• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - CL: Arsenal vs Dinamo Kiev | 25/11/08

qs

Established Member
Re: Arsenal v Dynamo Kiev 1-0 Match Ratings

Almunia - 6 a good save and nearly getting beaten on his near post again evens it out. Ok performance.

Djourou - 6 solid defensively but lacked going forward, as you'd expect froma centre half at right back
Gallas - 6 looked nervy too me, made one huge **** up but was ok over all
Silvestre - 4 rubbish. Beaten by his man, gave away so many passes, did nothing of merit to even out the ****ness. Very, very poor. This guys a joke, we should have stuck with Senderos.
Clichy - 8 really good. Worked hard and constantly gave support to the attack when no one else was available.

Ramsey - 5 looked uncomfortable out wide constantly tried to come inside but with their defensive set up he couldn't find any space
El Capitan - 8 MOTM worked hard, looked inventive, great ball in the end for Nik. Excellent display, great to see him back to his old self. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Song - 4 I wont say he did nothing because that wouldn't be fair he did make a couple of challenges but his passing was absolutely terrible. Lost possession far too much.
Denilson - 5 Like Ramsey wasn't comfortable on the left wing but did a better job than the Welshman, held his position better and closed down well but lacked the pace to hurt them.

Van Persie - 5 poor performance. Was easily marked out of the game, couple of decent dead balls wasn't enough to save his game.
Vela - 7 worked hard, beat the defence a few times, needed more support but looked lively and clever.

Subs
Bendtner 7 after a run of poor form Nik needed to show why Wenger believes in him and he did that tonight. Even before the goal he showed much better control than in recent games.
Wilshere 6 light weight at times but extremely classy at others. His ability to trick defenders into giving him space is second to none. He's going to be a class act when he matures.

Wenger 7 - in dropping Nik for Carlos he not only allowed the MExican show us he's well capable but also showed Bendtner than he'll have to fight for his place in this team. Only a shame a few more players weren't so comfortable.

Lukazan

Established Member

I don't think Vela showed he is 'well capable' at all tonight. I thought he was very poor and looked lost at times.

CC for now.

ricky1985

Established Member

sesquioxide said:
Can anyone explain to me why some people are giving higher ratings to van Persie than to Vela? Van Persie left Vela up isolated, and Vela was helping defend from the front. Vela also created a lot more than van Persie. Surely he deserved better ratings?

I've taken off my Van Persie tinted glasses, and am now seriously doubting his worth to the team. Seems quite a few must still have them on.

ricky1985

Established Member

Lukazan said:
I don't think Vela showed he is 'well capable' at all tonight. I thought he was very poor and looked lost at times.

CC for now.

How did Van Persie look to you then?

Vela had no support whatsoever. No passing options. He showed some great touches, and his movement was first class.

lagos

Established Member

Almunia 7

Djourou 6
Gallas 6
Silvestre 5
Clichy 7

Ramsey 5
Fabregas 7
Song 4
Denilson 4

Van Persie 5
Vela 5

Subs
Bendtner 7
Wilshere 6

Lukazan

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
Lukazan said:

CC for now.

Vela had no support whatsoever. No passing options. He showed some great touches, and his movement was first class.

This is a match ratings thread, one I have posted in. Scroll upwards son, and you'll see how I think RVP looked. He gets a 4, in other words he looked bollocks.

qs

Established Member

Lukazan said:

CC for now.

You gave him less than van Persie. Thats nonsense. Robin was terrible tonight, never supported Vela. I wasnt to see Ade and Vela together. I think they'd click. Vela needs an outlet as much as he can be one himself.

ricky1985

Established Member

Lukazan said:
ricky1985 said:
Lukazan said:

CC for now.

This is a match ratings thread, one I have posted in. Scroll upwards son, and you'll see how I think RVP looked. He gets a 4, in other words he looked bollocks.

Sorry I didnt get across what I meant there very well.

What I was trying to say is Van Persie is a proven Premiership player, but looked total **** tonight. So doesnt that tell you that it was very difficult for Vela to look top class tonight, based on what was around him?

Edit - BTW just noticed your 'son' remark. There is no need for stupid remarks like that is there?

Lukazan

Established Member

RVP has looked total **** for what seems like an eternity though, to be fair. This season he's had one game I recall that I'd class above average. The team were very poor though, so maybe you have a point on Vela. However, it's my opinion that Vela isn't ready to be starting games for us anywhere outside of the CC.

ricky1985

Established Member

Lukazan said:
RVP has looked total s**t for what seems like an eternity though, to be fair. This season he's had one game I recall that I'd class above average. The team were very poor though, so maybe you have a point on Vela. However, it's my opinion that Vela isn't ready to be starting games for us anywhere outside of the CC.

Fair enough.

sesquioxide

qs said:
Lukazan said:

CC for now.

You gave him less than van Persie. Thats nonsense. Robin was terrible tonight, never supported Vela. I wasnt to see Ade and Vela together. I think they'd click. Vela needs an outlet as much as he can be one himself.

Lukazan not only rated Vela less than van Persie, he rated Vela as the worst player on the pitch along with Gallas. That is seriously unfair.

And van Persie's lack of support for Vela was criminal. Ramsey often got in the box faster and more often to help Vela than van Persie. How are we supposed to score with their 4-6 men back in defense with just the 2 of them and with van Persie being slow to help? It's no surprise we scored off a set piece.

oba101

RvP's recent performances have been worrying. He was quite poor today, always making the wrong decisions, but he'd have scored if Gallas didn't make that 'goal line clearance'. And Vela was okay, and as Ricky said, his movement was really good, but he really didn't have any options, RvP was dropping a little TOO deep, and their defence was very tidy, they booted everything away, and we weren't making any clear-cut chances, but our build up was very organised at times, Cesc was great in his first game as the captain, Denilson won many fouls, and was quite good at the left wing, though it isn't his natural position, and Clichy helped alot there, defensively and offensively, and Djourou was decent at RB, Gallas and Silvestre were rather poor, that offside they had ruled wrongly could have cost us. And Wilshere is very promising. He should get subbed on more often.

Almunia - 7

Djourou - 6
Gallas - 6
Silvestre - 5
Clichy -7

Ramsey -6
Fab -8
Song -5
Denilson -6

Van Persie -5
Vela -6

Subs
Bendtner-7
Wilshere-7

IBL

Established Member

lagosgooner said:
Almunia 7

Djourou 6
Gallas 6
Silvestre 5
Clichy 7

Ramsey 5
Fabregas 7
Song 4
Denilson 4

Van Persie 5
Vela 5

Subs
Bendtner 7
After catching up on watching the game I'd agree with that

bertlb2

Almunia - Very good game. I liked Jens more than most people here, and I like Manuel a lot too. Whatever some people say, he is miles ahead of Lukas.
Djourou - Wenger was never going to play Gallas RB and Djourou with Silvestre in the middle. The Swiss looked quicker than I thought he was, but that is about it. He was willing to forward, credit to him, but overall he was average.
Gallas - He looked nervous and did more than the one mistake. But he is a top-level CB, and you could see it against Kiev. I hope he stays.
Silvestre - Should thank the lino, because all the marginal offside decisions went for Arsenal today, and Silvestre was more often than otherwise the last defender. He should be a squad player, like he was at United.
Clichy - Business as usual really. He had a few bad games recently, but this was a good one. Clichy against Bosingwa this weekend? It doesn't get much better.

Ramsey - I like what I saw. Lost possession a bit too much. His teammates will learn how to play with him as the season progresses. Especially in the second half, he was left alone on the right but our other mids prefered to go the other way. Doesn't have the engine to play 90 mins at that level.

Fabregas - Sometimes dropped too deep. I feel you can do that with Nasri in the team or with someone who can play the killer pass quickly, but with Song and Denilson, Fabregas dropping that deep allowed time for Kiev to regroup at the back. Don't get me wrong, he played well, but I am not a big fan of the role distribution right now.

Song - Was a fit senior player. That is why he played. Very average football brain, slow. I still don't know what Wenger likes in him, apart from his size. Good idea to play him in this game though.

Denilson - The good, the bad and the ugly. He is asked to play left, right, DM, more advanced, whatever. Wenger doesn't help him making him play the utility man every game. Last year, Wenger gambled on Flamini knowing he had Gilberto and Diarra to back him up. He is gambling on Denilson without any plan B.

Van Persie - Is he fully fit? He was ok, but not as dangerous as I think he was a couple of years ago.

Vela - This lad is good. I am not sure playing him in the same XI as Walcott is a good idea, but Walcott is out. At the moment he is very much better suited for a 4-3-3.

Bendtner - Looks clueless when he starts and much better when he comes on. Good finish but that is about it really. The goal should never have stood.

Wilshere - You need a goal and you bring on a 16-years old. It says something about the guy, and something about the situation the club is into aswell.

qs

Established Member

Lukazan said:
RVP has looked total s**t for what seems like an eternity though, to be fair. This season he's had one game I recall that I'd class above average. The team were very poor though, so maybe you have a point on Vela. However, it's my opinion that Vela isn't ready to be starting games for us anywhere outside of the CC.

Yeah van Persie is worrying me I have to admit. He still gets his fair share of goals but he isn't the player he was. His free kicks have gone to **** too. Fair enough he hit a couple of decent in swingers at the keeper today but they'll never go in, in the real danger areas he's lost his ability to produce a bit of magic. Worse still he never beats his man anymore (cue Sabre blaming Wenger). Add to the he never follows up, he drifts too far out of the danger areas and he doesn't appear to be linking well with any of the other strikers it really doesn't bode well for him.

As for Vela I think we need to settle him ASAP. I want to see him partnered with Ade until Eduardo returns. The Ade/Eddie partnership was the best we've seen in the last 18 months and Vela is closest to that.

This thing of having Robin or Nik drop into the hole or even just sticking Diaby in there is a joke. Why does a team with such an attacking midfield, all supposed play makers need a link man anyway? If Wenger wants Denilson, Fabregas and Nasri all in the midfield then give them strikers to hit passes too. Advanced strikers who'll stretch defences. Thats where we miss Eddie, he and Ade held the line, defenders had to follow Dudus runs and it left space. Having Robin and Nik stood 10 yards in front of the defence looking at it creates sweet **** all.

Well this probably wasn't the best thread for that but I started typing and thats what came out. We need 2 proper strikers, not some half striker, half attacking mid, wannabe Bergkamp.

dutchMasta

I don't understand what's up with RVP. He's lost almost everything he was good for. I honestly thought he'd be one of those guys that you just can't let shoot or he'll nail the top corner with a swerving powerful shot, every single time. But his accuracy has completely gone, he's missed some guilt-edged chances this season, many close range and he just blasts over.

Plus, he really can't deal with the physical aspect of the game, looks way too fragile and with his fiery and unpredictable mentality, I really can't tell when he's going to crack and just knock someone out ala Sorensen. These were all improvements in his game, his little bit of magic, his mentality, his passing, his cool finishing, and now he's seemed to have lost it all.

Worried for him, if he doesn't get back to what he used to be and improve on that, he just won't be good enough for us. And he really needs to stop coming back to the half way line.

Rohit

Established Member

RvP has still made no progress at all with respect to playing with his back towards goal. Whether it is body strength or the ability to use his body i don't know.

Facing goal, he is still a darn good player. I am starting to think if he should actually be played on the right wing now.

kel varnsen

Established Member

Almunia - 7

Djourou - 4
Gallas - 4
Silvestre - 4
Clichy - 6

Ramsey - 4
El Capitan - 7
Song - 4
Denilson - 4

Van Persie - 4
Vela - 5

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom