• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Manchester City | 01/02/04

gooner

It has been a long time such I have written up a preview but that is because we have play Middlesboro so much, and I was getting bored. A lot has been made about the Reyes transfer. I will be totally honest and say that I have not seen him at all except a few well-taken goals and I have read a lot of rave reviews. I have heard a lot of fans going on about how he will be the greatest signing ever. I don’t think it is fair to say that just yet, as he will have to adapt to the English game, which may take time and he still very young. I want him to be a success and I hope he makes a good partner for Henry, as Henry has deserved one for ages. I really want to see Reyes and he could make his debut this Sunday if his one match ban from Spain is not transferred over to England.

I would just like to comment on the Parker – Chelsea situation. Although he is a great young English player why doesn’t he use some common sense before he moves to Chelsea and really think about if it is really worth going to them. At Charlton he is idolised by the fans, and he is guaranteed a first team place. If he goes to Chelsea there is no guarantee that he will be in the first eleven, with Lampard and Makalele in the centre of Midfield. Another Englishman at Chelsea he should look at is Joe Cole. He is a very good player, with lots of promise but how will he fulfil his promise if he barely gets to play. It is Parker’s decision anyway, but I think it would be a wrong move for him.

Anyway, this Sunday we take on man city. Man city have bought in new players and moved in to a new ground, which I personally think looks phenomenon. Just look at how many Arsenal related players they have got or had:

Seaman – Left us at the end of last season for first team football. Has now retied.

Anelka – Former gunner who left because of his immaturity at the time.

Robbie Fowler – Was a prime target for Arsène Wenger in the past.

Wright – Phillips – The son of the legend (Ian Wright).

I do like Kevin Keegan and I do think he is a good manager and he tends to get the most out of his players and he is always honest. Man city have been having a very bad patch recently. They have been playing well but missing crucial chances, which eventually cost them the game. Against Tottenham in the first half Man city were brilliant but in the second half they were the total opposite.

Anelka doesn’t look very happy at Man city these days and although he is their main dangerous player, other Man city players need to help him. Fowler should take some pressure off Anelka’s shoulders although I hope it doesn’t start this Sunday.

Below is a list of Man City’s Key men in my opinion:

Anelka + Fowler – Key Men 1
Wright Phillips – Key Man 3
Sinclair + Barton + Reyna – Key Men 4
Distin – Key Man 5

Below is the best team line up I would go with for this match:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

Ljungberg Edu Viera Pires

Reyes/Bergkamp Henry

Man city will desperately want to beat us because of the way we have tortured them for the last few seasons they will really be up for it especially as they need a good result a.s.a.p and will want to learn from their mistakes. I am guessing that this will be a closer match then people think. At the end of the day the team that want it more will win and hopefully that will be Arsenal.

Right I know that has been a very long preview, now people give me your views about my preview as well as your own responses.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Man City are having a shocking run of form, they haven't won a league game in 10 or 11 now, amazing considering the pairing they have up front. Their defence is shakey, and I don't see them changing their run of form tommorrow, i reckon they'll score but i can see Arsenal putting 4 past them.

4-1 Arsenal.

bencey

good preview as usual gooner, vieira is suspended though so i would like to see edu partner ray for that grit in midfield against barton and reyna

thegame24

Established Member
i was just about to disagree with 6-0, but then i remeber the last time i agreed with you on a bizarre result we got it and then some. we said 4-1 vs inter. how wrong we were eh!

one thing though. our defence ALWAYS seems to concede even when 4-0 up i do think we SHOULD destroy them but i reckon they will score also.

quattro

man city have been struggling lately, and as much as anelka is saying to the press how good he is now i dont see that as anything that will make much difference in this game.

henry is coming back from holiday, we play at highbury and for the first time in ages and its NOT boro, reyes has signed and will probably play, arsenal is having tons of promos to better atmosphere, carling cup was postponed thus even our reserves and subs are fresh and well rested... the only low for the game is that vieira is suspended. other than that arsenal will definitely be in high spirits for this match. everything about it seems to be in arsenal's hands and i doubt we will drop the ball now.

i expect the gunners to run city to the ground, show the new reyes just what exactly he got himself into :twisted:

n_henry

We should kill them. He he.

Hopefully Reyes will play too..and it'd be great if he got a goal. ;)

I'm going for an easy Arse win.. 4-1. I think Anelka will score from them at least..

Mark

Established Member
I'd go for...

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Campbell Cole

Ljungberg Parlour Edu Pires

Bergkamp Henry

Toure would be a better option at CB because i doubt Cygan could deal with the pace of Anelka, who by the way will probably be fired up for this one playing at Highbury n all. On paper this should be a big win but Citeh need results desperately and you never know what can happen. I hope Reyes will be available so he can be on the bench to come on later in the game for Bergkamp or Henry when we have a big lead. Although they might be tough to break down at first, they usually break down as the game goes on so I suspect we will win this 4-0. Henry, Ljungberg and two for Pires. Would be nice if Reyes could get his name on the scoresheet too. :D

Arsenal316

Ljungberg and Cygan have ankle injuries, and won't be playing.

So.......

Lehmann

Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Cole

Parlour, Edu, Gilberto, Pires

Reyes, Henry

Subs: Stack, Keown, Bergkamp, Clichy, Bentley.

Gooner83

I think we will play

Lehmann

Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole

Reyes, Parlour, Gilberto, Pires

Bergy, Henry

That looks very strong with Parlour the captain winning the ball in the middle and i dunno if Wenger might prefer Pires on the other side as Reyes has a bullit of a left foot.

Mark

Established Member
if ljungberg doesn't play i think pires would be better on the right then reyes, pires has a better right foot and has played there more than reyes, but i don't know. i don't think he will start to be honest so if freddie is out it'll probably be parlour on the right.

jc8gooner

Ladies, ladies, this ain't the prediction thread. Post your score predictions in SydneyGunnerFan's match prediction thread and the winners of that will be announced after the game!

bergieking

I don't think Reyes will start but i'm sure he will feature at some point. When Seville whooped Madrid he was the difference between the two teams....plenty of nice touches and lots of pace, lets just hope Man City let him play!!!

algunner

I think Reyes will play as a sub may be at 60min gets his debut for Bergkamp. As usual the line up will be the same one and hopefully the score will be huge to emphisise the strength of Arsenal 5-0

JazzG

Established Member
This season City have attacked very well, there has been no problem when it comes to their attack but their defense leaves a lot to be desired. They also waste so many chances infront of goal. Us gooners know very well how good Anelka is, a close eye must be kept on him. We also know about Fowler, that ****ing scouser has caused on grief on more than one occasion, always seems to score against us as well! We need to keep a close eye on them.

Keegan isn't the type to sit back so we can expect them to attack, this is why I think we should win this match. Once you put pressure on them they usually fall apart in spectactular fashion.

I'd love to see Reyes start, I don't think he will but would like to see him upfront with Henry or on the left wing. He will however play in this game, I'm 99% sure. I'm so looking forward to this game, never been so excited about a player joining us!

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould
Top Bottom