• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 08/11/08

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Re: Arsenal vs. Man Utd | Premier League | 8/11/08 | 12:45

JazzG said:
Fair enough and I was only going by what he said. I think he needs to enforce his views onto the side a bit more because after what happened in the Sp**s match to even risk it against Man utd is silly.
That's a pretty weak follow-up to your scathing post above. Andy Gray? You should know better. I personally saw a better awareness of holding possession in the ManU game; we got through six minutes of added time after all. They are young and it is not as easy as it looks.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

_scorpion_ said:
We could have finished the game off in the 90 allocated minutes (if we had the quality to do so as Arsène put it).

You don't take risks 3 minutes into a 6 minute injury time period!

That is called being niave. Especially against United who are notorious for late goals.

As long as we learn from it I'm happy - we got the points, great result. Lets hope it lifts the team now to aim up in all matches - not just meetings against top 4 sides.

If we happen to learn & imporve as the games go by I think most supporters will be pleased with that. You start to have a problem when the team thinks it has nothing to learn or it cannot better itself as a unit when clearly it can.

So when your clear through on goal as Bendnter and Cesc were, you don't go for the goal, instead you run it into the corner, that i don't accept. If the opportunity is there you should take advantage.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Edit: Nothing. I misread a quote. Here's a picture of a cat in an Arsenal shirt just to fill the void:

ARSENAL+CAT.JPG

JazzG

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
JazzG said:
Fair enough and I was only going by what he said. I think he needs to enforce his views onto the side a bit more because after what happened in the Sp**s match to even risk it against Man utd is silly.
That's a pretty weak follow-up to your scathing post above. Andy Gray? You should know better. I personally saw a better awareness of holding possession in the ManU game; we got through six minutes of added time after all. They are young and it is not as easy as it looks.

What is wrong with Gray? More often than not he is complimenting us and even last summer when most pundits had us finishing out of the Top 4 he was saying that was nonsense.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rivals.net/news/pgarticle.aspx?artid=13343_4478703&id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rivals.net/news/pgarticle.as ... 78703&id=2</a>

"We continued to go forward. When you play football in a negative way you put yourself under pressure. We tried to score the third goal.

"We are player-ish, you know. That always takes over. When you are 19 or 20, you want to play. But overall, it was a great performance from my team."

I think those were the comments Andy Gray were referring.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

I have no problem with Andy Gray, he is actually one of the few pundits on Sky Sports that doesnt write us off every season, and have some built-in biased hatred of Arsenal.

Phil Thompson is a first class idiot and Paul Merson is a ****ing clueless idiot, that seems to hold a grudge against Wenger for some reason, and the less said about Jamie Redknapp the better.

Le Tissier & Smith (if not a little biased) are usually pretty good and fair.

Zico

Established Member

Just noticed that Manchester United has only the 7th best away record in the league. Perhaps it does not help that they have had to travel away to all the other big four teams, earning two losses and a draw in those games. I'm sure Ferguson is stewing at those statistics, though. Our record is the 5th best.

What surprised me a little was that Manchester United were very open and disorganized in the last 15 minutes of the game. With some sharper strikers (Eduardo, Adebayor) on the field, we could have decimated them. There were wide open gaps in defense, the defensive midfielders were worse than Denilson, and they were not picking up our attackers. Ferguson praised the open nature of the game, but when he reviews the tape, he is sure to throw a boot at Carrick.

GaelForce22

Established Member

Don't forget good 'ol Charlie. He's always sticking up for us to that muppet Phil Thompson and sometimes Merse.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
JazzG said:
Indeed. The most important thing is to play the game that you are comfortable with on the field. If the team likes to have possession and knows how to attack, use that to their advantage. If you've aimed for the other goal for ninety minutes in a game it's probably not the greatest idea to start passing the ball around in triangles with Fabianski at the receiving end. We want to stop United from coming close to our goal, not having them attack us with every outfield player available.

_scorpion_

Established Member

SimplyFabregas said:
_scorpion_ said:
We could have finished the game off in the 90 allocated minutes (if we had the quality to do so as Arsène put it).

You don't take risks 3 minutes into a 6 minute injury time period!

That is called being niave. Especially against United who are notorious for late goals.

As long as we learn from it I'm happy - we got the points, great result. Lets hope it lifts the team now to aim up in all matches - not just meetings against top 4 sides.

If we happen to learn & imporve as the games go by I think most supporters will be pleased with that. You start to have a problem when the team thinks it has nothing to learn or it cannot better itself as a unit when clearly it can.

So when your clear through on goal as Bendnter and Cesc were, you don't go for the goal, instead you run it into the corner, that i don't accept. If the opportunity is there you should take advantage.

If the opportunity is there - take it by all means. read my posts and you will find I was referring to Sagna & Kolo's contributions in injury time. That kind of crap is not needed!

You don't spend that final 3 minutes of injury time (when your holding a 1 goal advantage) taking pot shots from outside the box when keep ball should be the priority.

Be professionl & close out the game! Get the result you worked hard for in 90 minutes. If by some chance you get a chance - then take it. If not, you don't force the issue....you keep the ball from your opponents.

I doubt you would have felt bad about the result if we spent the last 6 minutes denying Man utd the ball. It is arrogant to think that you should play out the final injury time minutes in all out attack mode against the champions when your holding a narrow lead.

That kind of arrogance hurt us against Sp**s and it will continue to hurt us if we don't learn from it.

dos1986

Established Member

JazzG said:
I actually did do that in Pro Evo, I was playing on-line (that is right once every blue moon you can actually play it online) against a guy who was miles better than me and had been hammering me left right and centre all game long and somehow I had got a flukey lead but the last few minutes I just knocked it about and won the match. The reason I did that was because a few days earlier I was leading against some other guy who I was better than and ended up drawing so I decided to be a bit more smart in future games.

Now if our players started doing this in the 60th minute it is wrong but the 89th min there is nothing wrong at all in my opinion. Especially when defensively you are a shambles like us and against a side like Man utd who had missed a few good chances and were coming at us hard.

I wonder how you would of felt if Man utd had got back to 2-2 which could of very easily happened, I bet those guys who paid £70 would of happily paid another £70 to see one of those players run into the corner and protect the ball like their life depends on it. This current team is in no position to be knocking it about casually and throwing men forward late on because we struggle to keep teams out with all our men back so we are taking a huge gamble if 4 of them are caught high up the pitch.

Why do people care so much about winning anyway?

You dont get to hold the trophy!!

You dont play any part in winning or losing.

You just get to watch them.

You have given them alot of your money and time, like can I at least get to watch something good!!

Re: United game. I would rather draw, than to watch ous throw away the chance of humiliating the reigning champions.

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

GaelForce22 said:
Don't forget good 'ol Charlie. He's always sticking up for us to that muppet Phil Thompson and sometimes Merse.

Lets not forget Phil Thompson has backed Sp**s to finish in the top 4 for the last 3 seasons, and he was the only one this year to predict it.

He & Merson were slagging Arsenal off good and proper before the United game, saying we had no chance and we were gonna get turned over.

Let's face it all of these ex-Liverpool players who are now pundits, Thompson, Lawro & Hanson are all still bitter about 89! ;D

King Puck Paddy

SimplyFabregas said:
GaelForce22 said:

Lets not forget Phil Thompson has backed Sp**s to finish in the top 4 for the last 3 seasons, and he was the only one this year to predict it.

He & Merson were slagging Arsenal off good and proper before the United game, saying we had no chance and we were gonna get turned over.

Let's face it all of these ex-Liverpool players who are now pundits, Thompson, Lawro & Hanson are all still bitter about 89! ;D

Nail on the head.

TBH the three of them are probably the worst pundits on T.V.I have stopped watching MOTD because I feel like tearing my hair out every time they open their gobs.

Cruisio

Established Member

dos1986 said:
JazzG said:
I actually did do that in Pro Evo, I was playing on-line (that is right once every blue moon you can actually play it online) against a guy who was miles better than me and had been hammering me left right and centre all game long and somehow I had got a flukey lead but the last few minutes I just knocked it about and won the match. The reason I did that was because a few days earlier I was leading against some other guy who I was better than and ended up drawing so I decided to be a bit more smart in future games.

Now if our players started doing this in the 60th minute it is wrong but the 89th min there is nothing wrong at all in my opinion. Especially when defensively you are a shambles like us and against a side like Man utd who had missed a few good chances and were coming at us hard.

I wonder how you would of felt if Man utd had got back to 2-2 which could of very easily happened, I bet those guys who paid £70 would of happily paid another £70 to see one of those players run into the corner and protect the ball like their life depends on it. This current team is in no position to be knocking it about casually and throwing men forward late on because we struggle to keep teams out with all our men back so we are taking a huge gamble if 4 of them are caught high up the pitch.

You have given them alot of your money and time, like can I at least get to watch something good!!

Re: United game. I would rather draw, than to watch ous throw away the chance of humiliating the reigning champions.

Have you gone insane? We all know we're not physically on the pitch to enjoy the win but you can bet your life that any true fan enjoys any win as much as the players do. When we drew to Sp**s I guarantee the hurt that alot of us felt was matched by the players aswell. Whats the point in playing competitive sport if you dont try everything to win? If that means running the ball into the corner in the 90th minute when you've got a one goal lead, i'll sure as hell take it

Biggus

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
AnthonyG said:
JazzG said:
Indeed. The most important thing is to play the game that you are comfortable with on the field. If the team likes to have possession and knows how to attack, use that to their advantage. If you've aimed for the other goal for ninety minutes in a game it's probably not the greatest idea to start passing the ball around in triangles with Fabianski at the receiving end. We want to stop United from coming close to our goal, not having them attack us with every outfield player available.

I'd agree with that Klaus that you have to play to your strengths....But Wenger built the team purposly like this, and of course I disagree with his whole strategy of developing a totally attack minded side. We were lucky against Utd but that is the exception that proves the rule, against Sp**s and every time we inevitably crash out of the champions league we see the usual result of such naivety.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

dos1986 said:
JazzG said:

Because Supporters are the 12th player ... We don't hold the thropy in our hand but in our heart

marco

Fantastic game breathtakign stuff. in terms of pace technique, end to end football...
never seen a game played to that tempo before

great atmosphere in the ground throughout the second half and nobody left early which was strange!!
cant fault any of our players all gave 100% throughout.

teh game showed up some deficiencies i.e the desperate need for a holding midfielder... but to come out and get a win like that after the week we had was wonderful..

AliBabaBrewer

Rain Dance said:
dos1986 said:

Because Supporters are the 12th player ... We don't hold the thropy in our hand but in our heart

Plus we don't get out legs broken in half with bone sticking out the sock followed by months of pain and rehabilitation!

Thommybhoy

Established Member

Nasrivsmanure.gif

I didn't manage to find any gif of our game so I made one, I't not good, but I made it so I can put it on backscreen of my mobile phone.
I also did this old one, but great memory it is
FabregasvsMilan.gif

If someone wants to know how to do a better one with more quality it just ask ;)

gunner_down_under

Brilliant Thommyboy! Its amazing, he actually waited for a fraction of a second, set himself up for that rocket....Vidic was close to it though. The strike was near perfection! If that was Ade, it would've ended up in the Z row.

And of course, the placement of Cesc's strike!

*goes off for a quick *****

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom