• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Portsmouth vs Arsenal | 19/12/04

seb_afc

Established Member
with a hard earned point againts chelsea, i think weve shown everyone we are back and that our confidance is poor. however we still havent managed to defend set pieces. hopefully we can solve this problem at portsmouth.

Mark

Established Member
We must play this lineup:

Almunia

Lauren Toure Campbell Clichy

Freddie Vieira Flamini Pires

RvP Henry

Subs: 1. Reyes 2. Pennant 3. Fabregas 4. Hoyte 5. Lehmann

Cole and Fabregas need a rest and Bergkamp and Reyes just need to be dropped.

Arsenal as a whole need to get a good run of wins going. We went on a run of 9 games in a row last season that really took us to the title. We need a run like that. We need consistency. We need to put pressure on Chelsea. They are bound to slip up at some point. F*cking come on Arsenal!!!

Mark

Established Member
kevin earley said:
we showed that we ar over the BAD SPELL so portsmouth should be a walk over

We took 2 points off them last season. That's the kind of complacency we don't need.

kanuuu

Established Member
Mark said:

Almunia

RvP Henry

Arsenal as a whole need to get a good run of wins going. We went on a run of 9 games in a row last season that really took us to the title. We need a run like that. We need consistency. We need to put pressure on Chelsea. They are bound to slip up at some point. F*cking come on Arsenal!!!

Completely agree with that lineup.

Chicago

I always liked Reyes better as a sub than Freddie or Pires(he could still play striker if need be but we have rvp and bergkamp), he was explosive off the bench when he first got here, and also in the beginning of the year he was starting and doing well but whatever the reason, he needs to go back to what was working, maybe he's got some injuries, maybe he's having trouble adjusting to the physicality of some teams, but regardless, with the exception of Rosenborg, his form hasn't been 1/2 of what it was in the beginning.

AFCG7

Established Member
I agree with that lineup.. Cole looks like he could use a break for a couple of games. Same with Reyes and Cesc.. Bergkamp cant operate against teams with a 5 man midfield because at his age he needs a bit more time and space.
By the way.. i dont like the "we should expect to win" mentality.. we should go out there with the idea that we need to thrash Pompey.. dont even give them a sniff.

kel varnsen

Established Member
kanuuu said:
Mark said:

Almunia

RvP Henry

Completely agree with that lineup.

i third that! van persie deserves to be in the starting elevn now! cole struggled today and i think his injury is troubling him. pires put in a great performance today and ljungberg is on fire right now. that means reyes and bergkamp on the bench...

Canuck

Established Member
I'd be suprised if we didn't see more of Flamini now. Sounds like people feel that Almunia gave a good account of himself and deserves to stay on in goal.

AFCG7

Established Member
Well Almunia deserves to be given a fair chance.. if he is picked for the next few games we'll be able to rate him properly.Its difficult for a keeper to come in and be brilliant right away..although some can come in and do so well.. like Postma did in the Villa game.

XxGoonaStuxX

When is Edu back? Clichy is an enormous talent and should be played in order for Cole to rest. Also I think it is VERY likeley RvP will get his 1st premiership start this weekend.

XxGoonaStuxX

Also... Almunia did well, no point whatsoever playing him for 3 games then dropping him, he's proved hismelf not to be crap as everyone was saying. He hasn't been given a real run of games and with some more PL experience under his belt we can see what he's really made of.

Stim

Mark said:

Almunia

RvP Henry

Couldn't agree more.

koivu

Stim said:
Mark said:

Almunia

RvP Henry

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto here. We'll see what Arsène decides to do. I'm sure he wants to rest Henry at some point as well but I guess this wouldn't be a good time. I really rate Clichy, the kid is outstanding!

Asterix

Established Member
Line up sounds good but I doubt Cole would be rested - Wenger won't change things that much. I agree with giving Robin a run out though.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Mark said:

Almunia

RvP Henry

like many others in this thread i agree with this line up. Clichy is more than capable of taking over from Cole and therefore giving him a rest. Agreed with the midfield pairing Flamini, he had a great game yesterday and that would give Cesc a rest who has been outstanding. Van Persie is a great addition into the starting lineup, im sure he would have made a bigger impact than he did yesterday if he was introduction earlier so this could be his chance to have a full game.

Good luck Arsenal, we need to keep the pressure on Chelsea.

patrick42uk

Established Member
there is 7 days till the next game, enough time for resting. wenger should go with the strongest team available IMO.

i really feared the prospect of playing this game a couple of weeks ago. harry knew how to get this pompey side up for the games against arsenal and that yakubu can cause anyone problems. harry is gone now and i think yakubu might be injured. its a good chance to get a confidence boosting victory.

kel varnsen

Established Member
...on Ljungberg's fitness
"Freddie is not too well, I don't think he will be ready for next Sunday. He had another migraine last night, we had to send him back home. The doctor said now we have to keep him at least 4 or 5 days out of training."
from arsenal.com

man, those headaches are pretty bad. too bad; freddie was doing really well before all this migraine thing. hope he can retain his form despite this problem...

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom