<

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal, February 3rd, 16:30 Sky Sports

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by Rex Banter, Jan 29, 2019.

?

Will Arsenal beat Bald Fraud FC?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. Draw

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

I agree with some of this. His handling of the Özil situation isn't ideal. I'm a big fan of Özil, and my feelings on it are quite mixed. I think obvious inferior players are being used. I think that we hardly have been more defensively sound in his absence. But I do feel like Özil has let the fans down a bit too so it's hardly unjustified.

Game crying out for him? Yeah perhaps. I thought that. But I feel like it's the theoretical Özil, rather than the reality of what he's shown us in big matches.

I am unsure about emery, but i think he needs time and patience. We are exactly where our squads talent level belongs. A top heavy squad with a lack of balance, poor defensive structure to build on that will need to pull some transfer rabbit's out of hats.
    He's had one real window. Let's give him at least another.

m-due and Discodad like this.
  2. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Emery doesn't rate him

3. Gooner_girl14

Gooner_girl14 Well-Known Member

Was definitely crying out for him when we were two goals down, looked creatively clueless and our strikers barely touched the ball. Iwobi (who was all out of confidence by that stage), Kolasinac and Suarez being favoured as offensive outlets over Özil is mind boggling, at least to me.

m-due likes this.
  4. MikeVinna

MikeVinna Well-Known Member

If you’re trying to force something with the few times you’ll have the ball I’d want that ball with Mesut rather than Ramsey or Suarez.

Suarez already preferred over Özil is pretty much the nail in his Arsenal coffin. Shame.

m-due and Gooner_girl14 like this.
  5. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Please stop talking about Özil. There's nothing more boring. I can't wait till he's sold just so I no longer have to see this boring discussion.

Maybe, Notorious Big and Tir Na Nog like this.
  6. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Interesting looking at Pep's tactics for the game.

Essentially with the ball their team looked like this.

Ederson
    Walker Otamendi Laporte
    Fernandinho Gundogan
    Bernardo KDB Silva Sterling
    Aguero
    Walker and Laporte were still essentially playing as full-backs a lot of the time despite playing a CB less than usual. Pep was confident enough that Otamendi was able to cope with the potential threat of Auba and Lacazette (less so than Auba because he doesn't really make runs to stretch defences) all on his own, though I suppose the recovery pace of Walker would have also been helpful had we shown more of a threat in that regard. They had such a numerical advantage on the ball, kept trying to suck us to the right hand side which would mean Sterling would end up free on his own. The side which they'd end up punishing us in their 2nd and 3rd goals (the first as well but that was more an error on our behalf than them doing that).

Without the ball, and at times in the latter stages of the second half they were more than happy to let us have possession which was unusual for a Pep team, they'd revert back to their typical 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 shape with Fernandinho partnering Otamendi in the back 4 and Gundogan doing the role that Fernandinho usually carries out. Heck at one stage they were almost 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 when Silva went to the left side and Sterling was given more of a free license to go more centrally behind the striker.

Maybe, m-due and Discodad like this.
  7. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

Yes, because City pinned us back and we couldn't get the ball off them.

The most effective way to create goalscoring opportunities away from home is to force the opposition into mistakes when they aren't defensively set. To do that you have to press and maximise the width of the pitch and create turnovers. We did it for spells in the first half as a team but stopped in the 2nd when we ran out of legs.

8. Gooner_girl14

And you don't think Özil could have done a better job with that than our new loanee Suarez?

9. Gooner_girl14

LOL I agree the discussion has been beaten to death but while he's still in the squad and getting paid his pretty pennies, Emery may was well use him!

Leeroy1979 likes this.
  10. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

I don't think either was the answer, but Suarez is more versatile and able to play from deep.

11. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Well he didn't do anything when he came on against United.

12. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Özil wouldn't have done nothing he done nothing against Cardiff at home I don't think he'll do better away against PL champ

13. Gooner_girl14

Maybe, but he's only had 9 appearances for Barca this season and coming to a new league (don't think it matters much that he was a youngster at City), I don't think bringing him on when we're chasing 2 goals was ever going to amount to much.

14. Leeroy1979

Leeroy1979 Well-Known Member

Watched the game and then had a look on here, I have to say some if the negativity really shocks me.

Truth is we lost an away game we all knew deep down would be a tough ask to get anything out of. At this moment in time they'd are a far better side than us with a point to grove after slipping up against newcastle.

I am as gutted as anyone with the result but to call for emery to go and judge Suarez already is just madness.

The team worked it's nuts off and ran out of steam....klopp didnt transition Liverpool into a consistent high pressing team in this little time so why do we think emery can?

The club also has a duty of care to nurture young talent properly, calling for youngsters to be thrown to the wolves when we are up against it just isn't fair on them.

kopzilla, Fallout and m-due like this.
  15. Gooner_girl14

He was decent against United when he came on but that game was gone when we lost our two CBs.

16. Gooner_girl14

But we won vs Cardiff?? Unless you think every other player except Özil deserves credit for that?

17. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

We won but Özil was disappointing

18. Beast Incarnate

Beast Incarnate Well-Known Member

How many ****, half-arsed performances do we have to see from Özil before our fans realise he not this saviour and the answer to all our prayers?

He's been phoning it in ever since he signed that contract. The fact he's not fussed about not being involved in the first team speaks volumes about where his head is at - in semi-retirement.

Maybe likes this.
  19. Gooner_girl14

I'm not too negative about this defeat as it was to be expected, but I'm just disappointed that we didn't show more fight in the second half when we were in the contest. Emery looked clueless, took too long to make the changes (which is unlike him) and it showed as we had no attempts on goal.

20. Hope

Hope Less

Which game you saw??

The only good thing in the first half was Özil. He created space and opportunities in the first half.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.