high on confidence didnt start is beyond me. If he isnt ready to start this game at 19 when will he be ready in Wenger's eyes?

Our midfield again is an utter shambles. I refuse to believe Cesc has his mind elsewhere (although he is off in the summer without a doubt). I think maybe first team football since 16 has caught up on him. He looks slow, lazy, cumbersome and his passing is all over the place. And dont get me started on Denilson.

Sidwell is miles ahead of him based on yesterday. And when our only option to come in to replace them is a 17 year old (all be it hugely talented) it exposes to total miss management of this squad.

To have lost Flamini, Gilberto and Diarra and NOT replaced them is criminal. But I sound like a broken record now as everyone has been saying this since the summer...apart from Wenger.

Pathetic.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

After seeing another inept peformance from Nik, really can't see so much of a future here for him, with Ade, RVP, Theo, Vela, Eduardo all ahead of him for me.

Agree with you Rocky bout not replacing the CM. Had been hoping someone would have stepped up as Flamini did but Denilson is just not good enough yet. Should be nowhere near the first team. Also agree about Fabregas, his form has been (by his stadnards) terrible so far.

What a season . Beat by Hull, Stoke & Fulham, then go ahead and beat United...and lose the following week again.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom