• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 08/11/08

hujja

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs. Man Utd | Premier League | 8/11/08 | 12:45

stiiphunn said:
I gotta say Man U really impressed me on this one. Can't remember the last time a team dominated us at the Emirates - this may even be the first time!

All this talk about domination is bordering on the disturbingly kinky.

General

Established Member

mags said:
Fans would have been all over Webb if the Gunners had lost....
Fans are fickle.....
Webb is overrated......
A beauty of a game...
Fergy said it all...You won't see another game like that in the PL...
Savor it....

Too damn right!

General

Established Member

stiiphunn said:
True mags. It was a cracking game. Credit to both teams, they played in a positive way and gave everything for 90 minutes - that really was beautiful! I gotta say Man U really impressed me on this one. Can't remember the last time a team dominated us at the Emirates - this may even be the first time!

Chelsea did dominate us with 10men in 06/07.

United's movement in the final third is the best in the country if not Europe. We looked short of confidence and it showed. Tactically, this Arsenal team still looks naive. Song came on and was immediately pressing in the opposition half leaving big gaps behind, I thought WTF. Leave that to Cesc and Denilson and protect the back four.

Happy with the win but the cracks still remain.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

Isnt Man Utd's defence supposed to be one of the best in Europe. Looking at the game yesterday they didnt look any better than our defence, and we were leading the line with one 4th choice striker in Bendtner (not 3 first choice supposedly proven world class forwards in Rooney, Berbatov & Ronaldo as United were), and we made them look pretty average, we caused them just as much trouble as they did us.

We have a better goalkeeper.

We have better Full Backs.

Plus judging by yesterday's perfomance, their Centre Half's aint half as good as there made out to be.

What Man Utd do have though is a better balance between Defence and Attack, or in other words better protection for their defence.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

General said:
Everyone has cracks. We just tend, understandably, to scrutinise ours more closely.

General

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
General said:
Everyone has cracks. We just tend, understandably, to scrutinise ours more closely.

Not really. We have bigger cracks than United and Chelsea. Fact.

ricky1985

Established Member

Does anyone else think that after watching our defence yesterday, play really well, that we could return to the old days away from home, sitting deep, and exploding on the break?

I feel away from home, its the best way to play. United, Chelsea and Liverpool do it really well, and we used to do it better than anyone in the 'Invincibles' days.

With Toure and Gallas at centre back we havent been able to do it, because we couldnt win the aerial battles, meaning the deeper our defence, the further fowrard our opponents point of attack.
We had to deploy a high line and squeeze the game. Works well against most teams, but can leave you woefully exposed against some opposition.
Now with Gallas and Silvestre we look capable of winning headers and absorbing pressure.

With players like Walcott, Nasri, Van Persie and Adebayor we could be devastating on the break, whilst maintaining a defensive solidity. It worked so well in our Champions League run in 2005/06. We just sat, organised and disciplined, and exploded at lightning pace on the break.

Can Silvestre give us similar attributes to Sol Campbell, albeit to a lesser standard?

General

Established Member

SimplyFabregas said:
Isnt Man Utd's defence supposed to be one of the best in Europe. Looking at the game yesterday they didnt look any better than our defence, and we were leading the line with one 4th choice striker in Bendtner (not 3 first choice supposedly proven world class forwards in Rooney, Berbatov & Ronaldo as United were), and we made them look pretty average, we caused them just as much trouble as they did us.

We have a better goalkeeper.

We have better Full Backs.

Plus judging by yesterday's perfomance, their Centre Half's aint half as good as there made out to be.

What Man Utd do have though is a better balance between Defence and Attack, or in other words better protection for their defence.

It's been underestimated the job Diaby did for us yesterday but he was key in ensuring that Bendtner was never isolated. His ability to buy time on the ball is next to none. Reading the reaction from some United fans and they called him a total pain.

As Wenger said, the difference in the this game was taken chances. We took ours, United didn't. And don't be mistaken - Vidic/Rio is one of the most balanced, strongest and consistent CB pairing in Europe. Measure them over 38 games not 1. Your last paragraph is spot on.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

General said:
As Wenger said, the difference in the this game was taken chances. We took ours, United didn't. And don't be mistaken - Vidic/Rio is one of the most balanced, strongest and consistent CB pairing in Europe. Measure them over 38 games not 1. Your last paragraph is spot on.
That's a very fair comment. But still, fact is that Rio and Vidic hasn't been even close to their form of last season if you measure them over the games they've played so far this year. Our defenders has been at least as good as them. Which really isn't a compliment, but still.

Cruisio

Established Member

I think that's because they've had an inconsistance partner infront of them. Anderson didnt start the season and has been in and out and Hargreaves has been injured, so they're often left exposed by Flecther or O'Shea sometimes.

It's why our defence looks so dodgy at times, because whats infront of them isn't giving them enough protection

General

Established Member

Klaus Daimler said:
General said:
That's a very fair comment. But still, fact is that Rio and Vidic hasn't been even close to their form of last season if you measure them over the games they've played so far this year. Our defenders has been at least as good as them. Which really isn't a compliment, but still.

Form is temporary, class is......

They've still conceded 10 goals to our 13 in the PL.

I think for us - Silvestre-Gallas is the way to go. It certainly looks balanced and could give us the stability we need.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

'We took our chances, United didnt'

We only took 2, we wasted half a dozen others. United didnt create any more clear cut chances than we did, Bendtner could and proberly should of had scored two headers from Nasri & Clichy's crosses. Not to mention Diaby's blocked shot, Silvestre's effot, aswell as Cesc's shot, and thats forgetting the 3 or 4 counter attacks we ****ed up aswell.

In no way did United outplay us or dominate us, if everyone had taken their chances it would proberly have been something like 6-6.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

General said:
AnthonyG said:
General said:
Not really. We have bigger cracks than United and Chelsea. Fact.
Erm, OK. We have bigger cracks than United and Chelsea, who must then have cracks no? Fact? Somebody needs a nap. :lol:

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

To be honest Silvestre maybe some ex-United ****, but he looks dedicated to the cause, provides us with some much needed aerial ability and balance, and if we can calm his 'blunder a game' down, then Toure/Silvestre or Gallas/Silvestre partnership may just provide at least a somewhat formidable defence for us this season.

I'll say it, Silvestre was a good shrewd buy by Wenger, still doesnt excuse the fact that Wenger, should have gone out and bought a top quality World Class defender aswell!

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

SimplyFabregas said:
I'll say it, Silvestre was a good shrewd buy by Wenger, still doesnt excuse the fact that Wenger, should have gone out and bought a top quality World Class defender aswell!
Yeah, it looks like we might have to wait for Nordtveit for that.

General

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
Fact.Erm, OK. We have bigger cracks than United and Chelsea, who must then have cracks no? Fact? Somebody needs a nap. :lol:

Aye? Did anyone mention United and Chelsea have no cracks? If I said my c*ck iss bigger than yours, does this imply you haven't a c*ck? Comprehension, comprehension, comprehension!

Fact is United/Chelsea do have their shortcomings, just not as big as ours.

And it's 4:30pm in England babe. Not 'nap' time yet. :p

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

General said:
How do you know it wasn't me huh? :wink: Saloon-bar sophistry, got to love it.

General

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
General said:
How do you know it wasn't me huh? :wink: Saloon-bar sophistry, got to love it.

Yeah. Aren't I the lucky one. :wink:

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

General said:
Klaus Daimler said:
General said:

Form is temporary, class is......
... dependent on form to show itself? :wink:

But yeah, they probably are better than our centrebacks (though you would have a hard time making that case if Gallas continues to play like he did yesterday). And sure, we've conceded three more goals than they have - not a big difference by any means - but we've scored five more as well going forwards. Things like that tend to even themselves out, illustrated by us being so close to United in the league table (we're two points above right now with one more game played).

General said:
I think for us - Silvestre-Gallas is the way to go. It certainly looks balanced and could give us the stability we need.
I'm with you on that one. Silvestre has impressed me a lot since he got into the side, and he's still improving.

SimplyFabregas

Established Member

How many times this season have we been able to play the same pairing two games in a row?

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Latest posts

Top Bottom